Do you want Johnny Manziel at #8?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Do you want Johnny Manziel at #8?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 100

akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Do you want Johnny Manziel at #8?

Post by akvikingsfan »

dead_poet wrote:
Their games are nowhere near similar. Not even remotely.
You might be right. I'm just going based off their stats, the conference they played in, and the offensive schemes (both played in the spread). Both have a run around and lob the ball up mentality. Both take off running the second the pocket breaks down. However, Manziel does have much better mechanics. I can see how some would say that their style is vastly different, but to me I see a lot of similarities. Also, I don't have a link at the moment, but I remember seeing where Warren Moon made the same comment that they were very similar in their play.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

akvikingsfan wrote: You might be right. I'm just going based off their stats, the conference they played in, and the offensive schemes (both played in the spread). Both have a run around and lob the ball up mentality. Both take off running the second the pocket breaks down. However, Manziel does have much better mechanics. I can see how some would say that their style is vastly different, but to me I see a lot of similarities. Also, I don't have a link at the moment, but I remember seeing where Warren Moon made the same comment that they were very similar in their play.
If you're going to play the stat game, let's compare apples to apples. You're comparing two years of Manziel to four years of Tebow. These stats are more accurate:

Tebow (using '07 and '08 stats): 426 completions; 648 attempts; 65.7%; 6,032 yards, 62 TDs (pass); 10 INTs; 386 Rush Attempts; 1,568 Rush Yards; 35 Rush TDs
Manziel (using '12 and '13 stats): 595 completions; 863 attempts; 68.9% 7,820 yards, 63 TDs (pass); 22 INTs; 345 Rush Attempts; 2,169 Rush Yards; 30 Rush TDs

As you mentioned, their mechanics are very different (Manziel is superior in nearly every way). Manziel is also miles ahead as far as accuracy at all levels. I also don't think Manziel has reached his ceiling as a passer, especially with the right coaching staff.

He could flop, sure. But I don't think it would be for the same reasons as Tebow. I also think he's going to have a longer career. If both quarterbacks were coming out this year, I can't believe many would put Tebow above Manziel. YMMV>
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

I'd be very accurate too if I had a WR like Mike Evans to catch every lob I throw up.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

King James wrote:I'd be very accurate too if I had a WR like Mike Evans to catch every lob I throw up.
Texas Vike will be here to collect his dollar shortly. :-)
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Funkytown wrote: Texas Vike will be here to collect his dollar shortly. :-)
I have electronic transfer now… I don't even need to collect anymore! :lol:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Manziel made strong impressions against Alabama
Someone I sought out for the story was Phil Savage, the former Cleveland Browns general manager who is now the executive director of the Senior Bowl. He also does color commentary on the Crimson Tide’s radio broadcasts, so he had a bird’s eye view for both of those games. During our phone conversation, Savage was surprised by how much Manziel grew from the first time he played Alabama to the second, a game that Texas A&M lost.

“I spent a good amount of time in advance of the rematch game studying him,” Savage said. “I would say that a year ago, I was very much a downer in terms of his future NFL prospects. But after watching the vast majority of his tape and seeing what he did against Alabama in the rematch game, it was actually one of the few times when a quarterback actually exceeded the first time around against a Nick Saban-coached defense.”

Savage said the last time he could remember that happening was Drew Brees, when he was the quarterback at Purdue and Saban was the head coach at Michigan State. In 1998, Brees tossed two fourth-quarter touchdowns as Purdue rallied to beat Michigan State by a point. A year later, Brees exploded for 509 passing yards and five touchdowns in another win.

Manziel's experience versus Saban’s defense was similar. He threw for 253 yards and two touchdowns and ran for another 92 yards while beating Bama in Tuscaloosa as a redshirt freshman. In the rematch, Manziel threw for 464 yards and five touchdowns and rushed for 98 yards. His 562 total yards were the second-most in SEC history.

That performance in College Station also wowed NFL Network draft guru Mike Mayock.

“The first tape I put in was Alabama and I put the tape down about two hours later and I said, ‘Wow, that was awesome, that was really fun to watch,’” Mayock said on a recent conference call. “The kid makes throws, he allows his other players to make plays. He gives Mike Evans a chance to make plays, he extends plays. He was like a combination of Fran Tarkenton and Doug Flutie.”
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 28191.html
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

“The first tape I put in was Alabama and I put the tape down about two hours later and I said, ‘Wow, that was awesome, that was really fun to watch,’” Mayock said on a recent conference call. “The kid makes throws, he allows his other players to make plays. He gives Mike Evans a chance to make plays, he extends plays. He was like a combination of Fran Tarkenton and Doug Flutie.”
Ooooo :P

Mayock is one of the few I take seriously, and that seems like pretty darn high praise from him.

If Manziel can live up to a lot of the "love" he gets, I imagine he'll have a fine NFL career. I'm actually rooting for the kid, purple or not.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

LOL, these are the type of comparison DP made about Ponder for 2 years. But its not even close when a comparison is made about JFB. Funny stuff.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

King James wrote:I'd be very accurate too if I had a WR like Mike Evans to catch every lob I throw up.
I know I am prolly the only person on earth to say this, but watching Evans adjust to some of the routes and make some of those catches from JFB, I would take him over Watkins. Which might prove I know very little about WR's. I do study QBs though.
But Evans has Jone's type of stardom written all over him. But so does Watkins.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:LOL, these are the type of comparison DP made about Ponder for 2 years. But its not even close when a comparison is made about JFB. Funny stuff.
I said Ponder was a combination of Fran Tarkenton and Doug Flutie? That's news. :confused:
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I am NOT thrilled with the prospect. He is another "stretch" play for the draft. I had enough of that with Ponder. We Vike fans have waited far too long to get a premier QB. I don't want a Mike Vick type who can only run an option and scurry around. I don't want a short guy who has over come his limitiations like Flutie/Tebow. I want a great guy in the pocket who CAN scramble a bit. Its been too many decades. Its time to get it right.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

fiestavike wrote:
I'm with you on Evans. I think he is a QBs best friend. He will help make whatever QB he is playing with much better and players that can do that are truly valuable.

Agreed. I think he's going to bbe better and last longer than Watkins. Too bad we aren't in the position to draft him.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Wouldn't hate CP84 and Evans on the outside with GJ in the slot.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Funkytown wrote: Ooooo :P

Mayock is one of the few I take seriously, and that seems like pretty darn high praise from him.

If Manziel can live up to a lot of the "love" he gets, I imagine he'll have a fine NFL career. I'm actually rooting for the kid, purple or not.

Back in 2011 Mayock said that Blaine Gabbert was going to be the top QB of that draft. Here's the list. Mayock opinions are somewhat overrated. He usually has good eye overall on talent but he is not a QB guru.

1. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri
2. Jake Locker, Washington
3. Cam Newton, Auburn
4. Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
T-5. Andy Dalton, T.C.U.
T-5. Ricky Stanzi, Iowa
T-5. Colin Kaepernick, Nevada
T-5. Pat Devlin, Delaware
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

King James wrote:Mayock opinions are somewhat overrated.
The same could be said for any "expert." But I feel like Mayock really knows his stuff.
He usually has good eye overall on talent but he is not a QB guru.
...yeah? And who is?