Do you want Johnny Manziel at #8?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Do you want Johnny Manziel at #8?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 100

Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Do you want Johnny Manziel at #8?

Post by Eli »

Doesn't "red flags" strike you as an odd choice of words coming from a head coach leading up to a draft? "Concerns" or even "pros and cons" would be less extreme and not quite as telling. Zimmer isn't terribly comfortable speaking publicly, and doesn't have all the nuances down, that's become clear. I think this is just another example.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Zimmer is not a "smokescreen" guy. That's also quite clear.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote:Doesn't "red flags" strike you as an odd choice of words coming from a head coach leading up to a draft? "Concerns" or even "pros and cons" would be less extreme and not quite as telling. Zimmer isn't terribly comfortable speaking publicly, and doesn't have all the nuances down, that's become clear. I think this is just another example.
I disagree. He's just using just the lingo of the business, probably because he uses it all the time. A potential issue is a "flag". I'm pretty sure he didn't even say "red flag". He just said "There are some flags that come up" and referred to some of the well-publicized off-the-field stuff associated with Manziel. I don't see that as any more extreme than saying there are concerns.

If he had said "pros and cons" or 'concerns" it wouldn't have made any difference at all. We'd still have articles about it. He'd still just be saying what we were all aware of anyway. He's just voicing some of the same questions almost everybody has about Manziel. I don't see anything particularly "telling" about them. It would be naive to think Zimmer's comments indicated, at this point, whether the Vikings will or will not draft Manziel.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I thought this summed up the Zimmer comments nicely: http://www.startribune.com/video/253437011.html#hpmrt
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:I thought this summed up the Zimmer comments nicely: http://www.startribune.com/video/253437011.html#hpmrt

Thanks for the link. I agree. That hits the nail on the head.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Mothman wrote:
Thanks for the link. I agree. That hits the nail on the head.
So do you guys think that the Vikes take him there at 8? I am sure that Zimmer has some say into the choice but I think Spielman would pull the trigger.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Mothman wrote: I disagree. He's just using just the lingo of the business, probably because he uses it all the time.
Which, again, highlights Zimmer's inexperience in speaking from the position of head coach.

"Brutally honest" was a good way of putting it. Some might call him "candid". I just find it interesting. I like Zimmer so far, don't get me wrong. It's just difficult listening to him sometimes. He reminds me of a kid in grade school whose knees knock together when asked to present a book report in front of the class.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple bruise wrote:So do you guys think that the Vikes take him there at 8? I am sure that Zimmer has some say into the choice but I think Spielman would pull the trigger.
I honestly have no idea. :)
Eli wrote:Which, again, highlights Zimmer's inexperience in speaking from the position of head coach.

"Brutally honest" was a good way of putting it. Some might call him "candid". I just find it interesting. I like Zimmer so far, don't get me wrong. It's just difficult listening to him sometimes. He reminds me of a kid in grade school whose knees knock together when asked to present a book report in front of the class.
I don't get that vibe from him at all. His willingness to be candid or to use a word like "flags" doesn't strike me as an indication of inexperience. I get the impression he's simply willing to be himself, which was reputation coming into the job.

I guess I also have a hard time seeing what was brutally honest about saying what everybody already knew in the first place. It's no secret that there are "flags" on Manziel. Every team in the league probably has them and the media have been talking about them for well over a year.

All of this just seems like typical pre-draft talk to me. :confused:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Eli wrote:Doesn't "red flags" strike you as an odd choice of words coming from a head coach leading up to a draft? "Concerns" or even "pros and cons" would be less extreme and not quite as telling. Zimmer isn't terribly comfortable speaking publicly, and doesn't have all the nuances down, that's become clear. I think this is just another example.
I don't know if it strikes me as odd.

It could all just be a ruse to make people think the Vikings aren't interested. Hard to say.

One thing for sure. Zimmer doesn't mince words.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

I'd be worried if Zimmer didn't see flags with Manziel. It just shows he has his eyes open.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Purple bruise wrote: If the Vikes are serious about drafting JFB, it would only be a smart and logical move to downplay the kid in case they want to move up and draft him or make other teams believe that they are not interested in him. Maybe your "smokescreen" comment is not to far off.
SMOKESCREEN :lol: http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_254 ... -wink-wink
Tom Powers: Yep, that Johnny Manziel (wink, wink) is a problem waiting to happen.......
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

I'm sure every player coming out of the draft has a few flags. I think the media is blowing this out of proportion just because it's Johnny Manziel. Say anything negative about him and every sports news outlet will cover a story on it.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote:I thought this summed up the Zimmer comments nicely: http://www.startribune.com/video/253437011.html#hpmrt

You know, DP, that giraffe avatar has been chewing for a long, long time now. Is that bubble gum? :D

Oh, and thanks for the link. It sums things up nicely.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

losperros wrote:
You know, DP, that giraffe avatar has been chewing for a long, long time now. Is that bubble gum? :D
It's how I have felt watching the Vikings these last couple of seasons. When I see a better, more exciting team, I'll change it. Until then, I'm an unimpressed chewing giraffe.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

dead_poet wrote: It's how I have felt watching the Vikings these last couple of seasons. When I see a better, more exciting team, I'll change it. Until then, I'm an unimpressed chewing giraffe.
I'm with you on this one. Another good one would be the "I like Turtles" kid.

Zimmer doens't mince words, but I wouldn't confuse that with being a "non smoke screen" guy. Part of this league is surprising people and I have to believe Zimmer knows that. He's strikes me as a serious competitor and that means he'll play the game, including the "poker" aspects of it.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi