The CB Debacles -- Another one bites the dust

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

The CB Debacles -- Another one bites the dust

Post by DanAS »

I just read an article on ESPN.com with the following statements about the various corners who the Vikes have drafted in the past eight seasons in the first-third rounds:

"Cook is 6-foot-2, and has the size and speed to match up against big receivers, which is why the 49ers are spending a low-risk deal on the chance they can turn him around. But he exits Minnesota as the latest cornerback not to make it after being taken early in the draft. Xavier Rhodes, one of the Vikings' three 2013 first-rounders, looks like he can play, but 2012 third-rounder Josh Robinson still has much to prove. Cook was a second-rounder in 2010, and 2009 third-rounder Asher Allen was gone after starting 21 games in three seasons. Marcus McCauley, a third-round pick in 2007, washed out of Minnesota after two seasons, and while 2006 second-rounder Cedric Griffin looked like he'd turn into a solid cornerback, two torn ACLs ended his career. Griffen and 2002 fourth-rounder Brian Williams are the only two Vikings draft picks to start more than three years at cornerback in the last 12 years."

If you want to know why we're picking eighth this year and were poised to pick third two years ago, don't just "ponder" the debacle at the QB position. Look at the futility at the all-important cornerback positions. I'm beginning to think the proverbial "monkeys at the typewriter" could draft as wisely.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: The CB Debacles -- Another one bites the dust

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I wonder, if Teddy isn't there, If Rickie is going to pick one of the 2 really good CB's out there first.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

This team should have just drafted Patrick Robinson with the 30th overall pick in 2010 instead of panicking and trading after New York took Kyle Wilson. Granted Patrick Robinson hasn't been an all-world player by any measure, but dang, he is at least better than Chris Cook.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I wonder, if Teddy isn't there, If Rickie is going to pick one of the 2 really good CB's out there first.
I would love to have a pair of young shut down corners.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Why in this "Passing Era" we don't make a CB a serious Priority dumbfounds me. Most important Defensive position to me
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Laserman wrote:Why in this "Passing Era" we don't make a CB a serious Priority dumbfounds me. Most important Defensive position to me
They DID spend a first round pick on the position last year. That seems like making it a priority to me...
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

That paragraph is painful...

Safetey hasn't done much better in that time period in terms of the draft, at least not until they got Harrison Smith. UGH.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Mothman wrote: They DID spend a first round pick on the position last year. That seems like making it a priority to me...
After they cut the best corner on the roster a month earlier. :lol:
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Mothman wrote: They DID spend a first round pick on the position last year. That seems like making it a priority to me...
that's one and we don't know how well he will work yet or not. I'd rather sign big $ at CB than DE
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Laserman wrote: that's one and we don't know how well he will work yet or not. I'd rather sign big $ at CB than DE
Some would argue that the key for defenses in this passing era is to build a strong and deep defensive line before all else on the defense. I'm in that camp and I was before Minnesota started their D-Line frenzy pursuit. I think finding above-average to great CB's are crucial in having an elite defense, but I think it all starts up front. A great D-line can make a defensive backfield look considerably better than it would if the D-line wasn't as effective.

In this same era, we've seen big money CB's fall flat on their face after getting a contract worthy of the top tier of their position for their play to not even come close to matching it. Nnamdi Asomugha comes to mind. Usually big ticket DE's pay bigger dividends.

I digress...Rhodes was a great start and with the CB depth looking pretty good in this draft for the first 2 rounds make me confident they'll get another impact corner this year too. Harrison Smith, Xavier Rhodes and ______ could be a great core for the secondary for many years. Not to mention Captain coming in on certain packages.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Some would argue that the key for defenses in this passing era is to build a strong and deep defensive line before all else on the defense. I'm in that camp and I was before Minnesota started their D-Line frenzy pursuit.

I digress...Rhodes was a great start and with the CB depth looking pretty good in this draft for the first 2 rounds make me confident they'll get another impact corner this year too. Harrison Smith, Xavier Rhodes and ______ could be a great core for the secondary for many years. Not to mention Captain coming in on certain packages.

I'm camping out in the same place. And it looks like Zimmer is pretty much the same. But I also think we could draft either 2 more CB's, or a CB and safety in the 2nd?

Depends if we draft that QB in the first, though.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

headless_norseman wrote:

I'm camping out in the same place. And it looks like Zimmer is pretty much the same. But I also think we could draft either 2 more CB's, or a CB and safety in the 2nd?

Depends if we draft that QB in the first, though.
Lots of possibilities. I envision CB, LB, QB, S with first four picks with the first two being interchangeable. My only worry is if they really do like McCarron, then they'd be gambling if they think he falls to the 3rd.
majorm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by majorm »

Laserman wrote: that's one and we don't know how well he will work yet or not. I'd rather sign big $ at CB than DE
But that'is kind of a "chicken or egg" question isn't it. Without a pass rush, Richard Sherman is going to get beat more often than not. Without decent coverage, the D-line doesn't have a chance to get heat on the QB. Tough call on which is MORE critical.

In the 2014 NFL, you better be able to cover AND pressure if you're going to seriously contend for something other than the #1 draft pick. And it's really tough to get one without the other.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think it is a balance issue, but IMO, it is harder to find coverage talent than it is to find pass rushing talent. How many 10 sack a year guys are there out there? How many true shut down corners?

Admitedly I could be biased here as I've watched the VIkings all these years and our secondary has essentially been putrid since the mid 90s.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

zimmer will turn cox around. something wasn't right regarding the fact he was one of the top free agent corners 2 years ago and had that steep of a drop off in only one season.