proud of the front office this off season

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

andrewjay14
Waterboy

proud of the front office this off season

Post by andrewjay14 »

I think signing captain was easily one of steals in free agency. He's a proven player and can make game changing plays. Joseph seems like he could break out in zimmers system. Signing cassel was a great decession to, he will handle the load while we develop a QB. Griffen did get over paid, but I think with his mindset and coaching staff he could be a monster. I feel in different about Simpson, I think he has the athletic ability just really needs to run better routes. But now we need to draft LB with our 8th and best available player after our 8th pick. We could get a development QB in the 3rd or 4 round. But lets go all in with the defense! Go vikings!!! Hope all you purple pride are having a good day :)
losperros
Commissioner

Re: proud of the front office this off season

Post by losperros »

So far, so good.
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

andrewjay14 wrote:I think signing captain was easily one of steals in free agency. He's a proven player and can make game changing plays. Joseph seems like he could break out in zimmers system. Signing cassel was a great decession to, he will handle the load while we develop a QB. Griffen did get over paid, but I think with his mindset and coaching staff he could be a monster. I feel in different about Simpson, I think he has the athletic ability just really needs to run better routes. But now we need to draft LB with our 8th and best available player after our 8th pick. We could get a development QB in the 3rd or 4 round. But lets go all in with the defense! Go vikings!!! Hope all you purple pride are having a good day :)
Nice to see such a positive post.

I was telling a friend that Spielman seems to have a sound mind as to the kind of guys to bring in to a team -- in terms of age vs. youth, positions they pay, which guys on the roster to keep and which to give up, etc. -- with the adoration of Ponder being his main Achilles Heel in that department. (I still think we might be able to get a 7th rounder for Ponder -- though perhaps it will have to be in the bottom part of the 7th round.)

Where I fault Spielman is that when it comes time not simply to identify team needs and understand the Vikes roster, but to actually pick out guys from college who haven't been superstars or guys from other teams who haven't yet proved themselves in the league, his eye for talent seems to be mediocre. That's my issue with him. And its precisely that skill that teams usually need from their GMs if they want to win championships. Seattle is a great example of that.

Anyway, I too am pleased with how the free agency period has gone so far. And I'm beyond pleased with the acquisition of the new coaching staff. So even though I see us as still being a mediocre team unless and until Spielman starts finding diamonds in the rough, I like the direction in which this franchise is heading. We're picking number 8 this year. I don't think we'll be anywhere near that in two years.

Thanks for the positive post, and I apologize if I interjected any negativity into it. There's more than enough time for kvetching, and it's nice to see a thread that doesn't deteriorate into a kvetch-fest, particularly after a generally good week.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Better then previous years. Lets hope they knock the draft out of the park.
Delaqure
Franchise Player

Post by Delaqure »

I too think they have done a good job So far this year. The only disappointment I have is the release of Allen. I'm not saying it was the wrong move I just wanted him to retire here. I think we will drastically improve this year and surprise a lot of people. The only bad thing about that is it will knock us out of the running for a decent QB next year. Aww crap I just had go negative after a positive. Go Vikes!
lyzarde
Veteran

Post by lyzarde »

I'm happy with the moves they've made on the whole. I like that they are emphasizing signing younger guys in FA.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Proud of Coach Zimmer. Who has already been credited with the Captain signing as the guy pushing it. And likely the Joseph as well. But yeah, more credit to the front office. Spielman is a genius. That's why we've had the recent history we've had.

Having a below average general manager is going to cost this team, regardless of how good Zimmer is.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Demi wrote:Proud of Coach Zimmer. Who has already been credited with the Captain signing as the guy pushing it. And likely the Joseph as well. But yeah, more credit to the front office. Spielman is a genius. That's why we've had the recent history we've had.

Having a below average general manager is going to cost this team, regardless of how good Zimmer is.
:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Good "listen" from KFAN with Coach Zimmer: http://www.kfan.com/media/podcast-purpl ... -24506708/
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple bruise wrote:Good "listen" from KFAN with Coach Zimmer: http://www.kfan.com/media/podcast-purpl ... -24506708/
Thanks for the link! I really enjoyed listening to that.
Superfreak84
Veteran

Post by Superfreak84 »

If we have another solid draft, we could seriously make some noise this year. I'm talking 10+ wins.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Purple bruise wrote:Good "listen" from KFAN with Coach Zimmer: http://www.kfan.com/media/podcast-purpl ... -24506708/

Thanks for the link, PB. Yes, this is a good listen. Coach Zimmer offers some really interesting viewpoints on the game and how players should be developed.