Vikings Sign CB Captain Munnerlyn

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Demi
Commissioner

Re: Vikings Sign CB Captain Munnerlyn

Post by Demi »

The answer to your question has been on this team before, recently. Winfield? Not to say that Munnerlyn is automatically up to his caliber but it's not too far fetched to expect it.
He might be better in coverage...
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

mondry wrote:Very rarely are the slot receivers that kind of height. Think Welker and Harvin, you can't have a big corner on those small shifty guys or they won't be able to keep up.

Revis, at least in New York, would shadow the teams best WR. He shut down Welker a bunch after the Moss era.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Loki
Veteran

Post by Loki »

this gets me sooo pumped for next season.
ON TO VALHALLA
Loki
Veteran

Post by Loki »

ha i noticed that too lol too much work im guessing tho, Glad he's wearing 24 and not 41 too. More of a cornerback looking number than 41 which is more of a safety number.
ON TO VALHALLA
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Loki wrote:ha i noticed that too lol too much work im guessing tho, Glad he's wearing 24 and not 41 too. More of a cornerback looking number than 41 which is more of a safety number.
2 is wider than a 1 as well. Makes him look a little bigger. Can't wait to see the world's greatest slot midget in action! :thumbsup:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Captain Munnerlyn said again the plan is to start at CB, move into nickel -- doesn't know if he'll start left or right. #Vikings
@Andrew_Krammer on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Munnerlyn gives Vikings a shot with slot receivers
While it wasn’t exactly Munnerlyn Island, he allowed just 1.09 yards per snap in coverage the past two years, a number that would rank among the top 12 qualifying corners in 2013, per PFF. He also surrendered just one reception for every nine coverage snaps, which was respectable. He was beaten for just one touchdown in 803 snaps in the slot while picking off a pair of passes.

“When I’m on the field, I’m the big difference. I can make a whole lot of plays in this defense,” Munnerlyn, who with 3.5 sacks last season was also an effective blitzer, said Tuesday at Winter Park. “Start outside and then slide in to play the nickel back. That’s what I’m going to do. Start outside and slide into the nickel back. Make plays. Bring the physical toughness to this secondary and go out there and get my hands on some balls and take them to the house.”
Munnerlyn has seven career interceptions. He returned five of those picks for a touchdown.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 99101.html
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

dead_poet wrote:Munnerlyn gives Vikings a shot with slot receivers
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 99101.html

This article makes me both happy and confident about the Vikings secondary this season.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

dead_poet wrote: @Andrew_Krammer on Twitter
How on earth could the world's smallest "slot Midget" even play in the NFL :lol: Get Ripley's Believe it or Not on the phone ASAP, they might be interested in his story.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Jasper brinkley played a role in Munnerlyn signing with the Vikings.
ESPN /NFL EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- Jasper Brinkley and Captain Munnerlyn were teammates for three seasons at the University of South Carolina, defensive starters on some of Steve Spurrier's first teams at the school. More than that, though, they were roommates in college, sharing life experiences at a time when both were trying to see if they'd have what it took to make it in the NFL.
"We’ve been through a lot together -- sweat, blood, tears, injuries," Brinkley said after the Vikings' workout on Tuesday. "We’ve been through a whole lot together, so it’s like having one of your brothers with you.”
So when Brinkley was returning to the Vikings for his second stint with the team, having signed a one-year deal with Minnesota a year after departing for Arizona in free agency, he jumped at the chance to sell Munnerlyn on coming with him. "We talked a lot," Brinkley said. "When he told me he was taking a visit, I was just coming off of mine. I told him what my idea was about coming back here. I told him that this felt like home for me and that he would like it."
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Points for Brinkley! :thumbsup:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Craig: Munnerlyn says he's got what Vikings want
Six games a year against the Saints, Falcons and even the Buccaneers before Josh Freeman’s once-promising career imploded qualifies Munnerlyn as battle-tested heading into his first season in the NFC North.

But the sixth-year pro also knows what’s coming his way as the new face in a new division. Especially when that face stands 5-9 in the land of Megatron, Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffrey and other giant receivers.

“I think I’ll be tested often and early,” Munnerlyn said. “Until I make plays.”

In 20 games against Brees and Ryan, Munnerlyn’s teams were 9-11. Brees and Ryan completed a combined 66.4 percent of their passes with 36 touchdowns, 18 interceptions and an average of 285.1 yards per game. Munnerlyn’s only interception against the NFC South was a pick-six against Freeman in 2012.

In four games against Rodgers (one), Cutler (two) and Stafford (one), Munnerlyn’s teams were 0-4. Rodgers (19-for-30, 308 yards, two touchdowns, no interceptions), Cutler and Stafford completed 67.6 percent of their passes with 10 touchdowns, four interceptions and an average of 233 yards. None of Munnerlyn’s seven career picks came against the NFC North.

Judging Munnerlyn against any one receiver’s stats is difficult, because he doesn’t shadow any one receiver. He also has spent the past two seasons as a starter who moves inside over the slot in passing situations.
More at the link.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote:Craig: Munnerlyn says he's got what Vikings want
More at the link.
I'm excited about Mutterlyn and the other defensive additioins. I think they will be a much improved unit. A good mix of veterans and young players, IMO.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018