Vikings Sign CB Captain Munnerlyn

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

King James
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings Sign CB Captain Munnerlyn

Post by King James »

Jeffbleedspurple wrote: So what's the difference from this year to last year other than Frazier and Zimmer?

To sum it up, you have one coach (Frazier) who refused to eliminate the bad players and address obvious holes in the team. It was always the same fiasco, "He's still our starter, and we will see what corrections we can make this season." Zimmer on the other hand seems to know when it's time to let go of players and seems to have more of an idea to what players may his style. Frazier, it seems, let Spielman do all the brain work. You never knew exactly what kind of players Frazier was look for.

Now it seems we know more of what direction Zimmer seems to be wanting to go in on defense. And I think he has no problem benching a player who is under performing. It seems like our QB selection will be based on a QB that Norv thinks he can mold and not just a random QB that Spielman himself thinks will make a great player.

Zimmer has a clear thought out plan it seems. I had no idea what Frazier's plan was. He just took whatever Spielman gave him and ran with it.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

King James wrote:

To sum it up, you have one coach (Frazier) who refused to eliminate the bad players and address obvious holes in the team. It was always the same fiasco, "He's still our starter, and we will see what corrections we can make this season." Zimmer on the other hand seems to know when it's time to let go of players and seems to have more of an idea to what players may his style. Frazier, it seems, let Spielman do all the brain work. You never knew exactly what kind of players Frazier was look for.

Now it seems we know more of what direction Zimmer seems to be wanting to go in on defense. And I think he has no problem benching a player who is under performing. It seems like our QB selection will be based on a QB that Norv thinks he can mold and not just a random QB that Spielman himself thinks will make a great player.

Zimmer has a clear thought out plan it seems. I had no idea what Frazier's plan was. He just took whatever Spielman gave him and ran with it.
+1 :thumbsup:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Back to the signing, I'm excited about the Vikings adding Captain Munnerlyn. The guy can hit, tackle, cover, and run. He plays with attitude.

No way will any opposing WR want to see both Munnerlyn and Harrison Smith coming at him.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Love the signing, we're really nailing it, at least on paper, this free agency. I thought for sure we would need to use a top pick on CB, NT, LB, and QB and so far a lot of that pressure has fallen off with some nice signings at CB and NT now. Can't wait to see what the captain can do for us on the field!
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

One more Tall Corner and 1-2 LBs and we'll be indecent shape. I am sure tired of Watching teams throw the ball all over the middle and march downfield time and time again. I hope Zimmer Puts a stop to that
Ohjay
Veteran

Post by Ohjay »

I was very happy when I read about this signing when I woke up this morning. We've been lacking badly in the CB department for a while now and it seems we're only one or two players left from having a very solid group of players at the position.

I'm already beginning to feel very excited about the upcoming season! :govikes:
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Jeffbleedspurple wrote:Now that we got a Captain, let's go get a Major :lol:
I hope not
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

I'm guessing that the Vikes won't be asking 5' 8" Captain Munnnerlyn to cover Megatron, Brandon Marshall or Alshon Jeffery. Maybe he can cover Golden Tate.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

soflavike wrote:I'm guessing that the Vikes won't be asking 5' 8" Captain Munnnerlyn to cover Megatron, Brandon Marshall or Alshon Jeffery. Maybe he can cover Golden Tate.
As was mentioned, he has matched up well with the taller receivers in his old division. Vincent Jackson, over 6-5 for instance. He will be fine knowing that Smith is behind him ready to deliver the lumber.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Jeffbleedspurple wrote:Now that we got a Captain, let's go get a Major :lol:
Let's trade for Major Wright!!!!!! :thumbsup: :rock:
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

King James wrote: Let's trade for Major Wright!!!!!! :thumbsup: :rock:
Major Wright is a FA. And a bust. no thanks
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

A few of Captain Munnerlyn's highlights:

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/V ... 412cf9ad99

The more tape of this kid I see the more I like the signing. :rock: Watch he and Harvin get into it.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

In todays league where every team has a cadre of 6'7" WR's, how does a 5'8" guy cover?? I will be very interested to see how he does it.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Very rarely are the slot receivers that kind of height. Think Welker and Harvin, you can't have a big corner on those small shifty guys or they won't be able to keep up.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Purplemania wrote:I think height is not as important in the CB position. The ability to shift your hips, disrupt WR's, read routes, and knock the ball away is all that matters. Someone mentioned Winfield. One of my favorite corner in today's game is Brandon Flower. The guy is 5'9, 187 lbs, and he is one of the best in the game due to his intelligence and ruthless ball play. I mean, height is definitely a plus, but not a requirement.
You said it friend. Football is all hips and ####. Will say it until I'm blue in the face. Hips. And. ####.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2