Your Worst Move As Vikings GM

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Your Worst Move As Vikings GM

Post by Mothman »

maembe wrote: Because he's better than Bradshaw and Montana at every aspect of the position and has the stats to back it up? Bradshaw isn't even top 10.
Did you see Montana in his prime? He and Manning played in different eras so a statistical comparison is difficult. There has never been an era in football more conducive to passing than the period in which Manning has played and it's benefitted his numbers tremendously. That's not to say he isn't great but "better than Montana at every aspect of the position"? I don't know about that...
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

Laserman wrote:My worst GM move would have been to sit Brady after his first superbowl for Drew Bledsoe. I thought he just got lucky and was overated at the time. I still Believe the NFL overates Brady and Peyton manning in order to draw in more fans. When manning gets 3-4 rings then he can maybe compare to Montana and Bradshaw. Without the SB rings it's just all Hype. How can manning be rated the best Ever if he Loses in the clutch a lot? Winning in " The Moment" is a big part of "Being Great" to my mind.
I believe the opposite in regards to Peyton and Brady, and you probably have to put Rodgers in that mix as well. Only a handful of QBs in this league are able to get their team to the playoffs year in and year out these days. Manning, Brady, and Rodgers, regardless of who has exited the team via free agency, are able to keep their teams competitive. Maybe they don't win every SB, or Playoff game, but you can bet that any given year, they will at least be in the Hunt. Montana and Bradshaw never had to worry about Free Agency dismantling their teams the year after they won a title. Things have changed, and teams will probably never have the "Dynasty" success that they did before. However, that has also made it so that teams won't be celler dwellers forever. (Unless you are the Browns).
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Not being Rick Spielman and retiring.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

maembe wrote: Because he's better than Bradshaw and Montana at every aspect of the position and has the stats to back it up? Bradshaw isn't even top 10.
Better than Montana in every aspect? Except Winning Superbowls :confused:
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

Laserman wrote: Better than Montana in every aspect? Except Winning Superbowls :confused:
Which is meaningless in terms of evaluating a player's skill. Marino was also better than Montana and he played in the same era for the most part.
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

Fun thread.

Anyway, when Michael Vick came out, I thought he was going to take the NFL into a whole new direction. I had never seen a guy that was as elusive, fast, as that before, certainly not in the QB position. Add to that the guy had an arm that was the equal to any of the great QBs, Favre, Marino, Elway, Unitas ect. I thought he was potentially the most talented player to ever step foot into the NFL.

I would have done the Hershel Walker trade for Michael Vick....OOOOPS!
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

As I was very upset when we picked
Peterson. I was very happy with Chestor
Taylor...

I would have taken Ted Ginn Jr or Revis
I think instead
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I would have drafted Justin Blackmon.

I kind of liked him too. I'm so glad we didn't go that route… the guy is reportedly not even likely to play in 2014:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... 4-unlikely
TheIrishVikingsFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TheIrishVikingsFan »

I thought gabbert would be a franchise QB....I also was upset when we drafted Adrian Peterson.

I still also am a big fan of Brady Quinn