Your Worst Move As Vikings GM

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Loki
Veteran

Re: Your Worst Move As Vikings GM

Post by Loki »

King James wrote:I would've trade Peterson after his phenomenal MVP season for draft picks. Hell I'd still do it now. :vi1:
I'm with you on that, it's a passing league and as valuable as he is we could get by with a rotation and top RB's are available later in the draft these days. I'm glad Rick would never do this though Peterson is the face of the Vikings and it'd feel wierd to not have him here
ON TO VALHALLA
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

KSViking wrote:I would have traded up to get Matt Lienart instead of taking Greenway back in what? 2006?

But, as redemption, I would have drafted Warren Sapp instead of Derrick Alexander. :smilevike:
You're not alone. I felt the same way about both picks.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I recall quite a few of us upset when we lost out on TJ Houshyomomma. I thought Brian Brohm was going to be a great QB too.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

I thought Brandon Weeden was going to be something. Yeah, not so much.

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk
Last edited by BGM on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
thatoneguy
Backup

Post by thatoneguy »

Not sure if i am in the minority but i thought trading back up to get Patterson was a terrible choice.
"This team makes me drink" - Any Minnesota sports fan
majorm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by majorm »

saint33 wrote:I would have resigned Sidney rice to a monster contract
Oh man, I wanted that too. I really liked him. That one really only looks bad because of his injury history since he left the Vikings.

He became - and probably still is when healthy - a very good receiver. I think the 2010 season might have been a tiny bit less painful with a healthy Rice for Favre to throw to. Without his favorite target, he struggled all year.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:I recall quite a few of us upset when we lost out on TJ Houshyomomma. I thought Brian Brohm was going to be a great QB too.
Yeah, I was in the Brohm camp too. :oops:
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

I would have passed on Peterson. I think at the time I said "Why would we want a Thomas Jones clone at #7?".

My one and only mistake! Kidding. But I think I've been better over the years at calling guys busts than predicting actual studs. But I think that's just playing the averages - most guys aren't going to make it in the NFL.

How does one judge my analysis of (non-Viking) RG3? I didn't want him. Didn't like his style. That was insane after his rookie season, but looks prescient after his sophomore year.
rugbyrugger23
Rookie

Post by rugbyrugger23 »

To start kind of an opposite confession, but I even posted here and got ransacked, but I wanted Vikes to go all-in on Peyton Manning when he was cut by Colts. Still would have loved to seen AP paired with Manning, playing in Dome.

-Post Walker trade thought Vikes got the better end of the deal (wow that ages me)

-Would have traded back up in 1st rd for Brady Quinn

-Hated the Ponder pick, wanted Prince, but yet backed the pick, supporting Ponder as a quality franchise QB for much too long

-If I was in GM seat, wouldn't have selected AP...nothing against him, just wanted a win-no Vikes to fill a hole...kudos to who has their stamp on that move
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

losperros wrote:I've pretty much got everyone beat because I badly wanted the Vikings to draft WR Troy Williamson in R1.

And when the Vikings did it, I was convinced that Williamson was going to be a stud. :oops:
I actually thought he could fix his problem seeing the ball when he went to that special Nike camp, too. :rofl:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

I guess Speilman's Job isn't as Easy as we all tend to think sometimes. Just look at all the sure hit ideas We all had that flopped. What is it that we all missed? Thinking back on my Wanting Brady Quinn I looked at his last Bowl game Vrs LSU. He sure didn't have a good game when the pressure was on and the competition was quite a bit Tougher that during their regular season Schedule. Maybe a let down in Bowl Games and High Pressure games is a tell tell sign that maybe a player we think is really good isn't so good after all.
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

Its also very hard to tell what players would have done on different teams, learning under different coaches with different circumstances. If Tom Brady was not a Patriot, would he have ever had the career he has had? What if he had been stuck as the backup to Culpepper, or McNabb, or one of the other first round selections of the previous year. Does he still get discovered, does he reach his potential. Even hind site isn't 20/20 due to all of the other variables. But any changes made, could be like a butterfly effect, and a whole different cast of players could be looking like Hall of Famers, and guys we have seen dominate for past 10-15 years could have been busts without the same environments.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Laserman wrote:I guess Speilman's Job isn't as Easy as we all tend to think sometimes. Just look at all the sure hit ideas We all had that flopped. What is it that we all missed?
Nothing. To some extent it is a total lottery. Nearly everyone can identify the "best" prospects, but hardly anyone can identify the best of the best propspects.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

I would have traded up to get Matt Ryan.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
mossbutt
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mossbutt »

I wanted Kapaernick instead of Ponder
and, Patrick Willis instead of Adrian.
Thats right damnit, i should be the Vikes GM.