2014 Free Agent Tracker & Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2014 Free Agent Tracker & Discussion

Post by dead_poet »

@markcraignfl Former #Vikings DT Kevin Williams in NY meeting Giants, will continue visit on Tuesday:
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

ESPN - Josh Freeman agrees to 1-year deal with Giants, source tells ESPN; will compete for backup QB job
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Funkytown wrote:ESPN - Josh Freeman agrees to 1-year deal with Giants, source tells ESPN; will compete for backup QB job

They were so impressed with him when we played last year that they just couldn't wait to sign him! :confused:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mark Craig summed it up nicely:
Josh Freeman to the Giants makes sense. He was their best player when they played the Vikings last October.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Mark Craig summed it up nicely:
:rofl:
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: ....
Give him a break. lol This is guy is only 23 years old. We can probably develop this kid into something. You never know.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:

It was your tone more than your content. :P
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

ESPN.com Vikings reporter Ben Goessling discusses the impact Jasper Brinkley can make in Mike Zimmer’s system.
http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... vikings-25
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Free agent CB A.J. Jefferson worked out for the Seahawks on Thursday.

An ex-Viking and Cardinal, Jefferson has 14 games of starting experience, but was waived by Minnesota last November after getting arrested on domestic-violence charges. Jefferson has always struggled in coverage, but has some of the size Seattle likes in corners at 6-foot-1, 190 pounds.
--Adam Caplan on Twitter

Vikings---->Seahawks
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

:nono:

How about we get a better linebacker, imagine the impact THEY could have if Brinkley can have any sort of impact.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Demi wrote: How about we get a better linebacker, imagine the impact THEY could have if Brinkley can have any sort of impact.
Man, you're really slow. Don't you get it yet? It's the system. Sorry, I mean "The System". Makes anyone a star, especially underachievers and players who everyone has written off.

Even better, The System doesn't rely on linebackers to cover receivers. I genuinely can't wait to see how that works. The Vikings haven't been able to cover three receivers with seven cornerbacks, safeties and linebackers. I want to see how The System manages it with four or five guys.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Jasper Brinkley is a good run stuffer, he is just poor in coverage. Good thing is that we are not running anymore of that Tampa 2 zone, where the Linebacker is responsible for covering the middle of the field. It will be interesting to see what new scheme the defense will have under Zimmer.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

King James wrote:Jasper Brinkley is a good run stuffer, he is just poor in coverage. Good thing is that we are not running anymore of that Tampa 2 zone, where the Linebacker is responsible for covering the middle of the field. It will be interesting to see what new scheme the defense will have under Zimmer.
My guess is we'll see an aggressive 4-3 scheme with an emphasis on stopping the run and a lot more man-to-man coverage, which is yet another reason why we could see the Vikes emphasize the DB and LB positions in the upcoming draft.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Florida Times Union suggests Toby Gerhart could end up in the "240-300 carry range" with the Jaguars.

Jags GM Dave Caldwell indicated he envisions Gerhart as a three-down back: "I think he can be a really good fit for us on first and second down, in pass protection and catching the ball out of the backfield." Caldwell worked in Atlanta's front office when the team signed Michael Turner, who like Gerhart spent the early portion of his career behind a future Hall of Famer (LaDainian Tomlinson). Turner became a workhorse starter, exceeding 300 carries in three of his first four seasons with the Falcons.
--Florida Times Union
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

Eli wrote:Man, you're really slow. Don't you get it yet? It's the system. Sorry, I mean "The System". Makes anyone a star, especially underachievers and players who everyone has written off.

Even better, The System doesn't rely on linebackers to cover receivers. I genuinely can't wait to see how that works. The Vikings haven't been able to cover three receivers with seven cornerbacks, safeties and linebackers. I want to see how The System manages it with four or five guys.
LBs aren't supposed to cover receivers, and for that reason they aren't a premium in this league anymore. If they can cover, then you've got a rare blue chip player a la Brian Urlacher, Patrick Willis, Ray Lewis, or Derrick Brooks. Not many guys who can actually do it, and not very many LBs can even claim to be viable in coverage, because most of them really don't have a ton of range. Another thing to remember is that their first priority is against the run, no matter what. When you consider all of those things, you really just want guys who will maintain their gap and not miss tackles. It's really all you can ask for. Brinkley does a lot of those things very well, he just has terrible range. Vontaze Burfict has terrible range as well, and look at how good he was in Cincy? Not sure if that's the exact sort of thing that Zimmer would run here in Minnesota, but the Bengals weren't too bad against the pass or against the run last year.

I think "The System" will do just fine at getting off the field this year, buddy. Can it do worse than "The Old System"?