Erin Henderson released

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

King James
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Erin Henderson released

Post by King James »

Erin Henderson released you say??? :shock:

:clap: :-D
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Wasn't he a free agent pretty soon anyway?...
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

PurpleHalo wrote: There is always chance involved, sometimes a guy doesn't get on the right team, they just get on the neediest team. I bet there are just as many guys, who nobody thinks is worth anything, they never get a chance. In the right situation, maybe that hypothetical guy would have been a hall of fame guy. There are so many intangibles involved that nobody really knows. Like I said in another thread, Johnny Unites was cut by the Steelers, and was working as a regular Joe, the Colts came calling......

If things had gone a bit different, Tom Brady could have held a clip board for 90% of his career and never developed into what he is. And the same thing could have happened to Brett favre, and I know 100% there are guys out there where it does go the wrong way for them. Kurt Warner was bagging groceries, before he was picked up to be a backup with the Rams.

It is why I always say, leave no stone unturned! I would trade 3rd round picks every year for young QBs, eventually you may hit on a great one that nobody saw.It's like playing the lottery, so pay on, because you wont ever win until you do, so everything else is a waste of all of our time. I wish I could put that reasoning into front office people, or be one myself.
that's all well and good, but if that is your only means for this strategy, you're likely to be disappointed. There's always a chance, with every guy who has ever been on a NFL roster. That doesn't mean you just start throwing picks away at random because there's a chance it could work out. All those scenarios you've pointed too were extremely rare. You can't bank everything on the team stumbling into a miracle.

Now if hypothetically the Vikings really liked Mallett or Barkley or whoever, the year that, that player was drafted, and we targeted them in the draft, but for what ever reason couldn't get them, then ok, if you believe that player is better than any of the potential players we could land in the 3rd round this year, then take the chance.

But don't just start calling up every team with a somewhat recent mid round pick backing up a good starter and start offering up draft picks hoping that one team will bite, because the chances are extremely high that you're just throwing that pick away.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Demi wrote:Wasn't he a free agent pretty soon anyway?...

he still had a year left on his deal
oldskoolvikingfan
Starter

Post by oldskoolvikingfan »

vikesfan87 wrote:Khalil Mack may be looking more intriguing at #8.
Its starting to look like Mack might go before we pick at 8 so we might have to settle for Mosley even though its kind of a reach at 8. Best case scenario would be we trade back from 8 to the 14-18 range and pick up Dennard or Gilbert and a 2nd round pick. Then take a QB and Christian Jones ILB in the 2nd round. Dennard/Gilbert and Rhodes would be one heck of a Cb combination :smilevike:.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

saint33 wrote: another thread, Johnny Unites was cut by the Steelers, and was working as a regular Joe, the Colts came calling......

that's all well and good, but if that is your only means for this strategy, you're likely to be disappointed. There's always a chance, with every guy who has ever been on a NFL roster. That doesn't mean you just start throwing picks away at random because there's a chance it could work out. All those scenarios you've pointed too were extremely rare. You can't bank everything on the team stumbling into a miracle.

Now if hypothetically the Vikings really liked Mallett or Barkley or whoever, the year that, that player was drafted, and we targeted them in the draft, but for what ever reason couldn't get them, then ok, if you believe that player is better than any of the potential players we could land in the 3rd round this year, then take the chance.

But don't just start calling up every team with a somewhat recent mid round pick backing up a good starter and start offering up draft picks hoping that one team will bite, because the chances are extremely high that you're just throwing that pick away.
We have been disappointed for 53 years! Tell me what part of this teams strategy in building championships has been a success? Every draft pick is a complete waste of all our time, until they realize that it takes full effort. But I don't want to hijack this thread anymore.

Henderson is a non factor, so my overall reaction to this is oh well.
This space available for rent.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PurpleHalo wrote:Henderson is a non factor, so my overall reaction to this is oh well.
But he's such a nice guy! :wink:
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

saint33 wrote: quick question, but exactly how many young QBs worth anything have actually been traded at all? Matt Schaub is the only guy who comes to mind. I guess you could say Brett Favre too, but that was over 20 years ago. The rest of the "young back up QBs" who were traded for have generally been monumental failures with their new teams
I really don't see one. Mallet maybe within a trade parameter. With the list given a few posts back, how good does Ponder look matching up vs. the other QB's available?
What I was thinking, that IF there was a QB in FA that was worthy, the Vikings would not have to "reach" with the #8 pick and could go with CJ Mosley or other defensive need. Seeing how that the FA market is not overwhelming, the Vikings might go with a QB at #8, thus not picking Mosley or BPA.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

If Vikings are targeting Mosley then I hope they're considering trading down to do so.

Also, what do people think about Greenway moving to the inside? He's obviously lost a step, but is still a smart football player. Put him inside and draft Mack or someone may be a possibility as well...I think?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote:If Vikings are targeting Mosley then I hope they're considering trading down to do so.

Also, what do people think about Greenway moving to the inside? He's obviously lost a step, but is still a smart football player. Put him inside and draft Mack or someone may be a possibility as well...I think?

I'm open to that idea (not that I'd have a say)...

Jim
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

PacificNorseWest wrote:If Vikings are targeting Mosley then I hope they're considering trading down to do so.

I wasn't implying that I thought that the Vikings were targeting him, so far he is my consensus pick. Obviously at #8 you think that Mosley is a reach, maybe so, but considering the need at this point, I am not too sure that he would be considering if the top QB's come off the board beforehand. All that being said, I would not object to moving #54 to the inside, especially if Zimmer thinks enough of Mauti to take over soon.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Erin was good for being an undrafted player. But, god damn, did he suck at coverage. At least this will give us a chance to find an upgrade.

Hopefully, this move will allow Gerald Hodges an opportunity too. I honestly have zero clue as to why Gerald didn't see any snaps this past year.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Erin was good for being an undrafted player. But, god damn, did he suck at coverage. At least this will give us a chance to find an upgrade.

Hopefully, this move will allow Gerald Hodges an opportunity too. I honestly have zero clue as to why Gerald didn't see any snaps this past year.
When was the last time the Vikings had a linebacker capable of covering anyone? E.J. Henderson was at least as bad as Erin at covering the deep middle. Maybe Greenway in his prime?
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Eli wrote: When was the last time the Vikings had a linebacker capable of covering anyone? E.J. Henderson was at least as bad as Erin at covering the deep middle. Maybe Greenway in his prime?
Hahaha! It is true, our linebackers have been awful in coverage for a long time. Leber wasn't all that bad when he was here. Greenway was decent at it until he got exposed in 2010. Ever since 2010, his coverage has been absolutely awful.

Hopefully with a new revamped and experienced coaching staff we will be able to get some guys in there that can tackle and cover. I know one guy who has the potential to do it is Gerald Hodges. He needs to a least get a look.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... -henderson
The Minnesota Vikings' decision to cut linebacker Erin Henderson earlier this month was made by both coach Mike Zimmer and general manager Rick Spielman, Zimmer said on Friday at the NFL scouting combine. Zimmer "didn't know him as well, football-wise, as I probably would've if I had been able to coach him," he said, but he and Spielman agreed on the move.

"I think all these decisions were made together," Zimmer said. He added he did not talk to Henderson before the Vikings released him.