Vikes announce finalized coaching staff for 2014 Season

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PotGoblin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Vikes announce finalized coaching staff for 2014 Season

Post by PotGoblin »

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/V ... 343f1a4324

HEAD COACH
Mike Zimmer - Head Coach

COORDINATORS
George Edwards - Defensive Coordinator
Mike Priefer - Special Teams Coordinator
Norv Turner - Offensive Coordinator

ASSISTANTS
Robb Akey - Assistant Defensive Line
Jeff Davidson - Offensive Line
Ryan Ficken - Assistant Special Teams
Johnathan Gannon - Assistant Defensive Backs / Quality Control
Jerry Gray - Defensive Backs
Jeff Howard - Defensive Assistant
Klint Kubiak - Assistant Wide Receivers / Quality Control
Andre Patterson - Defensive Line
Drew Petzing - Coaching Assistant
Kevin Stefanski - Tight Ends
George Stewart - Wide Receivers
Scott Turner - Quarterbacks
Kirby Wilson - Running Backs
Adam Zimmer - Linebackers
Purple Pride till the end.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Vikes announce finalized coaching staff for 2014 Season

Post by Mothman »

Does George Edwards have a son they can hire to be a position coach? ;)

Seriously, thanks for the info. It's interesting to see that Priefer, Davidson and Stewart all remained with the team.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Well, Mike Priefer will only be on the staff until he's indicted on federal criminal charges for civil rights violations. :lol:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... d55d15a644

Turner interview.

When he's describing what he looks for a QB, it sure sounds to me like he's describing Teddy Bridgewater to a tee :mrgreen:
Superfreak84
Veteran

Post by Superfreak84 »

saint33 wrote:http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... d55d15a644

Turner interview.

When he's describing what he looks for a QB, it sure sounds to me like he's describing Teddy Bridgewater to a tee :mrgreen:
Let's hope so. My first thought was Derek Carr. I'm praying we steer clear of him.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Glad that we kept Mike Priefer. He's one of the best ST coaches in the league right now. He also fits the type of style that Zimmer likes, because Priefer is a fiery coach as well.

I'm also happy to see George Stewart aboard. Another good coach, he's going to turn Cordarelle Patterson into a star.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Glad we kept Michelle. She can teach that amazing pooch kick we whipped out in Ravens game. Or the great second season from our kicker who kept his amazing form! Or coach a 5th round punter to the most average of heights.

Let me guess, he's going to get credit for Patterson's return ability?
While we're at it, let's give him a super bowl ring for Percy's return. I mean, he coached him while he was here!

We could find a special teams coordinator who's just as good without the rest of the crap. But nope, we're the Vikings. :wallbang:
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

There's no coach we would find right now to get the same level or better from our special teams than priefer.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Yeah, none, no where, period. not even possible. :confused:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

King James wrote:There's no coach we would find right now to get the same level or better from our special teams than priefer.
I have to disagree. Priefer has been blessed with good return men and in turn, it makes him look good. I can bet money that you could put Patterson and/or Harvin on any other team and they would be just as good or better in the return game. Harvin showed he could do it in one game this past Sunday. He almost burnt his own team/coach this year when we played them. I've never been a Priefer fan and I'm not sure I ever will. His lack of making adjustments in games is very tiresome to watch. For example....

-Week 2 vs Chi- We allowed 263 return yards!!! We have watched Hester burn us for years now and Priefer was dumb enough to kick to him that entire game including the final seconds that put them in good field position to win the game.

-Week 3 vs Cle- At the time, it was pretty clear that Cleveland was tanking at this point and it was pretty clear that Priefer didn't prepare accordingly. On the 4th and 1, I literally stood up out of my chair and yelled, "THEY ARE GOING TO FAKE IT!!!" What happens? They fake it. Then, we somehow have nobody guarding Cameron, who at the time, was their best offensive player on a field goal. It might have been the easiest touchdown ever scored by a TE. Those are two, bonehead special teams plays that technically cost us that game. That led to 10 points I believe and we lost by 3. It was pretty obvious that when they traded away Richardson...they didn't give a crap about their season. You have to expect fakes and such from a team like that.

Week 11 vs Sea- Granted, I don't know if we could have ever beat them but Jarius Wright scores with 55 seconds left before half. So at the time, we have the momentum. What does Priefer do??? Kick to Percy Harvin with 55 seconds left before half. Yes, Percy Harvin, the guy we use to have, the guy Mike Priefer use to coach, the guy that returned his fair share of kicks for us. We should know better than anyone else what Harvin is capable of back there. Priefer legitimately made us look dumb by kicking to him.

Week 13 vs Chi- Somehow, we were lucky enough to pull this one out. But once again, we decide to kick to Hester at the end of regulation, with the game on the line (tied). Luckily, out defense came up with a big stop and Gould missed the FG. Even the announcers kept saying...."WHY??" Then when we kickoff overtime, he decides to kick it to the corner of the end zone :roll: Oh and FWIW, Priefer said in the press conference that the reason he kicked to Hester was because his "ego" got to him. Are you kidding me??? Your "ego"?? The game was on the line. If we were in the playoff hunt and we ended up losing that game (which we should of), I would have personally flew to Minnesota.

....There were MANY times this year, after teams started figuring out how good Patterson was, where they kicked FAR AND AWAY from him on a line drive so it was very difficult for him to return. However, we RARELY do this against guys like Harvin and Hester. I just don't understand it, especially with Walsh's leg. You can't sit there and tell me Walsh couldn't kick a line drive FAR AND AWAY from those guys. I won't ever believe that he can't do that. I've wanted Preifer gone since mid-year but unfortunately we still have him. Harvin and Patterson MADE Mike Priefer, he did NOT make them. So he can thank them for his success in the NFL.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Priefer has been blessed with good return men and in turn, it makes him look good.
Hey, something we agree on!

Blessed with 5th round P and 6th round K too.

Guy before him got credit for Harvin.

Way overrated...
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Great post, PHP.

:appl:

Also, didn't know this:
Oh and FWIW, Priefer said in the press conference that the reason he kicked to Hester was because his "ego" got to him. Are you kidding me??? Your "ego"?? The game was on the line.
Yeah, that's a solid reason to kick to Hester. Yep. Great coaching, fool.
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

we are headed to the super bowl within the next 3 years.
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
VikingBolt
Starter

Post by VikingBolt »

saint33 wrote:http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... d55d15a644

Turner interview.

I haven't posted here much, but just HAVE to say this:

Did you see who won comeback player of the year? Philip Rivers of the San Diego Chargers.
Hmmm, just so happens this occurs the first year after Norv Turner is gone. Turner started out with a good team, and they went downhill after he became head coach.
Go Vikes!