'Rick Spielman' the Vikings For a Day: NFL Draft Simulator

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 'Rick Spielman' the Vikings For a Day: NFL Draft Simulat

Post by saint33 »

that trading is addicting. I probably made at least one trade in every round.

QB TEDDY BRIDGEWATER
LOUISVILLE
DT LOUIS NIX III
NOTRE DAME
CB JASON VERRETT
TCU
ILB CHRISTIAN JONES
FLORIDA STATE
G CYRIL RICHARDSON
BAYLOR
DE JACKSON JEFFCOAT
TEXAS
DT ANTHONY JOHNSON
LSU
DT DEANDRE COLEMAN
CALIFORNIA
CB AARON COLVIN
OKLAHOMA
S ISAIAH LEWIS
MICHIGAN STATE
JD_Fiction
Backup

Post by JD_Fiction »

I like this new ability to trade let me know what you guys think.
Trade Number 8 to Chicago for 14 and 51... Trade number 72 and 96 for Colts 59

ILB C.J. MOSLEY-Perfect pick at 14, a very important need and a very high ceiling. Run Stuffing high motor prototypical MLB.

ALABAMA

S LAMARCUS JOYNER-Would be playing Slot, non stop motor and team leader. Turnover machine, always around the ball.

FLORIDA STATE

S DEONE BUCANNON- Sanford would move to back up and Bucannon could start day 1, no telling what Zimmers Coaching could do for a tandem of Smith- Bucannon.

WASHINGTON STATE

CB STANLEY JEAN- BAPTISTE-Depth at the start, Rhodes1A at 6'2 Baptiste1B at 6'2 Huge Bodies to cover Megatron and Marshall a huge need in the pass happy NFC North.

NEBRASKA

QB DAVID FALES-Huge potential, was considered a 1st to 2nd round QB at the end of last year would be a steal and best accuracy in draft IMO.

SAN JOSE STATE

RB JAMES WHITE-Scat back that Norv loves in his system so much.

WISCONSIN

TE CROCKETT GILMORE-Underrated, Big TE with solid hands and a Willingness to run and pass block.

COLORADO STATE

WR JALEN SAUNDERS-Speedy Slot WR for depth.

OKLAHOMA
lyzarde
Veteran

Post by lyzarde »

Did some trading, ended up with a couple picks in Rd 2 and 3. Traded away 6th and 7th to get another 5th so I was done by the 5th round. I think I had a couple 4th rd picks too.

Tried to address defense as much as possible. I took a WR I really like in the 3rd mostly because I'm not sold on our WR depth. Took Sankey because he'd be a good speedy complement to AD. Also addressed QB with Garoppolo who dropped to the 4th. Passed on Bridgewater at 15 believe it or not.

ILB C.J. MOSLEY
ALABAMA
CB KYLE FULLER
VIRGINIA TECH
WR ODELL BECKHAM JR.
LSU
CB STANLEY JEAN- BAPTISTE
NEBRASKA
QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO
EASTERN ILLINOIS
RB BISHOP SANKEY
WASHINGTON
DT ANTHONY JOHNSON
LSU
OT SEANTREL HENDERSON
MIAMI
ILB MAX BULLOUGH
MICHIGAN STATE
S TRE BOSTON
NORTH CAROLINA
rugbyrugger23
Rookie

Post by rugbyrugger23 »

I used the Simulator (nice app to mess around with for a few minutes) to accomplish exactly what I hope Rick/Vikes do on draft day. That is trade down and trade up:
1) Trade down from 8th for more assets, landing in 14-18 range, acquiring a 2nd and 3rd/4th depending on how far they trade down. The Cowboys and Ravens are usual suspects.
2) Monitor which defensive player high on their board drops out of top 10, ideally 1 of the 3 elite LB's (Barr, Mack, Mosley).
3) Using Vikes high 2nd and other 2nd acquired in trade down (plus 3rd and/or additional picks to get it done), trade back into top 15, with Rams being a good slot at 13. Note: I think Rams will trade 2nd overall to Browns (who want top 1 or 2 QBs) for 4th and 26th (with Browns also getting 3rd or 4th in return).
4) These 2 trades would land Vikes 2 picks in top 20, allowing them to draft 1 elite LB (probably Mosley) and 1 elite CB (I like Gilbert) plus still hold 1-2 3rd round picks for QB (I like Mettenberger).
Example:
ILB C.J. MOSLEY
ALABAMA
CB JUSTIN GILBERT
OKLAHOMA STATE
QB ZACH METTENBERGER
LSU
RB LACHE SEASTRUNK
BAYLOR
OT BILLY TURNER
NORTH DAKOTA STATE
WR DEVIN STREET
PITTSBURGH
QB DAVID FALES
SAN JOSE STATE
Last edited by rugbyrugger23 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
lyzarde
Veteran

Post by lyzarde »

rugbyrugger23 wrote:I used the Simulator (nice app to mess around with for a few minutes) to accomplish exactly what I hope Rick/Vikes do on draft day. That is trade down and trade up:
1) Trade down from 8th for more assets, landing in 14-18 range, acquiring a 2nd and 3rd/4th depending on how far they trade down. The Cowboys and Ravens are usual suspects.
2) Monitor which defensive player high on their board drops out of top 10, ideally 1 of the 3 elite LB's (Barr, Mack, Mosley).
3) Using Vikes high 2nd and other 2nd acquired in trade down (plus 3rd and/or additional picks to get it done), trade back into top 15, with Rams being a good slot at 13. Note: I think Rams will trade 2nd overall to Browns (who want top 1 or 2 QBs) for 4th and 26th (with Browns also getting 3rd or 4th in return).
4) These 2 trades would land Vikes 2 picks in top 20, allowing them to draft 1 elite LB (probably Mosley) and 1 elite CB (I like Gilbert) plus still hold 1-2 3rd round picks for QB (I like Mettenberger).
This is exactly how I hope things pan out as well.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Jeffbleedspurple wrote:8 ILB C.J. MOSLEY
ALABAMA

40 OLB RYAN SHAZIER
OHIO STATE
I like it. Two linebackers might seem extreme, but it sure would be hard to pass on Shazier if he's there at #40.
JD_Fiction
Backup

Post by JD_Fiction »

OLB ANTHONY BARR
UCLA
S DEONE BUCANNON
WASHINGTON STATE
CB LOUCHEIZ PURIFOY
FLORIDA
QB A.J. MCCARRON
ALABAMA
DT WILL SUTTON
ARIZONA STATE
RB DE’ANTHONY THOMAS
OREGON
CB AARON COLVIN
OKLAHOMA
DE AARON LYNCH
USF
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

WR SAMMY WATKINS
CLEMSON
DT LOUIS NIX
NOTRE DAME
ILB CHRIS BORLAND
WISCONSIN
CB LOUCHEIZ PURIFOY
FLORIDA
QB A.J. MCCARRON
ALABAMA
G TRAI TURNER
LSU
OLB PRINCE SHEMBO
NOTRE DAME
CB AARON COLVIN
OKLAHOMA

This is what I would consider a really good draft.

Couple of notes on this thing and the draft in general: I have run this thing at least 50 times over the last few weeks, with the trades, and without. With all three player rankings.
One thing that struck me was that Sammy Watkins falls to "8" at least 60 percent of the time. Clowney never fell to eight, not once. I think this means that there IS a chance that he falls to us. With that said, do you pick him? I can't seem to pass him up. I think he's going to be as good as Julio Jones, if not better.

I know most will say that this is a fantasy thing, but another thing I notices is that this simulator doesn't always blindly pick the next best player at whatever position the team is picking. So it seems that someone might have fed this thing with each teams individual draft boards. Sounds like a lot of work.
It's impossible to know what a team is prioritizing in the upcoming draft or the kind of value each team puts on players. And, with the scattered evaluations even amongst the conventional talking heads, I think the top 10 picks are going to be a complete surprise to everyone. So this year in particular, saying player "X" wont be there carries less water, except for maybe Clowney. But hey, maybe there's a panic for Qb's and he drops too. You never know.

One more note, One of the drafts I was able to take Mack in the first and Mosley in the second.....now THAT would be a draft!!
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

The first draft i did. Clowney was there at 8. But so was gilbert so i took gilbert in rd1 and garropolo in rd 2 and purifoy in rd3. After that it was just picking names that sounded good.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

It's been awhile since I have done one of these drafts. It was nice to see that they added compensatory picks now. I used Walterfootball's big board. Here is what transpired:

QB TEDDY BRIDGEWATER
LOUISVILLE

DE SCOTT CRICHTON
OREGON STATE

LB CHRISTIAN JONES
FLORIDA STATE

S CRAIG LOSTON
LSU

RB LACHE SEASTRUNK
BAYLOR

CB TERRANCE MITCHELL
OREGON

ILB KHAIRI FORTT
CALIFORNIA

DE AARON LYNCH
SOUTH FLORIDA

As you can see, I drafted all defense except for Bridgewater and Seastrunk. If my scenario is close to how our actual draft turned out I would be ecstatic.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dkoby wrote:Clowney never fell to eight, not once. I think this means that there IS a chance that he falls to us. With that said, do you pick him? I can't seem to pass him up. I think he's going to be as good as Julio Jones, if not better.
You sprint to the podium knocking everyone else out of your way if he falls to #8. I don't care about his work ethic, the guy is freakish and should not fall out of the top 3.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

S197 wrote: You sprint to the podium knocking everyone else out of your way if he falls to #8. I don't care about his work ethic, the guy is freakish and should not fall out of the top 3.
I agree that he is the real deal but he is the least of their needs (DE). I would love it if he did drop into their laps at 8 and then trade him for mucho more picks IMO
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

S197 wrote: You sprint to the podium knocking everyone else out of your way if he falls to #8. I don't care about his work ethic, the guy is freakish and should not fall out of the top 3.
I just want to clarify what I wrote. In that context it looks like I was talking about Clowney possibly dropping. I was talking about Watkins possibly falling to 8. I'm convinced that Clowney will not. However, you are right either way in your response....
I gotta think that one of them will be there.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
thatoneguy
Backup

Post by thatoneguy »

DE JADEVEON CLOWNEY
SOUTH CAROLINA
CB JASON VERRETT
TCU
S DEONE BUCANNON
WASHINGTON STATE
CB LOUCHEIZ PURIFOY
FLORIDA
OLB ADRIAN HUBBARD
ALABAMA
QB AARON MURRAY
GEORGIA
ILB KHAIRI FORTT
CALIFORNIA
RB ISAIAH CROWELL

Wanted to take a QB in third (pick 108) but didnt feel good value there. Jimmy G and Zach M drafted 67 and 69. Very disappointing.
"This team makes me drink" - Any Minnesota sports fan
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dkoby wrote:
Couple of notes on this thing and the draft in general: I have run this thing at least 50 times over the last few weeks, with the trades, and without. With all three player rankings.
One thing that struck me was that Sammy Watkins falls to "8" at least 60 percent of the time. Clowney never fell to eight, not once. I think this means that there IS a chance that he falls to us. With that said, do you pick him? I can't seem to pass him up. I think he's going to be as good as Julio Jones, if not better.

I know most will say that this is a fantasy thing, but another thing I notices is that this simulator doesn't always blindly pick the next best player at whatever position the team is picking. So it seems that someone might have fed this thing with each teams individual draft boards. Sounds like a lot of work.
It's impossible to know what a team is prioritizing in the upcoming draft or the kind of value each team puts on players. And, with the scattered evaluations even amongst the conventional talking heads, I think the top 10 picks are going to be a complete surprise to everyone. So this year in particular, saying player "X" wont be there carries less water, except for maybe Clowney. But hey, maybe there's a panic for Qb's and he drops too. You never know.

One more note, One of the drafts I was able to take Mack in the first and Mosley in the second.....now THAT would be a draft!!
This simulator does not give me the impression of having anything to do with how things will actually play out in May. It's fun, but I wouldn't put much stock into it being faithful to how teams actually rate the prospects.