'Rick Spielman' the Vikings For a Day: NFL Draft Simulator

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Re: 'Rick Spielman' the Vikings For a Day: NFL Draft Simulat

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

OLB KHALIL MACK
BUFFALO
CB KYLE FULLER
VIRGINIA TECH
ILB CHRISTIAN JONES
FLORIDA STATE
DE MARCUS SMITH
LOUISVILLE
QB JIMMY GAROPPOLO
EASTERN ILLINOIS
DT CARAUN REID
PRINCETON
RB DE’ANTHONY THOMAS
OREGON
CB AARON COLVIN
OKLAHOMA

Sigh. The logic has improved, but seriously? Tajh Boyd and Aaron Colvin will not drop into the 7th round. Also, Dee Ford went 7th to Tampa, which left me with Khalil Mack. Overall, I thought I did a good job, but yet again, I was gifted certain players like Garoppolo and Colvin.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Overall, I thought I did a good job, but yet again, I was gifted certain players like Garoppolo and Colvin.
Jimmy Garoppolo a "gift" at 104? :lol:
Last edited by Eli on Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Every time I ran it so far Mack has gone #7. Fuller in the 2nd was a good pick, he went in the 1st when I did the simulation.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Eli wrote: Jimmy Garoppolo a "gift" at 104? :lol:
Really? Who you got ahead of Jimmy G, that's healthy? Id pick him in the 2nd if we had too.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Really? Who you got ahead of Jimmy G, that's healthy? Id pick him in the 2nd if we had too.
If I am not mistaken I heard this morning on M/M, Bill Polian said that Jimmy G. wont make it out of the first round. Interesting.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Really? Who you got ahead of Jimmy G, that's healthy? Id pick him in the 2nd if we had too.
Plus 104 is the 4th round, I'd say that would be considered a gift.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

Rd. 1, Pick 9 (From Buffalo)

C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama

Let me start by discussing the trade involved here. I think the two teams that directly follow the Vikings are in desperate need of a WR. Whether it's Evans or Watkins, let them outbid each other, and who knows, we may get a better haul than what I'm looking at in this mock, but I think this one is reasonable and somewhat realistic. We move back one spot to #9, which is safer than moving back to #10, so Buffalo immediately has the advantage in that aspect. They give us their 1st rounder, 3rd rounder and 6th rounder, while we give them our 1st and 7th to give them a chance to pick someone we have no intention of drafting anyways. Huge win for us, desperate move by them, and we walk away with an extra 3rd rounder and an upgraded final pick.

Anyways, I think Mosley is a perfect fit for us, because we don't have that linebacker who can do everything at this point. We have two guys who have quick reactions to the ball, who can be nice, solid tacklers for us, who can even make a few plays in the secondary if they're asked to, but neither of them is a truly complete product, and switching to a 3-4 scheme (which I suspect we will do in sorts), it would be huge to have someone like Mosley who can cover some of those bigger bodied athletic TEs in man coverage, who can read the QB's eyes very well, and who is a very solid tackler. I think he's got Patrick Willis (Not quite as fast) written all over him, and the Vikings have not had that big playmaker at ILB since EJ Henderson.

Rd. 2, Pick 8

Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State

I expect him to fall significantly on draft day, essentially for two reasons. For one, and the most important reason, is that this draft has 3 QBs right before him who are the consensus top 3 picks, and who likely will do nothing to lose that standing to Derek Carr. Secondly, I think there is at least one team that will pass on him because of the fact that his older brother was one of the biggest flops in the history of the league, whether they're willing to admit such a ridiculous thing or not.

He's big, he's athletic, he's accurate, he has a strong arm, and he's got a very good football IQ, I can assure you. I think this guy is a bit of a can't-miss type of QB that no one knows about, sort of like Aaron Rodgers was when 23 teams (including the Vikings) passed on.

Rd. 3, Pick 8

Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida

His draft stock has taken a beating. He's shorter than he was expected to be, he didn't post a very good 40 time, and managed just 8 bench reps at the combine. He was also at times a shut down corner, and played with a physicality that the Vikings have coveted in cornerbacks. About 6-8 months ago, Purifoy was looking like a top 20 pick, and now some a wondering if he'll even be drafted by round 5. I think someone will reach for him, seeing his potential, and I hope that's the Vikings. A 3rd round pick for a position of need, on a prospect who is, in my opinion, as good as Purifoy, who has that much potential, could be the steal of the draft.

Rd. 3, Pick 9 (From Buffalo)

Daniel McCullers, DT, Tennessee

Here's another one that might be a reach, but one that several teams may be willing to make considering his physical tools. The Vikes have recently drafted players of similar circumstance, and I think they'll continue the trend in 2014. Last year, they picked a physical freak with very little major collegiate playing experience in Cordarrelle Patterson, and it worked out splendidly. This year, I think they do the same thing, but at a position of greater need, and select Daniel McCullers. He's 6'8 and around 360 lbs, perfect for a 3-4 nose tackle. Best part? He runs the 40 in just over 5 seconds, very good for a man of his size. His low bench reps may have him sliding a little bit more, so I think he should be available at this position.

Rd. 3, Pick 32 (From Seattle)

Chris Watt, OG, Notre Dame

The Vikings need a guard, regardless of what happens this offseason. Jeff Baca is under contract, but is a huge interrogation point (?), while Charlie Johnson is likely gone, but sucked anyway. They need a guard, if for no other reason, depth. This may be a reach, but Watt's draft stock is rising, and I expect the Vikes to go back to the Notre Dame trough that's worked out well for them so far

Rd. 4, Pick 8

De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon

Another "his draft stock is falling, but someone will reach for him" scenario. This kid is so fast, and so quick, and he has excellent hands. You'd think you were watching a smaller, less physical Percy Harvin with the way he returns kickoffs and punts, and lines up all over the place. He's a gadget player, but one who would fit very well into a Norv Turner offense, and I expect the Vikings to pull the trigger in round 4.

Rd. 5, Pick 8

Isaiah Lewis, S, Michigan State

I think this guy was an underrated component to the Michigan State defense. Punishing hitter with quite a bit of athleticism and a nose for hte ball, he could develop under Andrew Sendejo (who's going to be fighting for a contract) for 2014, and get some work on ST, before taking over the spot in 2015. Or, he could just take over, which wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Rd. 6, Pick 8

DeAndre Coleman, DT, California

Good size and good athleticism. I think he's a good option for replacing Guion as a 3-4 DE/4-3 pass rushing DT in 2015.

Rd. 6, Pick 9 (From Buffalo)

Aaron Lynch, DE, South Florida

A couple of years ago he might have been a day one prospect. He lit it up at Notre Dame (We love Notre Dame, don't we?), but in 2013 he transferred to USF because he was homesick. Well, he's a big guy, 6'6 and about 250 lbs with some athleticism and a knack for getting in the backfield. He could be a nice project for the Vikings for when Brian Robison either regresses or leaves via FA, and the team will need a DE to replace either Jared Allen or Everson Griffen, and they've never been a team to overdraft edge rushers. It just makes sense.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

1.8 QB TEDDY BRIDGEWATER
LOUISVILLE

2.40 S HA’SEAN CLINTON-DIX
ALABAMA

3.72 ILB CHRISTIAN JONES
FLORIDA STATE

3.96 DE MARCUS SMITH
LOUISVILLE

RB JEREMY HILL
LSU

5.136 CB VICTOR HAMPTON
SOUTH CAROLINA

6.168 CB SHAQUILLE RICHARDSON
ARIZONA

7.200 G BRANDON LINDER
MIAMI
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
lyzarde
Veteran

Post by lyzarde »

OLB KHALIL MACK
BUFFALO
DT TIMMY JERNIGAN
FLORIDA STATE
QB A.J. MCCARRON
ALABAMA
DE JACKSON JEFFCOAT
TEXAS
RB BISHOP SANKEY
WASHINGTON
G WESLEY JOHNSON
VANDERBILT
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

lyzarde wrote:8
OLB KHALIL MACK
BUFFALO
DT TIMMY JERNIGAN
FLORIDA STATE
QB A.J. MCCARRON
ALABAMA
DE JACKSON JEFFCOAT
TEXAS
RB BISHOP SANKEY
WASHINGTON
G WESLEY JOHNSON
VANDERBILT
looks like a winner to me :rock:
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

I think the best case scenario is that Mack falls to us at 8, but I'm thinking that won't happen. If all three QBs and Mack are off the board at 8 we need to try to trade down. If we can't trade, I could see us taking Justin Gilbert at 8.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

8th Pick Dennard CB Michigan State

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... ze-dennard

40th Pick Ryan Shazier | 6'2, 222 pounds | Outside linebacker | Ohio State *

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iql1UpBn_nQ

3rd round (72nd) Tim Jernigan | Defensive tackle | Florida State *

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCxHcsVvvAI

3rd round (96th) David Yankey | 6'5, 313 pounds | Guard | Stanford *

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS2Zw-CbBho

4th round (104th) Trent Murphy | 6'6, 261 pounds | Outside linebacker | Stanford

5th round (136th) Zach Mettenberger | 6'5, 230 pounds | Quarterback | LSU

6th round (168th) Hakeem Smith | 6'1, 197 pounds | Safety | Louisville

7th round (200th) Brent Urban | 6'7, 295 pounds | Defensive end | Virginia
Last edited by jackal on Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

jackal wrote:8th Pick Dennard CB Michigan State

40th Pick Ryan Shazier | 6'2, 222 pounds | Outside linebacker | Ohio State *

3rd round (72nd) Tim Jernigan | Defensive tackle | Florida State *

3rd round (96th) David Yankey | 6'5, 313 pounds | Guard | Stanford *

4th round (104th) Trent Murphy | 6'6, 261 pounds | Outside linebacker | Stanford

5th round (136th) Zach Mettenberger | 6'5, 230 pounds | Quarterback | LSU

6th round (168th) Hakeem Smith | 6'1, 197 pounds | Safety | Louisville

7th round (200th) Brent Urban | 6'7, 295 pounds | Defensive end | Virginia
this couldn't have possibly happened :shock:
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

this couldn't have possibly happened :shock:
maybe not but i think would be a great draft for the Vikings
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!