Vikings Officially Hire Norv Turner as OC

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Vikings Officially Hire Norv Turner as OC

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

via Rotoworld:

Vikings hired ex-Browns OC Norv Turner as offensive coordinator.

Turner is the second coordinator to leave the Browns this week after DC Ray Horton signed with the Titans. In Minnesota, he'll have complete control of the offense under defensive-minded HC Mike Zimmer and will be tasked with turning around one of the NFL's least effective units in 2013. The Vikings have major concerns at quarterback, but Turner's aggressive passing scheme should maximize the talents of Cordarrelle Patterson and Greg Jennings. He also figures to incorporate more of a run-first approach behind Adrian Peterson after ranking 27th in rushing offense with the Browns this past season.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings Officially Hire Norv Turner as OC

Post by King James »

Yes!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to Minnesota Norv Turner!
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

Dream Team coaching staff, finally.

We got a lot of money to throw around on FAs too, kinda hoping we pick up Byrd.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Slick Rick wrote:Dream Team coaching staff, finally.

We got a lot of money to throw around on FAs too, kinda hoping we pick up Byrd.
I'm loving our staff but I'm starting to fade away from Byrd. He now wants to be the highest paid safety in the NFL. He's good but he's not THAT good. I'm from NY and see him play often but don't see "the highest paid safety" in him at all. I'd rather not throw away half of our money on Byrd. I would like to get a good veteran CB or LB instead.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I'm loving our staff but I'm starting to fade away from Byrd. He now wants to be the highest paid safety in the NFL. He's good but he's not THAT good. I'd rather not throw away half of our money on Byrd. I would like to get a good veteran CB or LB instead.
Yeah, and safety isn't a premium position.

It definitely depends on how much he wants, but I wouldn't be interested to the point that I'd overpay. We have 3 perfectly viable safeties after Smith, and there's a chance with the new scheme that they could be utilized better.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

dream team? We just got the Miami LBs coach (who aren't very good) to be our DC. Hardly call that a "dream".
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

NextQuestion wrote:dream team? We just got the Miami LBs coach (who aren't very good) to be our DC. Hardly call that a "dream".
Edwards is basically the assistant defensive coordinator when it all boils down You can basically call Zimmer the HC and the DC and then we have Turner at OC. That's a damn good staff
-Chazz Palminteri
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

I'll take that.

I am a big fan of the play call sheet sizes.

Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Edwards is basically the assistant defensive coordinator when it all boils down You can basically call Zimmer the HC and the DC and then we have Turner at OC. That's a damn good staff
If that happens, it will be Zimmer's first mistake and it will be a huge one. In his press conference the other day, he seemed well aware of the dangers of his taking on the de facto DC role and stressed that he will be the _head_ coach. Nothing wrong with having a defensive-minded head coach, but if he tries wearing two hats, he'll most likely fail. We'll see how it plays out soon enough.

This is one of the downsides to hiring someone who has been a coordinator for so long, with zero head coaching experience. I think it's why many NFL team's go out and hire successful young college coaches rather than rejiggering yet another NFL offensive or defensive coordinator into a head coaching position.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

fiestavike wrote: I suspect the seahawks and 49ers would disagree. Both their defenses rely on strong safety play.
Earl is the best in the game. Disagree on Reid. Inconsistent and has the benefit of best front 7 in the NFL.

I'm confused though...the Vikings have one of the better young players at the FS position already. They don't need Jarius Byrd. I'd put Harrison a notch below Earl. It will be interesting to see if Harrison gets the kind of recognitition that Earl does once their defense becomes one of the tops in the NFL.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

good hopefully he has an open competition for the starting qb. an average passing offense would even be a breath of fresh air.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

What was the Rapport like with Rivers and Norv? Let's make a trade!
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Earl is the best in the game. Disagree on Reid. Inconsistent and has the benefit of best front 7 in the NFL.

I'm confused though...the Vikings have one of the better young players at the FS position already. They don't need Jarius Byrd. I'd put Harrison a notch below Earl. It will be interesting to see if Harrison gets the kind of recognitition that Earl does once their defense becomes one of the tops in the NFL.
I agree with everything you said. Thomas covers more ground than any safety in the NFL right now. He can support the run as well. He really is the player that makes that defense great. I think you're right about Eric Reid too, but he is in his rookie year. The 9ers got a nice player in him, he will be great in a season or two.

Here's hoping Harrison continues to progress and leads our defense for years to come!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

Eli wrote: If that happens, it will be Zimmer's first mistake and it will be a huge one. In his press conference the other day, he seemed well aware of the dangers of his taking on the de facto DC role and stressed that he will be the _head_ coach. Nothing wrong with having a defensive-minded head coach, but if he tries wearing two hats, he'll most likely fail. We'll see how it plays out soon enough.
But he also said he wouldn't be afraid to sit his coaches down and tell them a thing or two (I'm paraphrasing wildly here) if he was unhappy about something he wanted fixed. Which he definitely needs to do, as HEAD Coach. But yeah, we don't want him doing too much.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

Yeah! I'm psyched. Get out of town Brian Musgrave, and take your brother Bill with you! I look forward to seeing you on third and long when you're on the other side of the ball. :evil: :twisted: