Vikings Officially Hire Norv Turner as OC

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleScout
Backup

Re: Vikings Officially Hire Norv Turner as OC

Post by PurpleScout »

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

We lost 5 games last year in the final minute. I would argue that this is on the play of the defense last season. So as far as improvement goes, I think it is certainly possible that we see a swing in wins from last season if Zimmer can get the defense coached up. IMO, this is a reason to have hope.

However, the single biggest issue facing this team is who starts at QB and who the QB of the future will be. That will determine our long term fortunes. Also, can Norv Turner equal or exceed the output of Musgrave? This offense wasn’t stellar last year, but despite awful QB play it was still putting up points. I do not think Turner will cause us to take a step back, but we shouldn’t rule out the potential for some growing pains here.

Talent wise it looks like the cupboard is rather bare, but I think that for the most part the difference between a good player and a bad player in the NFL is not that big in terms of athletic talent. So if Zimmer can get the guys mentally where they need to be, then there is reason to expect better results.

It is a long way until training camp. So at this point there is nothing but speculation.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

ESPN - RB Adrian Peterson tells USA Today OC Norv Turner "perfect" for Vikings, he feels good after surgery
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Michael Irvin promises Turner will bring Vikings potent passing attack
“I’m absolutely blown away with Cleveland allowing what they’ve allowed to transpire with Norv,:” Irvin said today during Super Bowl XLVIII Media Day at the Prudential Center, home of the New Jersey Devils. “They had a guy like [receiver] Josh Gordon in Norv’s system, and I think he had the best year by a wide receiver after missing two games and playing with four different quarterbacks this season. To say, `OK, we’re changing up everything.’ That blows my mind.”

Gordon led the league in receiving and was an instrumental part of the Browns’ upset of the Vikings at the Metrodome in Week 3.

“Norv, with a guy like Adrian Peterson, will help the Vikings,” Irvin said. “A guy like Norv knows how to orchestrate an up-the-field passing game. The Vikings are usually playing defenses that stack the line of scrimmage because of the fear of Adrian Peterson. Norv is going to put defenses in some real binds. He’s going to develop an up-the-field passing game along with Adrian Peterson. To develop that down-the-field attack and then hand the ball off? It will be a dangerous combination.”

And, yes, Irvin believes Turner can do all of this with Matt Cassel or whichever quarterback the Vikings end up setting on in 2014.

“I watched Norv do it with four different quarterbacks with Josh Gordon last season, sSo he’ll find his quarterback,” Irvin said. “I don’t know if Cassel is his guy. But he’ll find his quarterback and he’ll find his passing system. I promise you that.”
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

dead_poet wrote:Michael Irvin promises Turner will bring Vikings potent passing attack
That gets my optimistic juices flowing :thumbsup:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

:point: :point: :point:
That's what she said!!!! :lol:
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Seriously, Norv being in the fold hopefully will increase the chances of Zimmer succeeding as HC. I don't think he needs any help but one would think it will benefit him. If Norv gets the ball rolling early and Zimmer shores up the defense, based on their success, the sky is the limit. I'm not looking for the playoffs this year, but you never know. A lot can happen during the season. A team can turn it around quickly. Everything has to go right, but hey. The close losses can be turned into close wins.
IS IT SEPTEMBER YET??? :rock:
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I have to admit I am pretty up beat. Didn't like the old coaching staff since the minute Frasier was named HC (even when he was interim). I wish him the best though. Hopefully nice guys don't finish last in the NFL.

One thing that concerns me, is our debt with AD. I know we all love him, he is exciting as any player, but he still cant block. I personally remember him dropped more balls then he caught, or losing huge large if he did catch it. And we have so much invested in him. By the time the new stadium is ready, I believe he will be in serious decline, with more nagging injuries. I wish Rickie could find a way to trade him to Dallas. He's a once in a lifetime RB for us, but in reality it hasn't gotten us anywhere. I hope Norv can get more use out of him then Musgrave could.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

But haven't you heard? He's "The Face of the Franchise".

Whatever that means. :confused: :?: Hopefully it's just hyperbole. Hopefully it doesn't mean continuing to hand him the ball even when it isn't working. Hopefully it means AP settling down into the fabric of a good team effort that brings us more wins than losses, rather than the team being a vehicle to showcase him. That's all I care about, not who is the Face of the Franchise.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Webbfann wrote: Hopefully it doesn't mean continuing to hand him the ball even when it isn't working.
Yeah, because handing the ball to Adrian Peterson usually backfires. :roll: He's only averaging 5 yards/carry for his career. Who'd want that? The opposite is to abandon the run too early and become one-dimensional. That's not effective either, particularly in recent years with this team. How many times have we seen Adrian go: 0, 4, 6, 3, 4, 64? A lot. If Aaron Rodgers throws six consecutive incompletions is it smart to stop having him throw it?
Hopefully it means AP settling down into the fabric of a good team effort that brings us more wins than losses, rather than the team being a vehicle to showcase him. That's all I care about, not who is the Face of the Franchise.
God forbid a team has a star attraction. And I'm pretty sure keeping Adrian is about giving the team the best chance to win, not necessarily about placating fans. But when you have arguably the game's best player, you're almost obligated to showcase him to help sell seats.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

peterson is nowhere near done. with a viable passing game he will easily run for at least 1,400 yards next year. the guy ran for 2,000 yards with 9 and 10 in the box and he won't face that next year.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

Yeah, because handing the ball to Adrian Peterson usually backfires. :roll: He's only averaging 5 yards/carry for his career. Who'd want that? The opposite is to abandon the run too early and become one-dimensional. That's not effective either, particularly in recent years with this team. How many times have we seen Adrian go: 0, 4, 6, 3, 4, 64? A lot. If Aaron Rodgers throws six consecutive incompletions is it smart to stop having him throw it?

We need a well balanced offense. One where no one person is the "Face of the Franchise", but especially a running back who by the nature of the position these days has less ability to control the outcome of games. I LOVE watching AP break free and go 64 yards, or carry three guys on his back for 9 yards. I love it. But we have over relied on him and we need to fix that. And his head has gotten just a little too big, with his overconfident comments about 2500 yards.

God forbid a team has a star attraction. And I'm pretty sure keeping Adrian is about giving the team the best chance to win, not necessarily about placating fans. But when you have arguably the game's best player, you're almost obligated to showcase him to help sell seats.

Adrian helps us win sometimes, or helps us be in a position to win, sometimes. But he isn't going to carry us to any Super Bowls. We actually played our best game of the entire season without him, so he is hardly synonymous with winning and he obviously isn't required for it. I think winning games will sell seats as much, if not more than AP's face and losses. But I'd like to see him continuing to play an important role in the offense, albeit a somewhat more balanced role. With the smarter offensive strategy that I hope Norv will bring, AP should still have some great years, even if he has to share the limelight a bit for the team to WIN.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Star attraction means nothing. Ive read somehow the TFC game should all be sold out. I don't know if that's based on having such few seats or what. AD didn't 'earn' his huge paycheck in my mind last year. Why? Because he played hurt, all year. He's played so recklessly up till now, unusually lowering the boom when he can. Extremely fun and exciting to watch. But either he restructures or we try and make a deal with Dallas. Before its too late. I would be as sad as anyone to see him go but its a business. We are far more danger of not selling tickets by being in the cellar then by not having AD on the team. Heck make CP a RB have the time.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

mosscarter wrote:peterson is nowhere near done. with a viable passing game he will easily run for at least 1,400 yards next year. the guy ran for 2,000 yards with 9 and 10 in the box and he won't face that next year.
That's what everyone thought this year. He even said 2500 yrds. But he had three nagging injuries, and had to have surgery on one. Hes worth nothing once he reaches a certain point. Hes worth a ton atm. I think a good GM handles this the right way by next year.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

mosscarter wrote:peterson is nowhere near done. with a viable passing game he will easily run for at least 1,400 yards next year. the guy ran for 2,000 yards with 9 and 10 in the box and he won't face that next year.

Norv has a good track record getting good production from good RB's, we should be able to expect the same this next season. Now if we can just draft a legit QB with the #8 pick.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant