Vikings Officially Hire Norv Turner as OC

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

lyzarde
Veteran

Re: Vikings Officially Hire Norv Turner as OC

Post by lyzarde »

I do find it interesting that just 1 year later everyone is saying WR is our strongest position and we don't need anybody. Last offseason it was all doomsday freaking out over losing Harvin, and replacing him with "old washed up" Jennings and "raw unpolished" Patterson.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

lyzarde wrote:I do find it interesting that just 1 year later everyone is saying WR is our strongest position and we don't need anybody. Last offseason it was all doomsday freaking out over losing Harvin, and replacing him with "old washed up" Jennings and "raw unpolished" Patterson.
Not saying we don't need "anybody" but a 1st round pick on a WR is unnecessary IMO. Especially with all the other needs we have
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Not saying we don't need "anybody" but a 1st round pick on a WR is unnecessary IMO. Especially with all the other needs we have

And this is a super deep class. We can snag talent w/ our extra 3rd rounder if we feel the need, or even later. I'd vote for later.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: And this is a super deep class. We can snag talent w/ our extra 3rd rounder if we feel the need, or even later. I'd vote for later.
I would too but I think it's wise for the team to be flexible. If they stay at #8, I think the best decision they can make with that pick is to draft the player they feel can ultimately have the most positive impact on the team over time. I know I sound like a broken record when I say stuff like that but to me, it just makes sense. After all, it's the philosophy that landed Adrian Peterson. WR isn't one of the team's biggest needs but if Watkins is there for the Vikings at #8, choosing him would be pretty easy to justify. Jennings should be good for a few years but adding another dynamic playmaker to the WR corps to go with GJ and Patterson could enable the Vikes to create some serious matchup issues for defenses. It would be nice to get a QB or a defensive stud at that #8 spot but when you're picking in the top 10, I think "necessary" becomes a secondary concern and talent is priority #1. Ideally, you want a high pick like that to yield an impact player every time.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:
I would too but I think it's wise for the team to be flexible. If they stay at #8, I think the best decision they can make with that pick is to draft the player they feel can ultimately have the most positive impact on the team over time. I know I sound like a broken record when I say stuff like that but to me, it just makes sense. After all, it's the philosophy that landed Adrian Peterson. WR isn't one of the team's biggest needs but if Watkins is there for the Vikings at #8, choosing him would be pretty easy to justify. Jennings should be good for a few years but adding another dynamic playmaker to the WR corps to go with GJ and Patterson could enable the Vikes to create some serious matchup issues for defenses. It would be nice to get a QB or a defensive stud at that #8 spot but when you're picking in the top 10, I think "necessary" becomes a secondary concern and talent is priority #1. Ideally, you want a high pick like that to yield an impact player every time.
No, I agree. Watkins SHOULD be a top 5 pick in my book. If he slides for some odd reason I'd love it if we took him. He's a big time talent.
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

What would you think of a receiver like TJ Jones out of Notre Dame in round 3-4? Almost 6ft and 200 pounds and looks like about 4.55 speed. 70 catches for like 1100 yards this year at ND.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Bigwehrm wrote:What would you think of a receiver like TJ Jones out of Notre Dame in round 3-4? Almost 6ft and 200 pounds and looks like about 4.55 speed. 70 catches for like 1100 yards this year at ND.
I like Martavis Bryant, I think if he wasn't overshadowed by Watkins he would go higher. Good fit for Norv's offense. Needs polish but we're talking about mid-round picks here.
STRENGTHS: Tall, linear athlete with long arms. Above average vertical speed with long strides to accelerate and eat up yards quickly - galloping long-speed to easily gain a step (17 receptions of 20-plus yards in 2013). Flexible and balanced with easy body control to adjust and use his length.

Nice job catching the ball in stride and away from his body. Wide catching radius and will make acrobatic and off-target catches look easy. Good timing and aggressiveness in 50/50 chances with very good leaping ability. Quick footwork to release off the line of scrimmage and make sharp cuts in his routes - good short-area burst to gain a step in/out of his breaks.

Competitive kid. Coming off career-bests as a junior in 2013, finishing second on the team in receiving behind Sammy Watkins.

WEAKNESSES: Tall and long, but not physically imposing from a bulk standpoint - very lean and needs to continue to put meat on his bones. Very inconsistent concentration with too many double-catches and drops at the college level.

Wasn't asked to run a full route tree in Clemson's offense and unrefined in this area. Room to learn patience, hesitation and better body language in his patterns to hold defenders and better sell routes. Needs to get stronger to match up better in tight coverage and show better power after the catch. Only one year of starting experience.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I love Evans, he bailed JFB out so many times, and isn't afraid to go anywhere or do anything to make the catch. I don't see us snagging him or Watkins, even if they are on the table. BPA just doesn't work when our D is that bad. And Im assuming we will be waiting for Jimmy G or even Zach. Watkins or Evans would make an immediate impact on a team though. From day 1. Unless they have Fraizer and Musgrave coaching them.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Vikings' TEs could thrive under Turner
Rudolph will be a free agent after 2014, though he would seem in line for a contract extension. The bigger question involves John Carlson, who restructured the second season of his five-year deal last year and could have to do so again to avoid being released. Carlson has a $5 million cap hit this season, and the Vikings would still have to count $3 million of his signing bonus against the cap over the next three years if they released him. If Carlson is healthy enough to continue his career after his concussion issues cropped up at the end of the season, he could fit nicely in Turner's offense with a restructured contract.
With Turner's emphasis on multiple-tight-end sets and his use of three or more receivers (the Browns had them on 559 snaps, or 112 more than the Vikings last season), one player who could have a tough time finding a spot in Turner's offense is fullback Jerome Felton. The Browns had two running backs on the field for just 53 snaps last year -- ninth-fewest in the league -- and ran on just 23 of those plays. Considering Turner's intent to get Adrian Peterson more involved in the passing game, a pure blocking back like Felton might have to adapt into a more diverse role or risk being phased out. He'll be a free agent after 2015, but there's just $666,000 left on Felton's signing bonus from last spring.

The Vikings' offense, quite clearly, looks like it will be changing in 2014. And as Turner comes in, the tight ends on the roster could see a more prominent role.
http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... um=twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Watkins would be a crazy cool deal IF we are productive in FA and later rounds in the draft for defense.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I love Evans, he bailed JFB out so many times, and isn't afraid to go anywhere or do anything to make the catch. I don't see us snagging him or Watkins, even if they are on the table. BPA just doesn't work when our D is that bad. And Im assuming we will be waiting for Jimmy G or even Zach. Watkins or Evans would make an immediate impact on a team though. From day 1. Unless they have Fraizer and Musgrave coaching them.
I wish I had a dollar for every time you've written that Evans bailed out JFB frequently.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Some insight on Turner's game:
Having called a pass 69.8 percent of the time last season, the Browns were the NFL’s pass-heaviest team. Although that’s easy to trace to their play-caller (Turner), it doesn’t align very well with his philosophy in San Diego. Turner was no lower than 57 percent pass and no higher than 60 percent in five seasons spanning from 2008 to 2012. You don’t get more balanced a play-caller than that. With Philip Rivers in control, San Diego’s offenses were very good up until a disastrous 2012 season cost him his job. Quarterback play was an issue last season in Cleveland, but Turner’s offenses are averaging a dreadful 1.85 touchdowns per game over the past two seasons.

A look at target distribution shows significant running back usage in the passing game. Over the past six seasons, 28 percent of all passes in a Norv Turner offense went to a back. That’s a 55 percent increase on the 18 percent league average. Throws to running backs dropped quite a bit in 2013, which means some of the credit for that massive number belongs with Rivers.

Turner doesn’t throw to the in-line tight end much, which is a bit surprising when you consider that he loves using ‘12’ personnel. He’s been below 33 percent in the category only once over the past six years (2009). In fact, he’s had a package on the field with multiple running backs or tight ends on 72 percent of his plays since 2008. In 2013, the Browns leading the league in passing led Turner using ‘11’ 51 percent of the time. Although that was barely above league average, it was 20 percentage points higher than his previous high.
More at the link.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ng-changes
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Vikings' Jennings on Turner's offense: 'My head is spinning'
“The variations from one play to the variations of how we can get to that one play, is a lot. I’m being a little sarcastic with this statement, but it almost equates to what we had last year -- just one play. It’s a lot.”

Musgrave’s offense, famously compacted into a nice little index card, was known to be bland and predictable. It doesn’t seem that will be the case under Turner, which Jennings described as more complex.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 74201.html

Yey! Complex = Success! Obviously! Right?! Right!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Vikings' Jennings on Turner's offense: 'My head is spinning'
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 74201.html

Yey! Complex = Success! Obviously! Right?! Right!
LOL! Right.