Kluwe rips Frazier, Spielman, Priefer

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Kluwe rips Frazier, Spielman, Priefer

Post by dead_poet »

Funkytown wrote:ESPN - In settlement with Chris Kluwe, Vikings will donate to several groups that support gay rights

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=11375100

And, no, Kluwe isn't getting any money.
From Kluwe:
We've reached a settlement with the Vikings. Terms I can disclose as follows.
1. They will donate a substantial amount to five charities, several MN local, over the next five years.
2. They are implementing enhanced training within the entire organization, and are committed to a zero tolerance policy on homophobia.
3. The Vikings will be working to create a symposium to bring together sports and LBGTQ leaders in order to address this issue in sports.
I believe the Vikings are committed to being leaders on the subject of homophobia in sports, and will work to make significant change.
Also, I get exactly ZERO dollars from this settlement, so if you sent me a nasty message over the past months, go mainline bleach.
And no, you don't get to say "Well you were shamed into it." That's been my stance from day one. This has never been about money.
Looking forward to seeing the strides the Vikings and the rest of the NFL will make on homophobia going forward. Still work to be done.
And no, the report won't be made public. Our worry there was that there were systemic problems being covered up, but there weren't.
Then it became, do I want this to be about me? (And prove the haters right) Or do we try to do a lot of good for a lot of other people.
We've chosen to help those who need it, in a way that hopefully will set an example moving forward for others to follow.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

The Vikings should have taken the hard line and told Kluwe to go #### himself, which you can be sure is what everyone in the front office wanted them to do. This was simply the path of least resistance.

At least they're finally done with that piece of garbage.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Eli wrote:The Vikings should have taken the hard line and told Kluwe to go #### himself, which you can be sure is what everyone in the front office wanted them to do. This was simply the path of least resistance.

At least they're finally done with that piece of garbage.
Oh yeah, that would have looked good for the Vikings. Not disciplining a guy who said awful homophobic remarks and telling Kluwe to take a hike? OK
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

NextQuestion wrote: Oh yeah, that would have looked good for the Vikings. Not disciplining a guy who said awful homophobic remarks and telling Kluwe to take a hike? OK
Like I said, they took the easy way. Now they're done with him.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Thanks for the quotes, dead_poet. A few comments...
And no, you don't get to say "Well you were shamed into it." That's been my stance from day one. This has never been about money.
It's just been about pressuring the Vikings to donate money... which means it's been about money (among other things). What he really means is this has never been about personal financial gain.
And no, the report won't be made public. Our worry there was that there were systemic problems being covered up, but there weren't.
Weren't he and his lawyer going on about how imperative it was that the report be made public? I'm betting both sides simply realized how bad they were all going to look if that report was released and decided to find a way to keep it from happening. In the end, I still think Kluwe just wanted his "pound of flesh".
We've chosen to help those who need it, in a way that hopefully will set an example moving forward for others to follow.
That's a nice sentiment and if it helps those who need help, a positive result.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Purple bruise wrote: So a conclusion to this "extortion" :roll: Let's see where the proceeds actually end up :!:
Okay then, now I do not dislike him as much :|
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

It sounds like kluwe realized that even though there was inappropriate behavior his release likely wasn't a result of those actions.

Seems like a decent middle ground.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Does this mean we never have to see St. Kluwe's name again in reference to the Vikes? What a tool.