Kluwe rips Frazier, Spielman, Priefer

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Just Me
Hall of Famer

Re: Kluwe rips Frazier, Spielman, Priefer

Post by Just Me »

S197 wrote:It could also be a negotiation tactic. You ask for x and you settle for y. Happens all the time. I put the chances of this going to court at next to zero.

A settlement is a good compromise. The Vikings don't release the report and move on. Kluwe gets money to his cause and also the admission that Priefer made inappropriate comments (the severity of which can be debated but all sides are basically now acknowledging inappropriate comments were made).
I think you are right. Kluwe has (IMO) a small, to less than small, chance of victory in his suit. The Vikings could benefit from just taking care of this and moving on. It will be curious to see if both sides see it this way and ultimately settle.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Tom Powers: Of Chris Kluwe, the Vikings and lessons lost

From the middle of the column:
But here's the thing: Lost amid all this gamesmanship and attention-grabbing is the fact that an educational opportunity virtually has disappeared.

At the most basic level, Kluwe vs. Vikings was a chance to show that the sports world is changing, or at least attempting to, right alongside the real world when it comes to basic human rights. A coach said something inappropriate and was called on it and then suspended. The lesson is that such behavior is not acceptable.

Period, end of story, everyone goes home a little wiser.

There was such potential here. Instead, this thing is getting beaten to death. As a result, there is a clear backlash at the over-the-top reaction by Kluwe and his lawyers. His motives are being questioned. And from this moment on, nothing good is going to happen. This should be over. What's left?

As for who won the battle, until a few days ago I'd say Kluwe did. Not on the job front. Investigators concurred with what most of us already considered fact: that Kluwe was replaced for economic and performance reasons. But he did manage to get Priefer in trouble for what he said, which really was mean when taken in any possible context.

However, Kluwe's actions now smack of exploitation. And in terms of public opinion, he's moved from the win column to the loss column.
More at the link.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

High-powered attorneys to join Vikings legal team in Kluwe case

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 55071.html
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

dead_poet wrote:High-powered attorneys to join Vikings legal team in Kluwe case

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 55071.html
How can the Vikings do this to a poor innocent guy like Kluwe whose been nothing but honest, and every moment of his life is spent for others. I don't know if I will ever be able to watch another Vikings game.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Vikings: Chris Kluwe relieved as settlement is reached
After 7-1/2 months, the saga involving former Vikings punter Chris Kluwe appears ready to come to an end.

Kluwe's lawyer, Clayton Halunen, said Friday in a text message to the Pioneer Press that a settlement has been reached "amongst the parties,'' avoiding a lawsuit that had been threatened against the Vikings.

Kluwe said a news conference will be held early next week, and he called it a relief he won't have to take the team to court over his May 2013 release.

"Yeah, that's something I don't think either side wanted,'' Kluwe told the Pioneer Press. "Hopefully, this will be closure and everyone can move on to do bigger and better things.''
A source close to the situation said nothing yet was in writing but that a deal between the Vikings and Kluwe's side would be finalized.

"There will be more details next week,'' said Kluwe, who didn't offer specifics but said he will be in the Twin Cities for the news conference. "We're still getting some things arranged.''
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

So a conclusion to this "extortion" :roll: Let's see where the proceeds actually end up :!:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Purple bruise wrote:Let's see where the proceeds actually end up :!:
I've been plenty cynical regarding Kluwe in this mess, but c'mon man. Do you really think that he will try to pocket this money after how public this has all been? He's made it known that any money awarded to him will be given to LGBT charities, in fact I doubt any money will actually pass through Kluwe. It will probably go direct from the Vikings to the designated charities.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

HornedMessiah wrote: I've been plenty cynical regarding Kluwe in this mess, but c'mon man. Do you really think that he will try to pocket this money after how public this has all been? He's made it known that any money awarded to him will be given to LGBT charities, in fact I doubt any money will actually pass through Kluwe. It will probably go direct from the Vikings to the designated charities.
As I stated before, if he actually donates all the proceeds, then I won't dislike him as much as I do now.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Purple bruise wrote:So a conclusion to this "extortion" :roll: Let's see where the proceeds actually end up :!:
Extortion only works if someone is guilty of something. :wink:
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Reignman wrote:Extortion only works if someone is guilty of something. :wink:
By the strictest definition: the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats (extortion) does not have to involve anyone of being guilty of anything. Not saying that Priefer/Vikings aren't guilty, just feeling a little pedantic this morning :) .
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Just Me wrote: By the strictest definition: the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats (extortion) does not have to involve anyone of being guilty of anything. Not saying that Priefer/Vikings aren't guilty, just feeling a little pedantic this morning :) .
That's true ... It doesn't ... They could be physically afraid of Kluwe :D
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Cliff wrote: That's true ... It doesn't ... They could be physically afraid of Kluwe :D
:rofl: Touche'
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Just Me wrote: By the strictest definition: the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats (extortion) does not have to involve anyone of being guilty of anything. Not saying that Priefer/Vikings aren't guilty, just feeling a little pedantic this morning :) .
I see your pedanticalness and raise you a quibble :mrgreen: . Haha no, in that case, extortion is not the droids we're looking for. Because either someone believes a former punter just threatened and forcibly took money from a rich New Jersey businessman, or someone is guilty of something. And since Kluwe hasn't disappeared Hoffa style, I'm banking on the latter. :rofl:
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

ESPN - In settlement with Chris Kluwe, Vikings will donate to several groups that support gay rights

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=11375100

And, no, Kluwe isn't getting any money.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Awesome. Glad Wilf family will do this.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.