2014 Vikings Draft Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: 2014 Vikings Draft Discussion

Post by Mothman »

Scott Wright's take on the Vikings from his latest 3 round mock draft:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php
#8 MINNESOTA VIKINGS: ANTHONY BARR, OLB, UCLA
Everyone assumes the Vikings are looking for a quarterback with this pick but don’t be surprised if they address one of their many holes on the defensive side of the ball and target a signal caller such as Zach Mettenberger of L.S.U. later on. UCLA OLB Anthony Barr began his college career as a fullback / tight end hybrid but has been nothing short of a revelation since transitioning to defense as a junior. An incredible athlete with an outstanding blend of size and speed as well as top-notch intangibles, Barr terrorizes opponents as a blitzer off the edge and the scary part is he’s just beginning to tap into his immense potential. Barr is still rough around the edges and will require some patience but he has all of the tools to develop into an elite pass rusher at the next level. Buffalo OLB Khalil Mack would probably get the edge over Barr but it’s unlikely he’ll last this long. Keep an eye on Alabama ILB C.J. Mosley too. Don’t rule out Oklahoma St. CB Justin Gilbert either as he could be the top-flight cover guy they’ve been desperately searching for in recent years. Central Florida QB Blake Bortles isn’t going to slide this far but he is an ideal fit for Offensive Coordinator Norv Turner’s system and the Vikes could explore a trade up if he were to escape the Top 3. Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater will also be in the conversation and Fresno St. QB Derek Carr could be a darkhorse. As for Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel, it’s pretty tough to envision a hard-nosed, no-nonsense guy such as Head Coach Mike Zimmer putting up with all of the extracurricular distractions that come with "Johnny Football".

#40 MINNESOTA VIKINGS: ZACH METTENBERGER, QB, L.S.U.
Prototypical big armed pocket passer is a perfect for Offensive Coordinator Norv Turner's scheme.

#72 MINNESOTA VIKINGS: DEONE BUCANNON, S, WASHINGTON ST.
Extraordinarily productive, physical and hard-hitting but is better in the box than in coverage.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I'm really starting to love Deone Buchanon out of Washington State with pick 40. He's one of the hardest hitters I've seen come out of the draft in a long time and has very solid ball skills. I know Safety isn't a HUGE needs but he would be solid next to Smith this year. However, I think our only hope is to take him at 40. Which means we will have to take a QB at 8 or in the 3rd.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Move back to 19. I'd pull that. "@OmarKelly: I've heard a rumor that #Dolphins have discussed moving up to Minnesota's pick at No. 8.
@MasterStrib on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Would trading back for Clinton-Dix be so bad? Cover safety and box safety who are both good couldn't hurt us
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote: @MasterStrib on Twitter
They must really like Taylor Lewan down in Miami. Perhaps they are hoping that Jake Matthews will fall to number eight as well.

NextQuestion wrote:Would trading back for Clinton-Dix be so bad? Cover safety and box safety who are both good couldn't hurt us
Ha-Ha is more Harrison Smith than Mark Barron. I think Zimmer (I could be wrong) would like a true box safety like Craig Loston. Personally, I would like Ha-Ha on this team if we traded back and Teddy Bridgewater wasn't available.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

SI-64 releases top player in 2014 NFL draft: http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/29/2014-nfl-d ... idgewater/

Entire Top-64: http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/03/2014-nfl-d ... prospects/

Not too many surprises here. Evans just over Watkins; Barr, Mosely, Nix and Pryor ranked higher than some would put them (6, 7, 12 and 16, respectively). Some would say McCarron is ranked fairly high and that Jernigan's stock has cooled in recent months. Dennard's profile was encouraging.

Worth giving your favorite players a look.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

Mike Glennon on the trading block

I wonder would it be worth a 3rd or 4th round pick if Tampa Bay decides to pick a QB at 7
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

MrPurplenGold wrote:Mike Glennon on the trading block

I wonder would it be worth a 3rd or 4th round pick if Tampa Bay decides to pick a QB at 7
Jeez. Talk about feeling unwanted after a largely decent rookie year. Poor chap.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
Ha-Ha is more Harrison Smith than Mark Barron. I think Zimmer (I could be wrong) would like a true box safety like Craig Loston. Personally, I would like Ha-Ha on this team if we traded back and Teddy Bridgewater wasn't available.
I would take Bucannon over either of them. I think Bucannon is much better value at 40 and then we can focus on a more immediate need at 8 (QB, LB, CB)
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

MrPurplenGold wrote:Mike Glennon on the trading block

Not much of an upgrade (if at all) but at least he has upside. And some NFL snaps. I'd take him as a backup over Ponder. Might even beat out Cassell. And his contract is more than manageable. 4th maybe. If it's him or some random left over QB, wonder how he stacks up compared to what's going to be available from the third round on.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

yeah add another bum qb to our roster that is just the ticket.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

mosscarter wrote:yeah add another bum qb to our roster that is just the ticket.
He's that bad, huh? What makes him a bum qb? I just don't see that. I think he'd make a solid option for somebody.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Guy had a better QB rating his rookie year than Ponder had in any of his three. Or Cassell in his last three. And he's younger than both of them!

You could say the same about "bum" Qbs for any qb we'll probably draft this year. Much less in the 4th on!
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

How did that last QB work out that the Vikes got from Tampa :?: Just what they need another cast-off, Freeman, Cassell no thanks :!:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

He's better then the 2 bums we have on the roster now. And remember, Norv and Zimmer can save anyone. Even Ponder has a chance!