2014 Vikings Draft Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

2014 Vikings Draft Discussion

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

This thread is to discuss our specific draft position, our draft philosophy, specific prospects, etc. The purpose of this thread is to keep all 2014 Vikings draft discussion within and not having to create multiple threads regarding the subject. I came from another forum and they had a similar thread that generated a lot of good discussion.

Fire away!! :v):
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 2014 Vikings Draft Discussion

As for our first few picks, I am really torn on what I would prefer. A QB first and then defense 2nd or vice versa. I am almost leaning towards taking the best defensive prospect available with our 1st pick and look at QB within the 2nd-3rd rounds (McCarron, Garoppolo, Boyd, Mettenberger, Murray). I have heard that McCarron is starting to sneak up draft boards as well.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

As for defensive prospects in the first round, realistically, I would like Louis Nix or CJ Mosely. Barr is up there as well but if we stay around our current draft position he will be long gone.

Side note: Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout 10 Dec
One team in the NFC North loves Jimmy Garappolo. Told me “his arm is better than (Derek) Carr’s, and he’s smoother in the pocket.”

^I would imagine it's either us or Chicago. I would love him in the 2nd
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: His release is crazy quick. It won't suprise me if he turns out to be the best QB in this class, but he has a ton of question marks, mostly based on his level of competition.
Yeah that's exactly what scares me too. QBs that play below average competition struggle to make it in the NFL. Only a select few do. Hopefully he can be one of those select few
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:He's a gamble for sure. I'd be hesitant to invest more than a 2nd, but I think I'd be willing to do that.
I'm not sure if I would even invest a second round pick in him. He's a good prospect but it's a big step to go from the Ohio Valley Conference to the NFL. It's not an impossible step but it's a step that, as you said, makes him a gamble.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Clowney, Barr and I'm adding Dennard to the mix of guys I want with that first pick.

If Vikings win a few more then Dennard is highly likely. Can you imagine?...Dennard on one side with Rhodes on the other and Harrison roaming the middle. So much potential there.

Joe Rexrode ‏@joerexrode1h
Receivers averaged 5.35 per catch against Dennard, lowest figure against a defensive back since BCS era began in 1998.

Joe Rexrode ‏@joerexrode1h
Dennard allowed an average of 0.8198 yards per pass attempt, lowest recorded since NFL Draft Report started doing this in 1968 -- wow.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

Mel Kiper says Johnny Manziel would be a great choice for the V ikings as he reminds many of Sir Francis :rock:
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:No doubt about it. I have had the chance to see him play and have been impressed. I am impressed by his accuracy, timing, and quick release. Also, his go to WR is not the type that can bail a guy out. He is a small quick, slot type wr. they have great timing and chemistry. I just bring that up to contrast with a guy like Manziel (who I like for the record) who scrambles and often flings it up and relies on Evans to find a way to come down with it. It seems to me that timing routes have become so crucial in the NFL, and Garoppolo has that ability. Unfortunately I think thats something ponder was never able to develop.

But to be clear, he is a gamble. I'm willing to bet he goes in the 2nd at this point for his upside and the buzz he will generate pre-draft.
You may be right. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

I'm starting to waffle on Manziel as a high first round pick. His upside is easy to see but so is the bust potential. It would certainly be a bold move to draft him.

Anyway, the contrast in styles you mentioned is a good point and one that works in Garoppolo's favor.

If the Vikes do select him, we need to come with a nickname for him. Typing "Garoppolo" all the time could become a chore. :)
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

I'm not against Manziel, but I don't trust Kiper.

Anyone can find it easy to say Manziel is like Fran, therefore he's a good fit for the Vikings. That's not a football decision that is contemplated in war rooms. Can he do what he does on the NFL level and can he sustain it is the question Spielman and whomever will decide upon.

If we're going the nostalgic route then I'd prefer a return of a vaunted defense a la the Purple People Eaters. Espcially with the Vikings moving out doors for the next two years.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote:Clowney, Barr and I'm adding Dennard to the mix of guys I want with that first pick.
What's the deal with Barr? I haven't seen him play and everything I read about him focuses on his pass rushing ability, which makes me wonder if he's really more of a 3-4 pass rushing LB or a light defensive end than an every down LB in a 4-3 defense. I find Mack more intriguing as an LB prospect but that may just be because I'm a little more familiar with him.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

You're right about Barr. 3-4 is ideal on paper because he's one of those uber-athletes and hybrid LB types. I just love his playmaking ability. As a linebacker, very few, if any, can beat him to the edge and as a pass rusher, he's highly energetic, long and athletic.

I don't think he's an exclusive 3-4 backer though. He's just one of those guys that will succeed anywhere on the field. He was an RB and then WR/TE when he arrived at UCLA so when I say anywhere on the field...I mean it.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote:You're right about Barr. 3-4 is ideal on paper because he's one of those uber-athletes and hybrid LB types. I just love his playmaking ability. As a linebacker, very few, if any, can beat him to the edge and as a pass rusher, he's highly energetic, long and athletic.

I don't think he's an exclusive 3-4 backer though. He's just one of those guys that will succeed anywhere on the field. He was an RB and then WR/TE when he arrived at UCLA so when I say anywhere on the field...I mean it.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I need to seem him play!
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

No problem. I'd post highlights if I wasn't at work, but their bowl game against Virginia Tech should be a good stage to see his abilities.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Here is an analysis done by CBS/NFLdraftscout.com:
Strengths: Long, lean athletic frame with plenty of room for additional musculature. Light, quick feet. Good balance and flexibility to change directions and to avoid cut-blocks. Good bend to dip under the reach of pass blockers and possesses the acceleration to close on the ball. An explosive hitter who can dislodge the ball (four forced fumbles in 2012). Good vision and lateral agility to work twists, showing an active jab-step to get the left tackle moving outside before circling back inside to attack the gaps between interior linemen. Possesses long arms and surprising strength to hold up at the point and keep his containment responsibilities. Very smooth in his acceleration when tracking in pursuit, showing good lateral agility and vision to avoid downfield blockers and the strength to pull down ballcarriers from behind. Experienced and active special teams defender.

Weaknesses: Relies on his size and athleticism to make virtually all of his plays. Extremely raw, especially in his use of hands. Is too easily locked up by offensive tackles, tight ends and even fullbacks because he doesn't keep his hands actively ripping away at blockers' attempts to grasp onto his jersey. Loses track of the football, at times, and must do a better job of pursuing downfield when he does find it. Relies too much on his natural explosiveness as a hitter, rather than wrapping his arms around the ballcarrier securely.

Compares To: Clay Matthews, OLB, Green Bay Packers -- Matthews may have emerged as one of the NFL's fiercest pass rushers now but he, like Barr, required quite a bit of polishing to become a consistently dominating force.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

The most intriguing this about Barr is his upside. I feel we would need a change in scheme in order to draft Barr. However, I feel Nix and Mosely are much safer picks. Either one of them would be a huge upgrade to this defense. Also, many are forgetting about Audie Cole. Cole has been very solid as of late. I could definitely see him as a starter next year. The good thing about Cole is that he is very athletic...something we currently dont have at LB.
-Chazz Palminteri