2014 Vikings Draft Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 2014 Vikings Draft Discussion

Post by headless_norseman »

Purple bruise wrote: What is important is that this journeyman qb spiralled down the tubes with KC where his last season he threw twice as many ints. than tds.. After that they realeased him after his last terrible season.

A lot of that had to do with horrible coaching. Hence the major turnaround the very next year.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

headless_norseman wrote:
A lot of that had to do with horrible coaching. Hence the major turnaround the very next year.
What major turnaround are you referring to?
Last edited by Purple bruise on Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

headless_norseman wrote:I think that Pat team was 11-5, weren't they?
Yes. Sorry, I was looking at their W/L records on pro-football-reference.com when I typed that and I accidentally typed in their W/L record from the following year. Thank you for the correction.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Purple bruise wrote: What major turnaround are you referring to?

KC's season last year.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

A lot of that had to do with horrible coaching. Hence the major turnaround the very next year.[/quote]
What major turnaround are you referring to?[/quote]

KC's season last year.[/quote]

Ok I thought that you were referring to Cassel's major turnaround :) Yes the Chiefs had much better coaching and got a much better QB in Alex Smith.

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple bruise wrote: What major turnaround are you referring to?
He's talking about KC's record last year, under Reid. However, I think that also had to do with changing quarterbacks, adding talent in some other key areas and a favorable schedule, not just coaching. That's not intended to take anything away from Reid, who obviously did a good job last season.

It's worth noting that Cassel was released after Reid was hired and the Chiefs went out and signed Smith. That at least implies that Reid didn't view Cassel as a viable starter who was just a victim trapped on a poorly-caoched team. Cassel had two years left on his contract and the Chiefs were trying to trade him for a late round pick but found no takers, so they released him.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

It's worth noting that Cassel was released after Reid was hired and the Chiefs went out and signed Smith. That at least implies that Reid didn't view Cassel as a viable starter who was just a victim trapped on a poorly-caoched team. Cassel had two years left on his contract and the Chiefs were trying to trade him for a late round pick but found no takers, so they released him.[/quote]

I am so glad that the Chiefs got him from the Pats (they gave up a first round pick) and not the Vikings. Turns out the Vikes got him for nothing. Don't get me wrong I hope that beyond some miracle and in his 10th or 11 season he some how starts playing really good. But I am not counting on that at all.

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Purple bruise wrote: That probably had more to do with Belechick and the rest of the team. In his last 3 years of playing in New England he only threw 39 passes (that's all three years, with 2 tds.and 2 ints.) What is important is that this journeyman qb spiralled down the tubes with KC where his last season he threw twice as many ints. than tds.. After that they realeased him after his last terrible season.
I am not sure what play-off games he played, the only one I remember was an embarrasing loss to the Ravens 30-7 and Cassel had a total of 70 yards passing for the game.
Was there another play-off game that he played in?

headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Purple bruise wrote:It's worth noting that Cassel was released after Reid was hired and the Chiefs went out and signed Smith. That at least implies that Reid didn't view Cassel as a viable starter who was just a victim trapped on a poorly-caoched team. Cassel had two years left on his contract and the Chiefs were trying to trade him for a late round pick but found no takers, so they released him.
I am so glad that the Chiefs got him from the Pats (they gave up a first round pick) and not the Vikings. Turns out the Vikes got him for nothing. Don't get me wrong I hope that beyond some miracle and in his 10th or 11 season he some how starts playing really good. But I am not counting on that at all.[/quote]

He's capable of doing it under the right or good circumstances.

-- Bud Grant
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Purple bruise wrote:
Was there another play-off game that he played in?

I think I was posting wrongly by equating the Pats 11-5 team as a playoff caliber team in my head. It was early in the morning for me down here :shock:

-- Bud Grant
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

someone noted that cassel's stint with the chiefs was in part horrible coaching, well allow me to ask what kind of coaching staff did we have here last season? as bad, or quite possibly worse? cassel will do just fine under norv turner. he won't be a superstar but he'll put up better numbers than ponder ever did.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I'm really happy we got Cassel back.
He moved the ball down the field real
well last year.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

mosscarter wrote:someone noted that cassel's stint with the chiefs was in part horrible coaching, well allow me to ask what kind of coaching staff did we have here last season? as bad, or quite possibly worse? cassel will do just fine under norv turner. he won't be a superstar but he'll put up better numbers than ponder ever did.
Strange logic since Ponder has spent his 36 game career playing for these same crappy coaches :?

mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Purple bruise wrote: Strange logic since Ponder has spent his 36 game career playing for these same crappy coaches :?
Personally I'm glad we're holding onto Ponder for that very reason. Ponder just wasn't very good out of Musgrave's condensed, 2-3 TE's with a FB and RB and only 1-2 WR formations where he was under center. I don't see any QB really being successful in that system by today's terms but it is what it is. When we spread the field a little more, gave him more receiving targets, out of the shotgun, Ponder looked noticeably more comfortable and played a little bit better. Of course the sample size is just way too small as Musgrave rarely put him in those conditions and was more concerned about forcing his scheme on the team rather than adapting to their strengths but there is a tiny glimmer there that Ponder could bounce back like a Rich Gannon with the right scheme / coaching. It could also not help him at all though which is probably more likely.

I do think our coaches were most inept at anything but trying to ride Adrian Peterson to another 2k+ rushing season and when he couldn't deliver that's how you get the 3-13 and 5-10-1 type seasons from Frazier's group. The entire offense was banking on no one being able to adapt to Musgrave's 10 in the box condense it down formation and spring AD strategy and unfortunately outside of the first play of the lions game, they did.

As for Cassel I imagine he'll be serviceable in Turner's offense. If he can hang around that 16th mark for starting QB's and just be "average" or slightly above that'll do with our running game and the much improved Zimmer defense. I'm not expecting a probowl year from Cassel and neither should you but this team may not need that to hit a wildcard berth.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Because Ponder would do better if he had to read more of the field? Or throw down field more often? That's the ticket! :rofl:

Bortles and Carr looked so lost when I watched them in games, can't believe Bortles is touted as the best QB in the draft. Guess these two look a lot better in shorts with no pass rush.