Vikings QB of the future search list

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings QB of the future search list

Post by Texas Vike »

My sources tell me that Speilman is having fun, and the guy they really want is Manziel or Bridgewater.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Funkytown wrote: :lol: Good stuff.

But now you just ruined the draft for me, because it won't even be half that exciting! :cry:
LOL!

As I was typing that, I started thinking, "wow, how exciting would it be if something like this actually happened?".
Texas Vike wrote:My sources tell me that Speilman is having fun, and the guy they really want is Manziel or Bridgewater.
That's possible. I really do wonder if there is a particular QB they're targeting yet. They've probably narrowed it down to certain candidates they prefer but they're still working players out, attending pro days, etc. and there's a lot of time remaining until they draft so they might still be in scouting mode.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: LOL!

As I was typing that, I started thinking, "wow, how exciting would it be if something like this actually happened?".
That's possible. I really do wonder if there is a particular QB they're targeting yet. They've probably narrowed it down to certain candidates they prefer but they're still working players out, attending pro days, etc. and there's a lot of time remaining until they draft so they might still be in scouting mode.

Honestly? I don't doubt the possibility of this alleged "report". Is it that far fetched to think that Spielman would be in touch with the Rams about possibly trading up to 2? If he's doing his job, he should be exploring all options. Whether Bortles is really the target is probably debatable, but I definitely hope our GM IS taking the time to think through a full range of options to improve our team.

One problem I have with the trade up scenario is that it puts even MORE pressure on that player to be THE GUY. The other problem, the main one, is that I don't see any QBs worthy of such a sacrifice.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

What's understood doesn't have to be explained.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Honestly? I don't doubt the possibility of this alleged "report". Is it that far fetched to think that Spielman would be in touch with the Rams about possibly trading up to 2? If he's doing his job, he should be exploring all options. Whether Bortles is really the target is probably debatable, but I definitely hope our GM IS taking the time to think through a full range of options to improve our team.
I'm sure he is and I don't have any issues with the plausibility of a scenario in which the Vikings trade up to the #2 spot to select a QB. That could happen. I was just amused by the choice of words in Charlie Campbell's mock draft entry. Specifically:
Sources have told us that the Vikings are a real contender to move up for Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles.

That trade was documented in two recent mock drafts on WalterFootball.com in Walt's trade mock and my mock. His good work ethic meshes well with the new coaching staff, and sources say that Bortles is the Vikings' top-rated quarterback with Derek Carr as their No. 2 quarterback.

Minnesota clearly needs a franchise quarterback, and the team has extra ammo to move up with two third-round picks. Sources with the Rams say that it would take a lot for St. Louis to drop down to eight. The Vikings could try a big package of second-day picks, but might have to use their 2015 first-rounder.
I think amateurs like Campbell and "Walter Football" throw the word "sources" around in an effort to give their mock drafts and trade theories an air of legitimacy. When they do it as often as Campbell did it amuses me.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

I agree, Moth. "It has been documented"? By whom? Other hack writers who initially cited the current "author". It's a circle of BS. Do you think they even convince themselves or are they aware of the crock that they're stirring?

Maybe it's Wobschal's fault. Spielman paid him to be an inside source and make up BS.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

if norv turner can't pick a qb of the future no one can. once they determine who they think that is, go after him regardless of what it takes. if they determine one of the top 4 aren't in play, trade back and be patient.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Kliff Kingsbury: Johnny Manziel wants to be greatest ever.....Being the best player one can be is all some professional athletes ask of themselves, and indeed, all anyone can ask of them. For Johnny Manziel, according to former Texas A&M offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury, the determination goes far beyond that.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... atest-ever

Man I hope the Vikes find a way to draft this kid. :rock:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:I agree, Moth. "It has been documented"? By whom? Other hack writers who initially cited the current "author". It's a circle of BS. Do you think they even convince themselves or are they aware of the crock that they're stirring?
Perhaps a little of both? It's hard to say but it definitely amuses me!
Maybe it's Wobschal's fault. Spielman paid him to be an inside source and make up BS.
Whether it's his fault or not, I say we blame him. :)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple bruise wrote:Kliff Kingsbury: Johnny Manziel wants to be greatest ever.....Being the best player one can be is all some professional athletes ask of themselves, and indeed, all anyone can ask of them. For Johnny Manziel, according to former Texas A&M offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury, the determination goes far beyond that.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... atest-ever

Man I hope the Vikes find a way to draft this kid. :rock:
I can't decide if he's going to be the next great NFL QB or if he's in for an extremely rude awakening. I imagine there are NFL defenders already just itching for the chance to put a big "welcoming" hit on him.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Mothman wrote: I can't decide if he's going to be the next great NFL QB or if he's in for an extremely rude awakening. I imagine there are NFL defenders already just itching for the chance to put a big "welcoming" hit on him.
Thats true but after soooo many years of not having a really good QB this guy has tons of potential and I would like the team go out on a limb and take a chance. Imagine if they did not take a flyer on him and he was/is the second coming of Brees/Tarkenton and they missed out.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple bruise wrote:Thats true but after soooo many years of not having a really good QB this guy has tons of potential and I would like the team go out on a limb and take a chance. Imagine if they did not take a flyer on him and he was/is the second coming of Brees/Tarkenton and they missed out.
That would definitely be a drag. I really have no problem with the idea of the Vikes drafting him. He scares the heck out of me as a potential bust but he could also be great.

I have a feeling he's not going to be available though. I suspect he'll end up going to one of the teams ahead of the Vikes that needs a QB.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Bridgewater falls to 8 and Vikings get another steal of the draft!
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

Mothman wrote:Sources tell me the Vikings will actually trade up to #2 and draft Bortles but will then trade him to Jacksonville for the third pick and a third rounder. Sources then revealed the Vikes will draft Manziel at #3 and he will immediately be traded to Cleveland for the #4 pick, and a fourth rounder. The Vikes will use the #4 pick to draft Bridgewater, who will immediately be traded to the Raiders for the #5 pick and a second rounder. After that, sources tell me the Vikings will draft Mack and will use some of the extra picks they acquired to move back into the first and draft Carr, who they will then trade. Sources aren't clear about who the Vikings trade partner in that transaction will be but sources can be funny that way.

The Vikings will then draft Jimmy Garoppolo in the second round.

Sources tell me the Vikings will do all of this because their research has revealed that it will be the most effective way to upset a majority of their fan base.

What can I say? I'm getting all of this from sources. Yep. Reliable sources...

:point:
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Demi wrote:Bridgewater falls to 8 and Vikings get another steal of the draft!
:thumbsup: