Vikings QB of the future search list

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mondry
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings QB of the future search list

Post by mondry »

dead_poet wrote: That could change with the Vikings picking eighth and -- rumor has it -- in desperate need of a young franchise QB.
RUMOR HAS IT? uh... no, pretty sure it's the depth chart that has it all laid out pretty clear.

LOL! Maybe it's just me but it cracks me up seeing stuff like that written. "THIS JUST IN, RUMOR HAS IT, VIKINGS WOULD LIKE TO BE BETTER AT QB, THEY MAY EVEN BE wait for it...... DESPERATE!" Turns out having bad QB's is not good! Stay tuned for further details as this groundbreaking story comes in!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote: RUMOR HAS IT? uh... no, pretty sure it's the depth chart that has it all laid out pretty clear.

LOL! Maybe it's just me but it cracks me up seeing stuff like that written. "THIS JUST IN, RUMOR HAS IT, VIKINGS WOULD LIKE TO BE BETTER AT QB, THEY MAY EVEN BE wait for it...... DESPERATE!" Turns out having bad QB's is not good! Stay tuned for further details as this groundbreaking story comes in!
I'm pretty sure he was being ironic. :)
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

dead_poet wrote:Pretty depressing.

Vikings' QB drafting drought precedes Spielman
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 58861.html
Those stats may sound abysmal but if you think about there is only 1 quarterback position and generally 1-2 QBs play per season. So a QB taken in the 5th or 6th round is much less likely to ever start or play a game compared to a LB or OL/DL player.

What if I said that 2/3rds of the Vikings 1st round QBs drafted turn out to be hits? That's also true. Culpepper (yes), Kramer (yes), Ponder (no).
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

20/20 hindsight being what it is, if Spielman selects Manziel or Bridgewater or basically any QB in the top 10 this year and they fail, in 2 or 3 years we'll be hearing about how he "panicked' and selected that player because Ponder didn't work out and the best option they had signed was Cassel.
You're comparing two guys who could go top 5, to a guy who was projected a 2nd or 3rd round pick? Well you ignore projections and any prognostication, so I can see why I guess. If he takes the best QB in the draft no one is going to say he "paniced". If he takes Jimmy the Tortoise #8 overall after 3 or 4 QBs go before the pick, yeah, some people are going to talk about how he paniced. Because just like with Ponder, that's what will have happened...

But the "BS"? Reports the Vikings wanted Locker, and panicked were there at the time, how can you now say it's "20/20 hindsight"? There was a run on QBs, he drafted a QB #12 that no one other than homers or Spielman himself felt was worth the pick. Everything that happened with Ponder was clear to see from the time he was picked. There was no hindsight needed. And it worked out about as well as many people expected it to, again, no hindsight. Just because some people ignore every news report and scouting report not naming three sources and at least one notarized letter of interest, doesn't mean none of it could have even possibly been true. :confused:
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

isn't it pathetic we are talking about the ability to draft a legitimate qb after all these years?
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

And I will bet you anything that the #1 cynic of the message board will be finding fault and complaining about every draft pick selected :shock:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Foe him if you don't like it? :confused:
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Demi wrote:Foe him if you don't like it? :confused:
Geez dude really, I was not referring to him :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote:You're comparing two guys who could go top 5, to a guy who was projected a 2nd or 3rd round pick?

Actually, I didn't make that comparison at all. I made a point about the degree to which some fans will criticize the GM and characterize any decision that doesn't work out.
Well you ignore projections and any prognostication...
I do? That's certainly news to me.
If he takes the best QB in the draft no one is going to say he "paniced".
LOL! Fans like you would criticize Spielman if you didn't like what he had for breakfast.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Purple bruise wrote: Geez dude really, I was not referring to him :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
He means the #1 cynic. He was just generally speaking. "Geez, dude, really?!" Try to keep up. And, yes, foe him. Please!
Mothman wrote: LOL! Fans like you would criticize Spielman if you didn't like what he had for breakfast.
Well, hello, breakfast is the most important meal of the day! That's a big deal, Jim. Don't downplay it!
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

She sure set us straight :lol: What's for breakfast?

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Funkytown wrote:Well, hello, breakfast is the most important meal of the day! That's a big deal, Jim. Don't downplay it!
Good point. I believe in breakfast! I eat it every day. :)
KSViking
Veteran

Post by KSViking »

Mothman wrote: Sorry about the rant. I just tire of all the BS that surrounds this subject.

20/20 hindsight being what it is, if Spielman selects Manziel or Bridgewater or basically any QB in the top 10 this year and they fail, in 2 or 3 years we'll be hearing about how he "panicked' and selected that player because Ponder didn't work out and the best option they had signed was Cassel. :steamed:
I think you are exaggerating a little bit here. If Spielman picks Mettenberger or even Carr with the 1st round pick, and they fail, you will hear that we were desperate and panicked. I think that if we pick any of the "perceived" Big 3 QBs, and they fail, that other excuses would arise. I don't know too many years the Vikings have had the opportunity to swing on a top rated QB in this league. We could have pulled a Redskins and sacrificed 3 years worth of 1st round picks, and other picks to move up for RG3. But I think people (you know I would be one of them) would be screaming about the cost and was he worth it. Then right now, we would not have Kalil, Smith, Patterson, Rhodes. I agree you have to take a swing if you are ever going to hit. But swinging at balls flying over your head rarely nets you a homerun either.
Tark10
Starter

Post by Tark10 »

Lets give the G.M. a chance in this draft. I'm still hoping for Manziel. I heard Mayock discuss Carr the other day. The review sounded just like Ponder. If the pocket holds and the primary receiver is open, he looks great. If not, he runs... Ponder II.. If they do draft a QB, I can't see them keeping 3 quarterbacks on the roster. They just signed Matt. I would expect Ponder to be released.. That'll be a happy day for me. Staubach said the Texans should draft Manziel. Here in Houston, its beginning to sound like Clowney, then a quarterback in the second round.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

KSViking wrote:I think you are exaggerating a little bit here. If Spielman picks Mettenberger or even Carr with the 1st round pick, and they fail, you will hear that we were desperate and panicked. I think that if we pick any of the "perceived" Big 3 QBs, and they fail, that other excuses would arise.
I should have chosen my words more carefully. I didn't literally mean ANY quarterback.

If they choose one of the '"perceived" Big 3 QBs and they fail, maybe people will talk about panic and desperation and maybe not but you can bet they'll do a lot of botching and moaning.
I don't know too many years the Vikings have had the opportunity to swing on a top rated QB in this league. We could have pulled a Redskins and sacrificed 3 years worth of 1st round picks, and other picks to move up for RG3. But I think people (you know I would be one of them) would be screaming about the cost and was he worth it. Then right now, we would not have Kalil, Smith, Patterson, Rhodes. I agree you have to take a swing if you are ever going to hit. But swinging at balls flying over your head rarely nets you a homerun either
Nobody is suggesting they swing at bad pitches. There are always going to be people complaining about the cost of a pick and questioning whether a player was worth it and there will always be players at other positions worth selecting. The Vikes have spent most of their history making the latter choice and while it's understandable and in some cases, the right choice, they have to take more swings at the QB position.
Last edited by Mothman on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.