Vikings QB of the future search list

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Vikings QB of the future search list

Post by 720pete »

Let's make a list.

College QBs
Johnny Manziel (CBS) (Bleacher Report) (Rant Sports)
Teddy Bridgewater (CBS) (Bleacher Report) (Rant Sports)
Derek Carr (CBS) (Bleacher Report) (Rant Sports)
Zach Mettenberger (tore his ACL in December 2013) (CBS) (Vikings leaning toward Mettenberger in the 2nd?)
Blake Bortles (CBS) (Bleacher Report) (Rant Sports)
Jimmy Garoppolo (CBS) (Bleacher Report) (Rant Sports)
Connor Shaw (CBS) (Bleacher Report) (Rant Sports)

NFL QBs Under Contract
Sam Bradford - St. Louis Rams (Rams may not be interested in extending Bradford)
Kirk Cousins - Washington Redskins (2nd round pick?) (Skin's not interested in trading)
Ryan Mallett - New England Patriots (An "Intriguing trade candidate for the Vikings")
Terelle Pryor - Oakland Raiders (has requested a trade)
Brock Osweiler - Denver Broncos

Free Agent QBs

Vince Young - (Green Bay Packers) (Stats)
David Garrard - (New York Jets) (Stats)

No Longer Available
Jay Cutler - Chicago Bears (signed contract through 2020)
Josh McCown - Tampa Bay Buccaneers (signed 2-year contract)
Brandon Weeden - Dallas Cowboys
Matt Schaub - Oakland Raiders
Michael Vick - New York Jets
Mark Sanchez - Philadelphia Eagles
Last edited by 720pete on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings QB of the future is in the NFL or in college rig

Post by Purple bruise »

720pete wrote:Ok I think we can assume at this point that Ponder will not be our QB of the future. Most people don't think Freeman or Cassel will be either. We've had some good analysis on College QBs. Let's put together a list of potential options. Are there any current NFL QBs we could feasibly acquire that could compete for a starting our backup position or should we be looking to acquire someone in the draft?

Let's make a list.

College QBs
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
Derek Carr
Marcus Mariota
Zach Mettenberger

NFL QBs
Jay Cutler - Chicago Bears
Sam Bradford - St. Louis Rams
Michael Vick - Philadelphia Eagles
Kirk Cousins - Washington Redskins
Ryan Mallett - New England Patriots

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
Denver would not likely do it with Mannings advanced age but I would love to get Osweiler on the Vikes roster to see him compete for a job.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

720pete wrote:Ok I think we can assume at this point that Ponder will not be our QB of the future. Most people don't think Freeman or Cassel will be either. We've had some good analysis on College QBs. Let's put together a list of potential options. Are there any current NFL QBs we could feasibly acquire that could compete for a starting our backup position or should we be looking to acquire someone in the draft?

Let's make a list.

College QBs
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
Derek Carr
Marcus Mariota
Zach Mettenberger

NFL QBs
Jay Cutler - Chicago Bears
Sam Bradford - St. Louis Rams
Michael Vick - Philadelphia Eagles
Kirk Cousins - Washington Redskins
Ryan Mallett - New England Patriots

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
You can take Mariota off the list for 2014, he is staying another year. I would love Teddy, but don't see us breakinf the bank (or draft pick(s) on him. I also love Carr, and wouldn't mind us going Barr 1st pick, and Zach later(he wont play the first year, he is injured).

No way Spielman admits he screwed up once again and goes after Mallet. He had his chance, and he blew it on a reach for Ponder.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Purple bruise wrote:Denver would not likely do it with Mannings advanced age but I would love to get Osweiler on the Vikes roster to see him compete for a job.
Compete against who? Cassel or Ponder and a 7th round draft pick? The Vikings would be right back where they started.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Eli wrote: Compete against who? Cassel or Ponder and a 7th round draft pick? The Vikings would be right back where they started.
No dude, you are so eager to argue about everything :yawn: I said compete! Hopefully with a good prospect taken in the draft or yeah maybe with Cassel.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Purple bruise wrote: No dude, you are so eager to argue about everything. I said compete! Hopefully with a good prospect taken in the draft or yeah maybe with Cassel.
That strikes me as creating an odd situation, something like the Raiders have going on. Just tossing as many untested QBs into the mix as they can afford, hoping to get lucky with one. I'd like to see the Vikes pick up a better veteran than Cassel (without sh***ing the bed, as they did with McNabb) along with a good draft prospect. The 3rd QB could be a long term project, an ancient veteran backup or some other cheap option.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

Maybe Favre or Elway or Montana will unretire? Where you gonna find this available veteran who's better than Cassel that wants to come play for Muskrat and Milquetoast?

Eli wrote: That strikes me as creating an odd situation, something like the Raiders have going on. Just tossing as many untested QBs into the mix as they can afford, hoping to get lucky with one. I'd like to see the Vikes pick up a better veteran than Cassel (without sh***ing the bed, as they did with McNabb) along with a good draft prospect. The 3rd QB could be a long term project, an ancient veteran backup or some other cheap option.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

I wanted the Vikings to draft Mallet Back then. I Wonder how that Might have turned out if we had
tnvikesfan
Starter

Post by tnvikesfan »

I hope we go the college option. I don't know anything about those guys, but the list of 'available's in the NFL is not appealing.

I wil say this: if they acquire Vick, I will not watch a game until they get rid of him. Some say he's paid his debt, but I don't think the dogs he tortured or killed are on board with that.
~Ginny~

A woman is only vulnerable while her nails are wet. Even then, she can pull the trigger if she needs to.
joe h
Veteran

Post by joe h »

Bring in cutler, maybe Marshall will follow, since Patterson is Troy Williamson 2.0

Use the the first round pick on someone that can cover a damn receiver.
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

terry bridgewater
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Orion wrote:terry bridgewater
Teddy's brother? :confused:
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Orion wrote:terry bridgewater
Is that his younger brother? :twisted:
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I think it is likely the Vikings will end up drafting in the 6-10 range of the upcoming draft. That pretty much means they will not have a shot at Bridgewater unless they trade up. Mariota is going back to school, so he's off the list. I don't know if the other college QBs who still have eligibility have declared their intentions, either, and while I doubt Manziel would stay in college, it's possible. Depending on who comes out and who stays, the pickings for top QB prospects in the 6-10 range might be much slimmer than I expected even a month ago. Couple that with a Vikings team that seems intent on trying to win the rest of their games (witness running AD 35 times), and we have a recipe where it's entirely possible the best option at QB on this team heading into next year may very well continue to be Christian Ponder. That is a scary, sad, and terrifying thought, but Frazier may just make it a reality. It could be his last major gaffe gift to the team, right behind getting that meaningless win against Washington that knocked the Vikings out of the #2 spot in the draft where they could have been the beneficiaries of the blockbuster trade that will stock the Rams or taken Griffin themselves.

As far as FA QBs go, Cutler would be my choice if the Bears are dumb enough to let him go. Vick is done, and I don't see the Rams giving up Bradford. The others guys on that list are possible plays, although mostly unknowns. They could be ready to emerge, or they could tank. Spellman could not afford to go into a season with a guy like Mallet, or even Cousins, without having a viable alternative to compete for the job

The short of it is, the Vikings could very well play themselves right out of a spot where they might be able to land a guy like Derek Carr or even Manziel. They end up with, say, the 8th pick, and I could see Bridgewater, Carr, and Manziel all gone by the time that pick rolls around. Spellman, Frazier, and Wilf better have a heart-to-heart about the future here, because if this team isn't picking closer to 5th than 10th, that could easily make the difference between having at least one viable option at QB in the upcoming draft and being consigned to another season of Christian Ponder at QB while Spellman heaves prayers in FA or via trade.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I DO NOT want Cutler. I'd rather have Sam Bradford, even though he'd be far from my choice because he's made of glass. Cutler's attitude sucks, and for all his supposed greatness, he's led his team to the playoffs exactly the same number of times as Christian Ponder.

If Mariota was coming out, he'd be my college choice. I know he sh!ts the bed against Stanford, but he's got a ton of upside and great mobility. Bridgewater will be long gone by the time we pick.

Free agents ... I'd take a look at Kirk Cousins. He's got some ability, and he knows he's never going to play in Washington as long as RGIII is there.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.