If the season ended today

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Oakdale63
Backup

If the season ended today

Post by Oakdale63 »

What if the season ended today? Obviously it didn't but it'll be fun to see what adjustments people want right now and what adjustments we'll want after the post-season.

My thoughts:

START EVERSON GRIFFEN. I've been in favor of him starting over Robison since his sophomore season. He has a motor, he has burst, athleticism, flexibility, speed, strength, and tenacity. I want him to start, I need him to start next year to better our defense. He consistently gets sacks or pressures every time he's on the field, and whether we all want to admit it or not, Jared Allen isn't exactly the same player. He used to have a brilliant speed rush and now all of his sacks come off of bull rush/inside moves. Allen is a huge liability on the run and I firmly believe Griffen would equal or surpass 11 sacks had he started this year. Should we trade allen for maybe a 2nd and 3rd round draft pick? I'm not sure I know the answer, either way Griffen needs to start at one of the end spots.

Draft a wide receiver. We have that one large receiver we got in the fourth I believe last year that got injured and I'm still hopeful he'll be that Anquan Boldin/Fitzgerald big physical presence on the field when he returns, but preparing without him we need to draft someone immediately. Our slot game is perhaps the best in the league with a healthy Harvin and Wright, and a large possession tight end in Rudolph. We need 1 big, jump ball, blazer that can stretch the field and catch those post/corner/back shoulder patterns.

Resign Simpson for another 1 year contract with a 850 yard/5 TD incentive clause. The guy can be a great receiver, there's no doubt that he has it in him; we just gotta get it out of him.

Draft a top linebacker that can teem with Greenway to shore up that hole.

Address safety and guard in free agency. We need guys that we know can play in these positions. We lucked out with Harrison Smith but I wouldn't feel comfortable getting any younger in these two spots. Maybe we draft them, hopefully we sign some quality guys; either way we gotta get it taken care of.

IF HARVIN LEAVES....
It's a scary but very plausible situation that may occur. If he does get out of dodge then I reckon Wright will step up and really show his value to the team and that specific position. At the same time, that will leave 2 other receiver positions open that we really don't have the pieces for at this point in time.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Re: If the season ended today

Post by Hunter Morrow »

My thought for this game was...

"Wow, we look like doo doo without Winfield and he ain't getting any younger."
Oakdale63
Backup

Post by Oakdale63 »

That's true, I feel like that our rookie corner will step up to his starting role with time, though.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Hunter Morrow wrote:My thought for this game was...

"Wow, we look like doo doo without Winfield and he ain't getting any younger."
Really makes it seem like CB is the most important position in the draft for the Vikings. The Vikings depth at CB might be just as bad as their depth at WR.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Cliff wrote: Really makes it seem like CB is the most important position in the draft for the Vikings. The Vikings depth at CB might be just as bad as their depth at WR.
It's interesting that two extremely important needs for the team both have to do with the passing game.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Vikings pick WR/CB or CB/WR in R1 and R2 in the next draft.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Bump this thread next Sunday. At that time I'll be ready to talk about next season. :wink: :lol:

Good point.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

At least start getting Griffen in more. Not only for Robison, but for Allen. Already had to hear the injury excuse once, and they never seem to give him a breather.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Emersom Biggums (no, I'm not letting it go) is disruptive every time he is in. Just O-Lines have nothing to do against him. Very limited action and 8 sacks? He'd be a 12+ starting on most of the teams in the league. Gotta use him more.
FailedtoOpen
All Pro Elite Player

Post by FailedtoOpen »

Hunter Morrow wrote:Emersom Biggums (no, I'm not letting it go) is disruptive every time he is in. Just O-Lines have nothing to do against him. Very limited action and 8 sacks? He'd be a 12+ starting on most of the teams in the league. Gotta use him more.
He brings a totally different dimension than either Robison, or Allen. The only reason he probably doesn't get the start time is he may not fit into how the OL works. I believe the Vikings started doing more subbing this season on the DE, but from the past its really been all Allen and all Robison most the game.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:Bump this thread next Sunday. At that time I'll be ready to talk about next season. :wink: :lol:
Bump this thread Feb 4th. I'm not giving up so easy. :v):
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966