Vikings VS Packers Predictions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings VS Packers Predictions

Post by Raptorman »

Purple bruise wrote:How great would it have been to have a healthy Harvin going into this crucial game. What a difference maker he is. That really sucks :cry:
As much as I would like Harvin on the field. I have to think that him being off the field for the past few weeks has helped in the (dare I say it?) "development" of Ponder. Ponder no longer has that go to guy in Harvin so he has to look elsewhere. While disappointing, if may turn out better in the long run. But hey, I could be wrong.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Raptorman wrote: As much as I would like Harvin on the field. I have to think that him being off the field for the past few weeks has helped in the (dare I say it?) "development" of Ponder. Ponder no longer has that go to guy in Harvin so he has to look elsewhere. While disappointing, if may turn out better in the long run. But hey, I could be wrong.
I agree with you, but not for the development of Ponder. I'm not sure what exactly Ponder needs to become a good QB, but I think it's no longer 'development'. He's a bit of a head case and needs to play more consistently. What I think the absence of Harvin has forced Musgrave and the Vikings to do is rely more on the resources that they do have. The offense failed to develop when Harvin was on the field and the passing game became far too predictable.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Eli wrote: I agree with you, but not for the development of Ponder. I'm not sure what exactly Ponder needs to become a good QB, but I think it's no longer 'development'. He's a bit of a head case and needs to play more consistently. What I think the absence of Harvin has forced Musgrave and the Vikings to do is rely more on the resources that they do have. The offense failed to develop when Harvin was on the field and the passing game became far too predictable.
i'm inclined to agree with this. although it's not clear to me how much of relying on Harvin rests with Ponder vs Musgrave. It's the QB who ultimately decides where the ball is thrown. But it's true without Harvin they've had to make other things happen...and they have to some degree.

I totally agree that Ponder has some legitimate mental/confidence issues that are totally up to him as far as over coming. He just looks scared at times.
FailedtoOpen
All Pro Elite Player

Post by FailedtoOpen »

Eli wrote: I agree with you, but not for the development of Ponder. I'm not sure what exactly Ponder needs to become a good QB, but I think it's no longer 'development'. He's a bit of a head case and needs to play more consistently. What I think the absence of Harvin has forced Musgrave and the Vikings to do is rely more on the resources that they do have. The offense failed to develop when Harvin was on the field and the passing game became far too predictable.
While I agree that Ponder gets rattled very easily you have to also look at it from the perspective that confidence is a two way street. You need to have confidence in yourself to make the throws, but also confidence in your receivers to make a play on the ball, or to be in the right spot at the right time.

The confidence isn't just an aspect of himself but extends to the receivers that really don't gel very well with Ponder.
viking_guy
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by viking_guy »

The game is going to be like a playoff game for us. For that reason, I think the Vikings will want it more than the Packers. Plus being a home game gives the nod to our Vikes. Final score will be something like 34-24, and with the win the Vikings secure a wild card spot :rock:
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Last game of the season. I predicted in 3 different threads that we would win 9 or 10 games. I said that we would be in the playoff hunt the final game of the season. Knowing this teams history, it would be easy to say we choke away our playoff opportunity. However, I have not and will not predict a loss. I think we start feeding AD early and continue to do so all game. AD will break the NFL rush record, he will score 2 touchdowns and we will beat the Packers in the dome. We will then go on to play them in Green Bay next weekend. I believe that all of the pieces have fallen into place for us to make a deep playoff run. Vikings build a 17 point lead going into the half and the Packers pull some of their starters. We win the game 34-20.
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

I only see the Packers pulling starters if

a) we have a 17+ point lead over them
b) SF is blowing out AZ and it's clear they're going to win
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
TheCoolerOne
Transition Player

Post by TheCoolerOne »

Orion wrote:I only see the Packers pulling starters if

a) we have a 17+ point lead over them
b) SF is blowing out AZ and it's clear they're going to win
Option B doesn't make a difference. Like us, the Packers control their own destiny for the #2 seed. Win and they get it.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Woodson out Sunday, lessens the chance of holding flags, wait, they rarely flag him anyways.
This space available for rent.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Defensive Holding Penalties on the Green Bay Rodgers Commercials? Come on, now.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Packers 45
Vikings 20

People here seem to think only one team is playing on Sunday. The Packers are going to have some say in the outcome of the game, believe it or not. If Rodgers comes into the dome and throws five TD passes, it doesn't matter if Peterson runs for 200 yards, Walsh kicks three 60 yarders, or Ponder has a miraculous 12 out of 20 performance. The Packers will run away from them.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Eli wrote:Packers 45
Vikings 20

People here seem to think only one team is playing on Sunday.
And some seem to think only one defense is playing. :P

I don't think the Vikings defense are the 2000 Ravens defense, but they may have some impact on whether or not the QB throws 5 TD passes or not.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Vikings 20

People here seem to think only one team is playing on Sunday. The Packers are going to have some say in the outcome of the game, believe it or not. If Rodgers comes into the dome and throws five TD passes, it doesn't matter if Peterson runs for 200 yards, Walsh kicks three 60 yarders, or Ponder has a miraculous 12 out of 20 performance. The Packers will run away from them.
You think that the Packers will beat the Vikes, at home, by 25 points. I do not doubt the strong possibility that they lose but not by over three touchdowns and a fg. :?
Last edited by Purple bruise on Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Vikings 20

That seems a bit extreme. But I respect the fact you think the Packers will win. If the Packers score 45, MANY things went wrong for the Vikes, which I don't think is possible at home. But, it's definitely possible.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Vikings 20

People are just being hopeful and enthusiastic. In other words, Vikings fans on a Vikings board are acting like fans. Surprise! I doubt anybody is completely overlooking the possibility that the Packers could come into the dome and win decisively. IF Rodgers throws 5 TDs, the Vikes will probably lose but IF the Vikings play like they did last week, IF they win the turnover battle, there's a good chance they'll win. I see no more reason to scoff at the optimistic predictions of some Vikes fans than to scoff at your prediction above. Nobody knows how the game will turn out. Yes, the Packers will have a say in the outcome of the game but so will the Vikings, who just won 3 games many didn't believe they could win.

Personally, I'm predicting a Vikes win. I think they will have a good game plan, a high confidence level and will make just enough plays to get the victory they need.