Vikings VS Packers Predictions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings VS Packers Predictions

Post by Raptorman »

When the schedule first came out, somewhere in some forum be it this one or one of the Packer forum I visit, I made the prediction that this game would have playoff ramifications. I really thought it would be the Packers trying to make the playoffs. But I think with all the division games in the last few weeks the NFL had succeeded in what they wanted to accomplish. Meaningful last games of the season.

I will be watching, which can bring up my blood pressure. But I wouldn't miss this game for anything.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

I really don't see a reason the Vikings cannot compete and even win tomorrow. It will be a great game. I am hyped up. Go VIKINGS!!!
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

Anyone else have trouble sleeping the night before big games like these? I can't imagine how it must be for like, Adrian Peterson for tomorrow.
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

It's going to be a good game, and a Viking victory... by four points. Then we play Green Bay at Lambeau... gulp.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

For those of you who feel we have no chance tomorrow(today) Here's a little something I put together for one of the Packer forums when one of the Packer fans was declaring their defense superior to the Vikings based on yard given up and points given up.
raptorman wrote:Here's a few stats for you. Last year the Packers were 32 in total defense(yards), but they only gave up 22.4 points per game. This year they are currently ranked 10th total defense(yards) but have only given up 19.9 points per game. At 2.5 per game improvement. The Vikings last year were ranked 21st in total defense(yards) but gave up 28.1 points per game. This year the Vikings are currently ranked 16th in total defense(yards) but have only given up 20.9 points per game. For an improvement of 7.2 points per game. The total difference in points per game between the two teams amounts to 15 points on the year. Or 1 point per game. Packers have given up 32 (11 rushing, 21 passing) TD's on the year. The Vikings have given up 34 (10 rushing, 24 passing) TD's on the year.

As to your total yards BS. The Packer have given up 4944 yards on 976 defensive plays for a rate of 5.11 yards per play. The Vikings have given up 5194.5 yards on 1022 plays for and average of 5.08 yards per play. Had the Vikings only had 976 defensive plays they would have given up only 4915 yards compared to the Packers 4944 yards.

And here's one more thing for you. The 8 common games, Houston, Indy, Jacksonville, Tennessee, San Fran, Seattle, Arizona, and St. Louis. Packer gave up an average of 21.38 points per game. Vikings, 17.25. Non common common games. Skins, Giant, Tampa and Saints. Packers 32.5, Vikings 37. And division games not including the Packer-Viking game. Packer 14.75, Vikings 19.75. Against the 4(5 for Vikings including the Packers) teams we know are in the playoffs at this point. Packers defense has given up 22 points per game, Vikings, 19. So that give you a little idea of were the points are being scored.

So don't sit there and crow about how much better the Packers defense is based on one or two figures. Yards given up and points scored. Fact is both defenses are better than last year.

All stats taken from NFL.com. Total yardage stats are per game stats multiplied by total number of games.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Great stuff from Tom Powers' column today:

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_222 ... down-dream
As a seasoned observer, I can tell you what the two groups are thinking. Packer fans are fascinating because they can't lose -- even if they lose. On the rare occasion when their team gets pummeled, they simply wrap themselves in the past. Even if you beat this Packer team, you can't beat all those other Packer teams. And they are quick to throw out "13 championships!" as if that means an automatic end to any discussion.

It's all yesterday's cornflakes, of course. None of that old news matters right now. But it is a lovely fallback position and allows Packer fans to absorb any sort of defeat without too much despair. They mentally float off to Lombardiville.

Vikings fans, well, I can tell you exactly what they are thinking as we approach kickoff:

"I hope Christian Ponder doesn't screw up."

"Just our luck if Adrian Peterson's injury gives him trouble."

"Geez, Antoine Winfield's hand better be OK."

It's different with them because their fallback position is pure misery. Plus, they are enveloped in football fatalism and are sure something bad will happen before it's all over. Usually, they are right.
LOL! There's so much truth in that...
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:Great stuff from Tom Powers' column today:

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_222 ... down-dream
LOL! There's so much truth in that...
I was just thinking about that today. I refuse to get my hopes up for today or this season if they manage to get in. They've already exceeded my expectations for this year, so the rest is gravy. I know if I let myself think "What if..." or "You know, they have a chance to..." they will let me down and I will be a surly bit ch. They are dangerously close to forcing me to think "Maybe this is the year..." And I hate them for that. Even though I love it.

Being a Vikings fan is perpetually waiting for the other shoe to drop. Or being in a difficult marriage that you've committed too many years to quit. Despite all the heartache you love them too much. We know there will be pain. Maybe we're all sadists.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mossbutt
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mossbutt »

Alan Williams will see too it that Mr Rodgers neighborhood stays full of purple projectiles creating panic and the crowd will roar and the creature Peterson will tear off some doozies and i have a long drive to the airport so will miss most of this game and naturally Da Vikes will win because of my unselfish sacrifice to the cause of the pillage of the Pack. Vikes 23 Packers 17
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

Thank Odin were being shown on t.v over here in the u.k i'm sick of watching us on my laptop on gamepass.
Prediction 8-7 Vikings
Rodeo Jared Allen with 4 safeties, and Rodgers finally comes out of the closet by proposing to Jennings after the game.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

I think we get it done today. The will of AD will be hard to overcome. The play action pass should be extra effective today as the Packers will really be keyed up to stop AD. The crowd will be unbelievable today. And nobody thinks we can win this game outside of Cris Carter.

Vikings 24
Packers 17
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

soflavike wrote:It's going to be a good game, and a Viking victory... by four points. Then we play Green Bay at Lambeau... gulp.
Look at it this way, how hilarious would it be if we did that. Vikings fans would have huge bragging rights until this time next year.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Prediction: Vikes 30, Pack 24

Vikes get up early, then in Vikings fashion, its a nail biter till the end with Rodgers throwing incomplete while in the red zone on 4th down
w_huisman
Transition Player

Post by w_huisman »

UKno1VIKING wrote:....Prediction 8-7 Vikings
Rodeo Jared Allen with 4 safeties, and Rodgers finally comes out of the closet by proposing to Jennings after the game.
:rofl: This is my favorite prediction so far!

Vikes win, 34 - 28

SKOL! :smilevike: :smilevike:
Sinatra
Starter

Post by Sinatra »

I was completely wrong. Great win guys.

All you really did was screw your draft position. You'll get pounded next week. No way you beat the Packers two weeks in a row.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Sinatra wrote:I was completely wrong. Great win guys.

All you really did was screw your draft position. You'll get pounded next week. No way you beat the Packers two weeks in a row.
Eat testicles. No way we should've been in the playoffs either. See you next week.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly