The Master "Lets get X Player" for the Vikings Next Year

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

The Master "Lets get X Player" for the Vikings Next Year

Post by S197 »

Rather than have a new thread on every new player to replace Ponder, the receivers, LB's, etc.. lets consolidate and put it in here. I think we did something similar in years past. If they are not a member of the Vikings right now or there is not significant rumors of any sort of deal being done, it belongs here and not in a new thread.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: The Master "Lets get X Player" for the Vikings Next Year

Post by Eli »

Pretty sure the other thread was about getting player X for this year.

Whatever. You can't have too many threads.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Well, I guess I'll start. Mike Wallace. We need outside receiver help badly. Wallace has a higher YPC than Bowe, has nearly as many TDs (30) in 4 years as Bowe (39) in 6 (granted QB play is a factor). He's also two years younger. While Wallace held out, I've also read some scouts grade Bowe as a No. 2 receiver, and there have been questions about his work ethic, leadership and conditioning so it's fair to wonder if his play falls off once he gets paid (the same worry is with Wallace too, of course). I think Pittsburgh is going to have a hard time slapping the franchise tag on Wallace, though, due to their financial situation.

Unfortunately I think this is simply wishful thinking with Harvin's contract come due. No NFL team has two receivers with contracts averaging at least $6 million per year and last I checked Wallace was seeking upwards of $11 million/year over five years.
Last edited by dead_poet on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
danewone
Practice Squad

Post by danewone »

now that percy is out and small chance of him staying even for next year wthell is next now? ponder is pretty much toasted all other wr are pretty much dead. wtf!!!!! this sucks.
AD + Vikings = Image
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Looking at the list of free agents next year and it doesn't look very good. Pretty much Greg Jennings or Mike Wallace, both receivers. Other than that don't really see anyone worth getting.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

808vikingsfan wrote:what WR in their right mind would sign with the Vikings.
One that sees how much they pay for a worthless, free agent TE. $$ is a pretty good influencer.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Vikefan68
Transition Player

Post by Vikefan68 »

I am part serious and part joking but why not bring in Tebow? Despite the flack he gets for not being a true QB, he has proven to find ways to win and this team has always lacked a true winner. Also, at this point he can't be any worse than Ponder and the fact he has played with Percy could be an X-Factor. You have Ponder and Tebow battle for the starting spot and draft another QB for development.

Flame me away :)
smoothoperator
Transition Player

Post by smoothoperator »

tebow? really...ponder is and will be better than him. tebow proved he could win games completing two passes and relying on mcgahee and the defense. if you complain about ponder now, just wait until you see tebow play. although, i am really hoping you were joking!
Vikefan68
Transition Player

Post by Vikefan68 »

smoothoperator wrote:tebow? really...ponder is and will be better than him. tebow proved he could win games completing two passes and relying on mcgahee and the defense. if you complain about ponder now, just wait until you see tebow play. although, i am really hoping you were joking!
Part of it was in jest and the other part was like hmmmmm....him, AD and Harvin in the backfield. not like we have any other WRs that can catch anything besides a cold, so we might as well just run 75% of the time.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Vikefan68 wrote:Part of it was in jest and the other part was like hmmmmm....him, AD and Harvin in the backfield. not like we have any other WRs that can catch anything besides a cold, so we might as well just run 75% of the time.
I understand the thought but I don't think it would work very well in the long term. The better (though probably more difficult) solution is to get some WRs that can catch more than a cold and have a QB capable of throwing to them effectively a little more than 25% of the time.

Jim
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

mondry wrote:Looking at the list of free agents next year and it doesn't look very good. Pretty much Greg Jennings or Mike Wallace, both receivers. Other than that don't really see anyone worth getting.
I've been thinking the same thing about the free agency and WRs. However, DP's point is valid about Harvin's contract coming due and how unlikely a scenario would be that the Vikings would expend massive cap room for just two WRs.

So, should the Vikings should look to draft at least two WRs and maybe sign a good but not great one from the free agency?
Mothman wrote: I understand the thought but I don't think it would work very well in the long term. The better (though probably more difficult) solution is to get some WRs that can catch more than a cold and have a QB capable of throwing to them effectively a little more than 25% of the time.
And what makes you think the current WRs could catch a cold? :D
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

This is just a guess, but I would not be suprised if the vikings Franchise Harvin. It is in their interest to nip his issues in the bud.

They need a big time WR. However, I'd like to see them bring in a vetearn backup QB. Matt Moore or Jason Cambell could both be enough for this team to win some games. Neither are flashy, but we already have AP for flash.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
smoothoperator
Transition Player

Post by smoothoperator »

campbell is worse than ponder, did you see him play for chicago? maybe if he took some snaps and got more practice in but i highly doubt he would ever be a better option. i would not oppose moore coming in as a backup to compete with ponder, i think we need to light a fire under him and see what he does about it.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:And what makes you think the current WRs could catch a cold? :D
LOL! I'm a dreamer!
mansquatch wrote:This is just a guess, but I would not be suprised if the vikings Franchise Harvin. It is in their interest to nip his issues in the bud.
If they can't negotiate a new deal with him in 2013 I could see them doing that but there's no need to place a franchise tag on him until 2014
Last edited by Mothman on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

losperros wrote:
I've been thinking the same thing about the free agency and WRs. However, DP's point is valid about Harvin's contract coming due and how unlikely a scenario would be that the Vikings would expend massive cap room for just two WRs.

So, should the Vikings should look to draft at least two WRs and maybe sign a good but not great one from the free agency?
If anyone, it'd have to be Bowe then and he's still going to fetch a decent deal. The WR's after that are either slot guys like wes welker, or guys who won't do much on the Vikings like josh cribbs or ogeltree.

I would say they should very well be considering drafting one with the 1st or 2nd pick this year, then perhaps look at TE in FA. Jared Cook would be a nice addition if they could get him away from TEN, he's similar to rudolph in size, but maybe I'm just dreaming there. Musgrave's 2 TE set offense may be dead anyway or maybe we just need someone better than carleson to pull it off.