View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Call me crazy: I see Chris Cook having a Pro Bowl appearance 
Veteran

Post Call me crazy: I see Chris Cook having a Pro Bowl appearance
sometime in his young career. Seriously, this kid did work covering Megatron and Larry Fitzgerald, granted, Johnson did score on him at the end of the game but who can seriously cover his overtime reception that led to a FG win? IF he stays healthy and continues his progression, I see a high ceiling for him :smilevike: .

Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:46 am
Hall of Famer

Post Re: Call me crazy: I see Chris Cook having a Pro Bowl appear
I don't think your crazy. The kid has been playing well. I hope it continues. If you'd have told me last year that our corner play would be strong this year, I wouldn't have believed it. :lol:

Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:18 am
Hall of Famer

Youre crazy.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:25 am
Commissioner

He won't make Pro Bowl, but he is playing very well. I hope he can keep it up. He seems to be a little inconsistent.

Purple Pride till I die!

Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:38 am
Profile YIM WWW
Franchise Player

For a second year player that barely played his rookie season, he has definitely made significant progress. It is a little too early to tell if he will become a Pro Bowl appearance but I do believe he is on his way to being a solid starting CB. I think he will only get better as the season progresses and surprisingly, our DB play has been solid so far.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:48 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

Wrong Chris. Chris Kluwe could make the Pro Bowl. Peterson could make it. Allen has a forced fumble, an interception and 8.5 sacks and he's a fan favorite. I think he'll make it. And.... That is about it. Maybe 3 people.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:48 am
Transition Player

cook is looking great this year, most of the big passing plays are on griffin, he looks pretty bad this year.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:51 am
All Pro Elite Player

I sort of gave up on him at some point last year into this summer, but I think he's coming along strong. He's doing what he was seemingly brought here to do, and that's cover the giants. He might end up as the best giant corner in the league at some point. Cook, Jared, and others are playing well individually which is why I think many posters doom and gloom statement about how awful the entire team is is unfounded and they'll regret those words. I said from the beginning the team is improving considerably from last year, but is overshadowed by the perfectly mediocre play of our QB which nullifies the receivers and gives us losses. I'm happy Cook is panning out especially after all the gushing over Ted Thompson's drafts. I thought Gerhart and Cook were great picks last year.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:22 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

In fairness to the O.P., he didn't say Cook would make the Pro Bowl THIS year. He said "sometime in his young career."

In fairness to Cook, Megatron's overtime reception to set up the game-winning field goal was against Cedric Griffin, not Cook.

It's hard to see him making it this year, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for Chris Cook to make a Pro Bowl or two at some point in his career. He's certainly got all the tools, so it all comes down to how hard he's willing to work at his game and whether he can stay healthy. Right now, he sure looks like a guy who will help the Vikings more and more as time goes on.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:23 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I've been very happy and surprised with his progress this year.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:49 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

Put down the Jameson.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:57 am
Hall of Famer

The original OP statement is that Chris Cook will eventually make the Pro Bowl. I agree with that.

Cook played well for Virginia. It's nice to see his skills develop at a pro level. If he keeps improving at his current pace, I see this guy as being one heck of a corner within the near future.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:58 am
Hall of Famer

I have been as big of a Chris Cook critic as anyone. I am very happy to see him playing well. In all honestly, he needs to be on the outside and we need to move Griffin inside. Griffin just is not the same after those devastating injuries.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:35 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Youre right about Cedric, he just hasnt looked the same at all. He looks like hes getting pushed around out there, and thats never been his problem.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:57 pm
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
In fairness to Cook, Megatron's overtime reception to set up the game-winning field goal was against Cedric Griffin, not Cook.

True. Although Johnson's first TD catch in the second half was against Cook and the play looked very similar to the overtime reception. Cook had decent position, it's just Megatron is Megatron....

Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:04 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

S197 wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:

True. Although Johnson's first TD catch in the second half was against Cook and the play looked very similar to the overtime reception. Cook had decent position, it's just Megatron is Megatron....

Yeah, Cook actually had a fine game against Detroit EXCEPT for the TD. On that play, I really thought he would be able to break it up. He was there in position, as you said, but Megatron was just too much to handle.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:21 pm
Defensive Tackle

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Yeah, Cook actually had a fine game against Detroit EXCEPT for the TD. On that play, I really thought he would be able to break it up. He was there in position, as you said, but Megatron was just too much to handle.

Didn't Stafford under throw that one too? Those "back shoulder" passes seem particularly tough for CBs to defend.

Jim

Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:31 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Famer

a draft pick actually working out for us at Corner back dare to dream :point:

Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:42 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Mothman wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:

Didn't Stafford under throw that one too? Those "back shoulder" passes seem particularly tough for CBs to defend.

Jim

He certainly did. In fact, I just watched video of that play this morning ... Cook was probably about a full yard AHEAD of Johnson at the goal line. Johnson was able to plant the foot and react to the ball a fraction ahead of Cook. Plus Johnson is 6-5 and jumps like a kangaroo.

I see Chris Cook playing with more and more confidence each week. His size and length make him particularly tough, and he's getting excellent position. Really happy to finally have a corner we can be excited about.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:43 pm
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Mothman wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:

Jim

He certainly did. In fact, I just watched video of that play this morning ... Cook was probably about a full yard AHEAD of Johnson at the goal line. Johnson was able to plant the foot and react to the ball a fraction ahead of Cook. Plus Johnson is 6-5 and jumps like a kangaroo.

I see Chris Cook playing with more and more confidence each week. His size and length make him particularly tough, and he's getting excellent position. Really happy to finally have a corner we can be excited about.

+1. It seems like...well, I guess it is...years since we've had a Carl Lee type playing corner for us...

Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:42 pm
All Pro Elite Player

I'd like to see a huge shuffle of our DBs this off season. Winfield at safety isn't such a crazy idea anymore, especially with the way our safeties tackle and honestly Winfield isn't amazing in coverage. With Cook showing that he can cover/ break up passes and Cedric still playing at a decent level (and Sherels having some time of pre season success) the loss of Winfield at CB wouldn't be so great.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:42 pm
Hall of Famer

Krulik wrote:
Youre right about Cedric, he just hasnt looked the same at all. He looks like hes getting pushed around out there, and thats never been his problem.

Ha ha I was thinking I would never see you post again!

Anyway, It is sad to see. The guy had potential and really turned it on for us in 2009.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:41 pm
Career Elite Player

There wasn't much Cook could do on that play, he was in good position, the ball was thrown exactly where it needed to be. Both Megatron and Stafford made a great play on that one. I'm not going to fault a guy for getting beat like that. Definitely in the "sometimes the other guys make plays too" category.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:33 pm
Career Elite Player

Winfield will never play safety. Get over it rube nation

Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]