Percy Harvin Kickoff Returns

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Should Percy be the primary KO Returner?

Yes
71%
No
29%
Undecided
No votes

Total votes: 38

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Percy Harvin Kickoff Returns

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Without getting into pissing matches, I am curious about what everyone's opinions are as far as Percy returning kicks (Kickoffs, not punts).

IMO, I think he should be the primary KO returner because whenever he does it is electric. Even when he doesn't score, it seems he is just one tackle away from breaking it. If you look at Percy Harvin Kickoff Returns on YouTube (or Percy Harvin Highlights), it is easy to see that there are not many players better than him at returns.

What do you all think?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
losperros
Commissioner

Re: Percy Harvin Kickoff Returns

Post by losperros »

I'm voting yes simply because Harvin is darn good at returning kicks, which helps the team.
Last edited by losperros on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

I'm voting no. The reason is that I believe he is more valuable as an offensive threat and I believe that KO return duty would shorten his career and effectiveness with the offense. Hester is a singular return talent, and I'd love to have a Hester-clone with the Vikings, but Harvin isn't him. What he adds to the offense is far more vital, IMO.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

BGM wrote:I'm voting no. The reason is that I believe he is more valuable as an offensive threat and I believe that KO return duty would shorten his career and effectiveness with the offense. Hester is a singular return talent, and I'd love to have a Hester-clone with the Vikings, but Harvin isn't him. What he adds to the offense is far more vital, IMO.
You idiot!

Just kiddig. I totally get that angle. What about when the team needs a spark, like if they are down by 4 with 45 secods left to GB or something? Kind of like "spot duty" KO Returns?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

PurpleMustReign wrote: You idiot!

Just kiddig. I totally get that angle. What about when the team needs a spark, like if they are down by 4 with 45 secods left to GB or something? Kind of like "spot duty" KO Returns?
I honestly still say no. The force at which ST players collide and the angles they hit seem tailor-made to increase the chance of injury. Of course, I have no hard data with which to support that position, but those hits, even in limited action, take their toll. There are other players with speed and agility who could help provide that spark as well, and if that is the goal, why not have AD return kicks? :wink:
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

As awesome and explosive he is he needs to be out there every play on offense but if they need him in the 4th or die of need situations I think you put him back there.
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

I say yes. Not the primary KR ... the only KR. I want to see him on the field for every kickoff that the Vikings take.

Two things:

1. How many kickoffs are even returnable any more? If he takes some big chances and brings out anything less than 8 yards deep, I would guess less than half of them.

2. The Vikings are unlikely to be a scoring juggernaut for the foreseeable future. Which mean they'll see fewer kickoffs than the average team would.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote: You idiot!

That's what I'd favor. I think he should be used as a KO returner, just not as the primary KO returner. I think that would take too much out of him over the course of a season and, as Brian said, he's too vital to the offense to do that. I'd use him strategically during the regular season and make him the primary returner in playoff games.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Eli wrote:2. The Vikings are unlikely to be a scoring juggernaut for the foreseeable future. Which mean they'll see fewer kickoffs than the average team would.
Wouldn't number of kickoffs seen relate to the defense not the offense?
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I have been pushing for Harvin to the be main KR for a long time. He is simply too dangerous to not have return kicks.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Unless one of the rookies, or ST guys, can prove they are better, ofc he should. Hes one of the best at it.
radar55
All Pro Elite Player

Post by radar55 »

Should he be back there........absolutely........ but only on K/O's where he has a little extra time to field the ball cleanly and to see a seam that he feels he can take advantage of by returning it. If the ball is kicked into the end zone and he does'nt see anything then there is no risk of injury and we get the ball at the 20 but....... how often do we hear "this is a game of field position"?

IMO Having Harvin returning K/O's would certainly give the offense improved field position to start drives and that improved field position could be the difference between scoring points and punting the ball away.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

glg wrote: Wouldn't number of kickoffs seen relate to the defense not the offense?
Doh!! Maybe _more_ than the average team. :oops:
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I'm all for having him back there. I understand the wear and tear\injury POV....but I think the risk is overblown. In fact, i'm of the opinion that the guys getting hurt on returns are rarely the ball carriers. It's usually guys getting hit while they're looking elsewhere. Can't even remember the last time I saw a guy get hurt on a kickoff and it was the return man.
I do think it would add some wear and tear...but if the guy is only seeing 50% of the offensive snaps in the first place then use him back there. He's a threat to go for 6 every time. Hester is the only guy better IMO
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

The Breeze wrote:I'm all for having him back there. I understand the wear and tear\injury POV....but I think the risk is overblown. In fact, i'm of the opinion that the guys getting hurt on returns are rarely the ball carriers. It's usually guys getting hit while they're looking elsewhere. Can't even remember the last time I saw a guy get hurt on a kickoff and it was the return man.
I do think it would add some wear and tear...but if the guy is only seeing 50% of the offensive snaps in the first place then use him back there. He's a threat to go for 6 every time. Hester is the only guy better IMO

I agree with you too but I think Patrick Peterson is actually better than Hester and Percy at the return game.
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.