How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

How do you feel about Christian Ponder as our QB

Excited. You are familiar with Ponder so you feel good about him.
11%
Excited. You don't know him that well but think he might have that "something" and/or you trust Spielman's track record in the 1st round.
15%
Good. You don't know a lot, but feel Musgrave and Frazier will mold him into a top guy.
21%
Lukewarm. You are familiar with Ponder so feel things could go either way.
11%
Completely neutral and without judgment. Are able to emotionally detach yourself from the most important position on our team.
11%
Lukewarm. The more you find out makes you less and less excited about his play and durability.
1%
Inconsequential. Injuries, circumstance, free agency, or the play of Webb will keep Ponder's playing time minimal so he'll never become our "guy" anyway.
1%
Disappointed. Wished we picked somebody else and need time to get over it.
15%
Upset. Feel things won't work out with Ponder and it'll take several seasons before we finally move on to someone else.
14%

Total votes: 73

OJVIKE
Career Elite Player

Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?

Post by OJVIKE »

GoldenBear91 wrote: Trent Dilfer = ok and a superbowl.
won by the defense.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

ponder has all the tools. mobile, smart, accurate, good decison maker. i'm a little happy we didnt get another statue like mallet behind center. dalton seems like he doesnt panic as much in the pocket when things break down and in the 4th quarter like ponder tends to do..... but overall i like what ponder brings more.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

hibbingviking wrote:ponder has all the tools. mobile, smart, accurate, good decison maker. i'm a little happy we didnt get another statue like mallet behind center. dalton seems like he doesnt panic as much in the pocket when things break down and in the 4th quarter like ponder tends to do..... but overall i like what ponder brings more.
Pocket issues can be repaired, my biggest concern, that arm, will it be an ongoing issue.
This space available for rent.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

PurpleHalo wrote: Pocket issues can be repaired, my biggest concern, that arm, will it be an ongoing issue.
arm strength can be improved. tom bradys arm strength is better than what it was when he was a rookie. dalton doesnt have a cannon either. neither did drew brees, or brad johnson and they won superbowls. rich gannon didnt either.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

Turtle Burger wrote:I like the pick a lot. Ponder seems like the polar opposite of Jamarcus Russell to me: not the biggest arm in the world but he's accurate, athletic, smart, and he's got an unbelievable work ethic. I just can't imagine someone who works and studies as hard as Ponder does being a bust.
i'm kind of glad we didnt mortgage our future with kevin kolb. kolb hasnt done anything spectacular.
i feel more sure about ponder than cam newton. cam newton better be more productive than clausen in preseason. i have a feeling that newton is more interested in endorsemants and reality shows. :confused:
Delaqure
Franchise Player

Post by Delaqure »

Sooooo..... much speculation! The truth is we don't know how he will be.
If he is successful those who said he would be good can say "I told you so!"
If he is a bust then those who said so can say "I told you so and Spielman needs to be fired!"

I like him because of what I have heard about his habits and intelligence. I could care less about rocket arms. Too many qbs have been chose because of those rocket arms only to turn out to be a bust. What makes a good QB is not how far or hard he can throw. His ability to read defenses, his work ethic and leadership and accuracy are what makes a good qb. Does Ponder have all of that? Apparently on paper. Whether or not that translates to the field remains to be seen. I for one am jacked!
Solely because we actually got someone who has REAL potential and not someone who is a "project" that might be someday with a lot of coaching could possibly be maybe a good quarterback.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

hibbingviking wrote: arm strength can be improved. tom bradys arm strength is better than what it was when he was a rookie. dalton doesnt have a cannon either. neither did drew brees, or brad johnson and they won superbowls. rich gannon didnt either.
No I meant the injury, when he's healthy he has more arm strength than people give him credit for.
This space available for rent.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

ponder supposedly has a stronger arm than andy dalton when healthy. :confused: this 2-3 months off may be exactly what he needs to get healthy and strong.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

The only knock on his arm strength is that he didn't have ELITE arm strength. He has what we all have wanted for years. Intelligence, Leadership (the most important trait) Good athleticism and accuracy, how could there be a better pick for our "system" Which we don't even know what it is yet with the whole new coaching staff. All those panicking are being silly.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

dkoby wrote:The only knock on his arm strength is that he didn't have ELITE arm strength. He has what we all have wanted for years. Intelligence, Leadership (the most important trait) Good athleticism and accuracy, how could there be a better pick for our "system" Which we don't even know what it is yet with the whole new coaching staff. All those panicking are being silly.

:thumbsup:

we havent had a smart, accurate, mobile, young, qb in a long time. he will have tons of time to study that playbook before the season starts. he reminds me of a more mobile brad johnson.