How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

How do you feel about Christian Ponder as our QB

Excited. You are familiar with Ponder so you feel good about him.
11%
Excited. You don't know him that well but think he might have that "something" and/or you trust Spielman's track record in the 1st round.
15%
Good. You don't know a lot, but feel Musgrave and Frazier will mold him into a top guy.
21%
Lukewarm. You are familiar with Ponder so feel things could go either way.
11%
Completely neutral and without judgment. Are able to emotionally detach yourself from the most important position on our team.
11%
Lukewarm. The more you find out makes you less and less excited about his play and durability.
1%
Inconsequential. Injuries, circumstance, free agency, or the play of Webb will keep Ponder's playing time minimal so he'll never become our "guy" anyway.
1%
Disappointed. Wished we picked somebody else and need time to get over it.
15%
Upset. Feel things won't work out with Ponder and it'll take several seasons before we finally move on to someone else.
14%

Total votes: 73

Laserman
Hall of Famer

Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?

Post by Laserman »

purple guy wrote:

Deal with it???? I said I liked the pick?
I was agreeing with you Man. I was asking OTHERS to have paitience with the pick.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

ponder has a high IQ and is pretty mobile. i dont think he will be a superstar but he may be a mark brunnell, rich gannon type qb. musgrave develops qb's amd has qb friendly system. i wish we would have gotten him in the 2nd round, but maybe we can get a veteran qb to help out. :confused: we can still get a corner or pass rusher in free agency.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

cam newton, gabbert, and mallett were the highest rated qb's in the draft. ponder, and dalton were the second tier qb's. some like dalton better than ponder and some like ponder better than dalton. locker was also rated a second round qb my most people. ponder is a good qb, not a first rounder however, but he may end up being a pretty decent qb. one or two of the qb's should be something special.......no one really knows who. :confused: i dont trust cam newton at all. there is something i dont like about him, and he also doesnt seem very intelligent IMO.
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

BGM wrote:It would have made sense in the second round, considering the talent pool in this year's draft. Had there been three QBs who were far and away the pick of the litter and then a bunch of dregs aside from that, then sure, you have to pull the trigger. But, I did not feel that way about this group. For me, Locker was the best prospect, then close behind him the group of Gabbert, Kaepernick, Mallett, Dalton, and Ponder. One of those last five was sure to make it to pick 43, IMO. Any of those guys at 43 would have made sense to me. Ponder at 12 does not.
You make a good point here, Brian. I am excited for Ponder mainly because it is a new direction and a pick at a position of dire need early and with conviction by team leadership. But I do have wonderment in the back of my head of why Ponder was the "choice" at #12 when McCoy lasted until #85 last year. I don't study college football, but I don't see the upside of a Ponder when you compare it to a McCoy in terms of one being 73 picks better in terms of value. At the same time, I am certain he will lead the Vikings to the Super Bowl in 2012 and start the parade into the new stadium in 2015.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

the vikings got scared that ponder wouldnt be there in the second round. musgrave also must have felt that ponder is a student of the game and can be developed like he did with matt ryan and matt schaub.
Turtle Burger
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Turtle Burger »

I like the pick a lot. Ponder seems like the polar opposite of Jamarcus Russell to me: not the biggest arm in the world but he's accurate, athletic, smart, and he's got an unbelievable work ethic. I just can't imagine someone who works and studies as hard as Ponder does being a bust.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

ponder wont be a bust. he's smart and has a good work ethic unlike ryan leaf, akili smith, and jamarcus russell. cant say the same about cam newton.
TrenchGoon
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by TrenchGoon »

BGM wrote: It would have made sense in the second round, considering the talent pool in this year's draft. Had there been three QBs who were far and away the pick of the litter and then a bunch of dregs aside from that, then sure, you have to pull the trigger. But, I did not feel that way about this group. For me, Locker was the best prospect, then close behind him the group of Gabbert, Kaepernick, Mallett, Dalton, and Ponder. One of those last five was sure to make it to pick 43, IMO. Any of those guys at 43 would have made sense to me. Ponder at 12 does not.

Obviously, my views on these guys do not line up with the Vikings' assessments, so I should have some faith in their choice. It just pained me to see some really top notch talent fall to other teams because the Vikings had a laser focus on QB.
I respect your point of view BGM, however I have a much lower opinion of Dalton, Kaepernick (major longshot), Mallett, etc. I really believe we got the best qb in the draft with the 12th pick. I give Newton and Locker very low chances for success. Ponder is the guy in my opinion.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

BGM wrote:It would have made sense in the second round, considering the talent pool in this year's draft. Had there been three QBs who were far and away the pick of the litter and then a bunch of dregs aside from that, then sure, you have to pull the trigger. But, I did not feel that way about this group. For me, Locker was the best prospect, then close behind him the group of Gabbert, Kaepernick, Mallett, Dalton, and Ponder. One of those last five was sure to make it to pick 43, IMO. Any of those guys at 43 would have made sense to me. Ponder at 12 does not.
In the end, Mallett was the only who made it that far and clearly, that was due to questions about his character. Maybe he'll turn out to be a good NFL QB (he certainly landed in a good spot) but I think we can understand why the Vikings weren't willing to commit to a player like that as their QB of the future. The way the draft played out illustrates that he would have been the only one of those QBs still available at #43. I also don't know why a team would settle for what they consider a lesser QB if they feel they can get a better one. After all, we're talking about the most important position on the team. If a team feels they've identified the player that's right for them at that position, I think its more than acceptable to grab him, and forget about draft value.
Obviously, my views on these guys do not line up with the Vikings' assessments, so I should have some faith in their choice. It just pained me to see some really top notch talent fall to other teams because the Vikings had a laser focus on QB.
Understandable. It pained me too but I think past moves put them in a desperate situation and they had no choice. They had to come out of this draft with the best QB they could get and I think they tried to do that. We all know the nature of the draft anyway: a couple of those players it pained so many to see the Vikings pass o up could easily be busts. ;) It happens all the time.

Jim
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

One other thing concerns me about betting the farm on Ponder THIS year. The lockout. Maybe he will be the guy, and, truly, now that he has been drafted, I hope he is. But there is going to be a tremendous amount of development time lost due to this god-forsaken lockout. And, that is a tough position into which to throw any new player, much less the guy upon whom you are pegging the hopes of the future of the franchise. So, what my hope is: the coaches saw real potential and a complete package in Ponder that they just could NOT pass up, no matter who else was available. What my fear is: due to years of ignoring the future of the QB position, the Vikings decided to make a selection out of even a small sense of desperation that it was now or never.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

BGM wrote:One other thing concerns me about betting the farm on Ponder THIS year. The lockout. Maybe he will be the guy, and, truly, now that he has been drafted, I hope he is. But there is going to be a tremendous amount of development time lost due to this god-forsaken lockout. And, that is a tough position into which to throw any new player, much less the guy upon whom you are pegging the hopes of the future of the franchise. So, what my hope is: the coaches saw real potential and a complete package in Ponder that they just could NOT pass up, no matter who else was available. What my fear is: due to years of ignoring the future of the QB position, the Vikings decided to make a selection out of even a small sense of desperation that it was now or never.
I think it may be a little of both.

The lockout and the inability to look for veteran help before the draft were almost certainly big contributing factors to this pick but, for the very reasons you stated above, I think we can expect to see the Vikings pursue a veteran QB hard once they're able to do so.

Jim
OJVIKE
Career Elite Player

Post by OJVIKE »

well ponder will do ok....but we need better than ok...lets think about if he starts who will he be throwing to?? will rice be back...will percy have a migrain...our offense is really up in the air now...?? at least he can handoff to ap.
GoldenBear91
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by GoldenBear91 »

I want to at least give props to the Vikings for taking a swing at a QB in the first round. I would have been ticked if they didn't try to get someone. I have been harping on the need ever since Brett came to town. It was a need that could not be ignored. No matter what we are going to give the Vikes crap, especially since most of our analysis can be from the luxury of hindsight being 20/20.

I am very underwhelmed with the pick of Ponder, as many are, but that being said I won't really know what to say until 2014. I will say that Webb is more exciting in my mind, but again it will just be time. May the best QB win and help the Vikings win! :v):
GoldenBear91
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by GoldenBear91 »

OJVIKE wrote:well ponder will do ok....but we need better than ok...lets think about if he starts who will he be throwing to?? will rice be back...will percy have a migrain...our offense is really up in the air now...?? at least he can handoff to ap.
Trent Dilfer = ok and a superbowl.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

hibbingviking wrote:ponder has a high IQ and is pretty mobile. i dont think he will be a superstar but he may be a mark brunnell, rich gannon type qb. musgrave develops qb's amd has qb friendly system. i wish we would have gotten him in the 2nd round, but maybe we can get a veteran qb to help out. :confused: we can still get a corner or pass rusher in free agency.
Keep in mind, Gannon won the NFL MVP in 2002, that's about as super star as you can get in the NFL. Maybe being a media darling helped that some, but scrubs don't win MVP.
Last edited by PurpleHalo on Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This space available for rent.