How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

How do you feel about Christian Ponder as our QB

Excited. You are familiar with Ponder so you feel good about him.
11%
Excited. You don't know him that well but think he might have that "something" and/or you trust Spielman's track record in the 1st round.
15%
Good. You don't know a lot, but feel Musgrave and Frazier will mold him into a top guy.
21%
Lukewarm. You are familiar with Ponder so feel things could go either way.
11%
Completely neutral and without judgment. Are able to emotionally detach yourself from the most important position on our team.
11%
Lukewarm. The more you find out makes you less and less excited about his play and durability.
1%
Inconsequential. Injuries, circumstance, free agency, or the play of Webb will keep Ponder's playing time minimal so he'll never become our "guy" anyway.
1%
Disappointed. Wished we picked somebody else and need time to get over it.
15%
Upset. Feel things won't work out with Ponder and it'll take several seasons before we finally move on to someone else.
14%

Total votes: 73

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: How do you feel about Ponder as our QB?

Post by The Breeze »

Siefert reported that the Vikes were trying to trade up with the Cowboys, but Dallas wanted our second rounder....no deal. Looks like the Vikes wanted Gabbert and when Jville snagged him Ponder became the guy.

Childress' stamp on this team is going to take some time washing off.
TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TeamChaplain »

I am optimistic. Even though I really thought we would pick Prince at #12. Our secondary is in dire need of a face-lift.
From the Fjords of ValHalla
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

glg wrote: Yep, takes two to tango. Ponder was not likely to be there for us at 43. It sounds like he was the guy the Vikes wanted. So, why take the chance? If no trade down 5-10 picks was available, just take him.
I don't believe they tried to trade down 5-10 picks though, I think the most they were trying to get would be 3 spots because they were so worried about washington taking ponder. Of course they didn't find a partner! Oh well though.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

purple guy wrote: Did you see him play many games?? I have actually never watched him play. I like the pick, as we desperately need a QB and like what Ive read and watched about him. Seems to have "IT". Which, outside of Favre, the Vikings QBs have lacked the "it" factor for a long, long time. His toughness and attitude dont seem too far from Locker, Ponder just doesnt seem as durable, which, honestly, could be a huge issue behind this OL!

If you don't mind me jumping in here, Purple Guy, I've seen Ponder play entire games several times and he kicked butt in every single one of them, including dismantling my Florida Gators last year. In my view, Ponder was a heck of a *college* quarterback. I don't know how he'll do as a pro, though I think he'll develop into an exceptional player. I base that not only on his physical skills, which I think are underrated, but because he's a hard worker, extremely intelligent, and a team leader. The trouble is that NO college player is a guaranteed stud or bust. Some players adapt to world of pro ball and some don't, regardless what spot they were drafted at.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

The injury prone tag is overplayed, Sam Bradford has a similar injury and he looks fine to me. Apparently the Vikings smokescreened the league pretty well, I think most thought Dalton was our guy and Washington would have taken Ponder with their pick. So in the end we wound up reaching for a high 60% passer with good leadership and work ethic. Could be worse.

I'm still pissed we passed on Fairley (and that he's with the Lions) because I think he could be the next Warren Sapp but no sense crying over spilled milk.
canadaviking08
Franchise Player

Post by canadaviking08 »

Joe Flacco was projected a mid second rounder coming from a school school. Yet the Ravens picked him 15th overall, I am sure that was considered a reach. When you look at how he turned out, it was a great pick. I am not saying Ponder will be the next Joe Flacco but my point is if you believe a guy can be your franchise QB, pick him at your spot
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:The injury prone tag is overplayed, Sam Bradford has a similar injury and he looks fine to me. Apparently the Vikings smokescreened the league pretty well, I think most thought Dalton was our guy and Washington would have taken Ponder with their pick. So in the end we wound up reaching for a high 60% passer with good leadership and work ethic. Could be worse.

I'm still pissed we passed on Fairley (and that he's with the Lions) because I think he could be the next Warren Sapp but no sense crying over spilled milk.

Look at it this way: maybe he'll be the next Jimmy Kennedy!*

Jim

* Of course, now that Kennedy is a Viking, I hope being "the next Jimmy Kennedy" ends up meaning a player is a bust for the team that drafted him but then goes on to excel for the Vikings. ;)
cusm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cusm »

S197 wrote:I'm still pissed we passed on Fairley (and that he's with the Lions) because I think he could be the next Warren Sapp but no sense crying over spilled milk.

Don't say that. Sapp was drafted #12, we passed on him at #11 for Derrick Alexander (not the good one) from FSU, and look how good that turned out (we lost him in the supplemental draft to Cleveland).
Image Image Image
Fran the Man
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Fran the Man »

With Pat Williams likely retiring and KWill suspended for the first 4 games, I thought Fairley was a no-brainer. The guy is a beast and I would have much rather had seen us pick him and take the chance that Ponder, Dalton or Mallett would still be there with our 2nd.

After researching Ponder thru the night, I'm looking forward to see if Fraizer and Spielman win us a SuperBowl with their choice, or lose their jobs in a year or two.
Don't pick a fight with an old Viking. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Duchene
Veteran

Post by Duchene »

Fran the Man wrote:With Pat Williams likely retiring and KWill suspended for the first 4 games, I thought Fairley was a no-brainer. The guy is a beast and I would have much rather had seen us pick him and take the chance that Ponder, Dalton or Mallett would still be there with our 2nd.

After researching Ponder thru the night, I'm looking forward to see if Fraizer and Spielman win us a SuperBowl with their choice, or lose their jobs in a year or two.
You are right, this pick will make or break Frazier's first head coaching gig. If Ponder does good, Frazier looks good. Ponder is a bust, Frazier getting fired will be a must. I'm trying to stay positive though, the pick might have been a reach but definitely has potential to be a great pick.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Duchene wrote:You are right, this pick will make or break Frazier's first head coaching gig. If Ponder does good, Frazier looks good. Ponder is a bust, Frazier getting fired will be a must. I'm trying to stay positive though, the pick might have been a reach but definitely has potential to be a great pick.
Spielman's job is most likely tied to Ponder's success or failure as well.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

The more I consider the Vikings picking up Ponder at #12, the more upset I become. Yes, maybe Ponder ends up being the guy. However, the argument that he has as good a chance as any other QB in the draft just doesn't wash with me. It makes little sense to take a shot at a "crap shoot" position like QB, when there were two or three amazing players who would have made an immediate and positive impact at other positions of need for the Vikings. No one is a sure thing, but I think Nick Fairley and Prince Amukamara are about as close as it comes, and they were BOTH still available. I was almost drooling considering the possibilities of a DL bolstered by a young run-stopping DT like Fairley, or a secondary with a REAL shut down CB like Amukamara. The Giants got a steal of Randy Moss proportions (or better) by snagging Amukamara all the way down at #19. Ponder just makes me shrug and say, "Ok. Hope it works out." The idea that Kaepernick, Mallet and Dalton would all be gone by pick 43 seems like a bit of a stretch and I think all three have equal or better upsides than Ponder.

There were numerous comparisons to the QB class of 1999, but why would anyone want to relive that? Five Qbs taken in the first 12 picks and... zero Super Bowl champions. Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Akili Smith, Daunte Culpepper and Cade McNown: one very good QB, a solid one, two washouts and a complete bust. QB Fever hit hard during this year's first round and I just don't see this group being any more successful than the '99 crew. I think Locker may be the real deal, but every other QB taken so far benefited from pre-Draft surges. Not a good sign. I think Kaepernick and possibly Mallett are going to be good value for where they are picked.

So, with no 3rd Rounder, this 2nd round pick takes on some serious importance for the Vikings.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

BGM wrote:The more I consider the Vikings picking up Ponder at #12, the more upset I become. Yes, maybe Ponder ends up being the guy. However, the argument that he has as good a chance as any other QB in the draft just doesn't wash with me. It makes little sense to take a shot at a "crap shoot" position like QB, when there were two or three amazing players who would have made an immediate and positive impact at other positions of need for the Vikings. No one is a sure thing, but I think Nick Fairley and Prince Amukamara are about as close as it comes, and they were BOTH still available. I was almost drooling considering the possibilities of a DL bolstered by a young run-stopping DT like Fairley, or a secondary with a REAL shut down CB like Amukamara. The Giants got a steal of Randy Moss proportions (or better) by snagging Amukamara all the way down at #19. Ponder just makes me shrug and say, "Ok. Hope it works out." The idea that Kaepernick, Mallet and Dalton would all be gone by pick 43 seems like a bit of a stretch and I think all three have equal or better upsides than Ponder.

There were numerous comparisons to the QB class of 1999, but why would anyone want to relive that? Five Qbs taken in the first 12 picks and... zero Super Bowl champions. Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Akili Smith, Daunte Culpepper and Cade McNown: one very good QB, a solid one, two washouts and a complete bust. QB Fever hit hard during this year's first round and I just don't see this group being any more successful than the '99 crew. I think Locker may be the real deal, but every other QB taken so far benefited from pre-Draft surges. Not a good sign. I think Kaepernick and possibly Mallett are going to be good value for where they are picked.

So, with no 3rd Rounder, this 2nd round pick takes on some serious importance for the Vikings.
that is a very rational post and one that actually gives perspective to the other side. ponder was a viking for about 30 seconds before this board was flooded with how terrible he is, how bad the vikings are going to be, and how spielman needs to be fired! it is hard to take posts like that seriously. you on the other hand didn't like the pick, and clearly explained why with examples and didn't get all extreme with the situation. thanks.

that said, sometimes the best pick in the draft isn't the one that is the most exciting. i too would have loved prince or fairly and if we went that route i would have been fine. and i'll admit that ponder didn't haveme jumping out of my chair in excitement either. but there weren't many packer fans that were dancing in the streets aftr picking up rodgers either. he was a good pick...nothing more. i think ponder has that ability too.

we obviously still have needs to address, which is why i'm excited for the rest of the draft. but i will say that the guys that are so unhappy with tis pick are the guys that know nothing about ponder! the kid is real good, and has a chance to be every bit of the player that the ones the "experts" and mock drafts said were top 10 picks.

good post though.
i'm ready for a beer.
purple guy
Hall of Famer

Post by purple guy »

losperros wrote:
If you don't mind me jumping in here, Purple Guy, I've seen Ponder play entire games several times and he kicked butt in every single one of them, including dismantling my Florida Gators last year. In my view, Ponder was a heck of a *college* quarterback. I don't know how he'll do as a pro, though I think he'll develop into an exceptional player. I base that not only on his physical skills, which I think are underrated, but because he's a hard worker, extremely intelligent, and a team leader. The trouble is that NO college player is a guaranteed stud or bust. Some players adapt to world of pro ball and some don't, regardless what spot they were drafted at.
Thanks. I wasnt knocking him, I was curious. Certainly no rookie is a lock to be a stud, and I agree, Id rather the Vikings risk reaching on a player who is smart, works hard, and is aleader (Ponder), than an athletically gifted QB who seems to love attention and has some questions about his character, (Cam/Mallett).

Honestly, if he would have been gone by our 43rd pick, its not an enormous reach IMO, especially given he plays QB. Im a glass half empty guy most of the time, but I dont get all the angst about picking a QB at 12, who, by almost all accounts would have been picked by our next pick (and maybe even still in the 1st round), when our QB situation is in such bad shape. Already labeled a bust and injury prone?? Might be jumping the gun a bit. I certainly realize he could be a bust, but so could every other player we passed up, who supposedly had "value" at 12. For me, I would have liked Fairley, but not Prince. Prince is way over rated IMO. Ponder is the Vikings QB, and Ill give him the benefit of the doubt until he earns otherwise.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

BGM wrote: No one is a sure thing, but I think Nick Fairley and Prince Amukamara are about as close as it comes, and they were BOTH still available
If they were such sure things, why were both still on the board at #12? Why did Amukamara drop to #19?

I don't think any of us can know what the guys who evaluate players for a living know about these guys. Fairly had one great season in college. One. Even then, he showed only flashes. IMHO, he might resemble Sapp when he's trying, but there were plenty of times when it didn't seem like he was trying too hard. That might change with the Lions, or it might not. Fairly's pattern strikes me as the classic NFL player who is up for free agency and in his final year with a team he dominates, then gets the big contract and declines. With Fairly I think that is more likely to happen then we're going to see him consistently dominate. And quite honestly, I'd rather not have another Ray Edwards on the defensive line.
BGM wrote:I think Locker may be the real deal, but every other QB taken so far benefited from pre-Draft surges
From what I've seen Jake Locker is the white, QB version of Percy Harvin, except in Locker's case he's a slower runner and thrower instead of a runner and catcher. He's got a long way's to go to unlearn his propensity to use his legs to make plays, as well as learn to set up properly (and consistently) to deliver the ball where he wants it to go. That was a significant problem for him every year he was in college, and it's likely to continue in the pros.