View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 2009 Vikings vs. 2010 Packers 

Who wins this hypothetical matchup?
2009 Vikings 65%  65%  [ 26 ]
2010 Packers 35%  35%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 40

2009 Vikings vs. 2010 Packers 
All Pro Elite Player

Post 2009 Vikings vs. 2010 Packers
I'm so sick of hearing about how "great" this Packers team is blah, blah. The top 4 teams last year were better than the top 4 teams this year and to prove it let's go head to head.

Who would win in a hypothetical game pulling the Vikings from January 1, 2010 playing the Packers from January 1, 2011 in a neutral field.

Now before any of you get all caught up in the hype and mesmerized by Clay Matthews flowing hair, remember in 2009 the vikings swept the Packers, who were actually a good team, finishing 11-5, and in 2010 these Packers swept the vikings because we got screwed by the refs on a Shiancoe TD, and our team imploded in Childress' last hoorah.

also remember in 2009 the Vikings beat the "red hot" Cowboys before pounding, but losing due to way too many bizarre fumbles, while the Packers beat an ice cold Eagles, Matty choke, and one half of Jay Cutler in a dress and one half of rookie QB's and in the SB they beat a rapist on the NFL's biggest stage.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:30 pm
All Pro Elite Player

Post Re: 2009 Vikings vs. 2010 Packers
Vikings win this one. I'd go so far as to say the 2009 Saints, and 2009 Colts beat the 2010 Packers too and most other teams of the playoffs.

2009 saw clear separation between the top 3 teams in the NFL and the rest for the entire season and the playoffs just magnified that.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:31 pm
Hall of Famer

2009 Vikings. They had their slip-ups and adversity they had to deal with, but in the end, poor officiating and a RB that fumbled just a few too many times killed us when it mattered. And while some may say that that makes the difference between a good and great team, the 2009 Vikings should be considered better than the Packers of this year (minus the superbowl of course).

Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:42 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

Hate to break this to you ...

The Packers swept us this year because we sucked and they didn't.

As to the hypothetical matchup, even a guy like me, who LOVED the Vikings' '09 season (even Favre ... hell, especially Favre) can admit that the Pack would win.

Their offensive and defensive lines were loads better this year than in '09 ... their inability to protect Rodgers or get to Favre was a big reason we swept them in '09. Their defensive backfield was worlds better this year, and, come to think of it, so were their linebackers. Also, let's not forget that two of the Packers' 6 losses this season came when Aaron Rodgers was out and Matt Flynn was their quarterback. They lost each of those games by four points, both on the road, one of them at New England.

In addition, Green Bay played its best football in January and February of '11. We were coming off a lackluster December in '09.

I hate the Packers with a purple passion. It grates me to no end that they've got another Lombardi trophy. But I gotta give credit where it's due.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:55 pm
Hall of Famer

Gee, wonder how this poll will end???? 652,875 vs 2. The Packers. They rolled into the playoffs playing well in every area. The Vikings limped in last season, and without a bye and HFA, would not have made the NFCC game. Not that it matters AT ALL. The only SBs the Vikings fans can "dream" about are these stupid "hypothetical" ones. In the playoffs, when it mattered, trhe 2009 Vikings couldnt get it done, WITH HFA and a bye. The Packers did it as a 6 seed. How any arguement can be made aside from being a total homer is beyond me.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:19 pm
Career Elite Player

purple guy wrote:
Gee, wonder how this poll will end???? 652,875 vs 2. The Packers. They rolled into the playoffs playing well in every area. The Vikings limped in last season, and without a bye and HFA, would not have made the NFCC game. Not that it matters AT ALL. The only SBs the Vikings fans can "dream" about are these stupid "hypothetical" ones. In the playoffs, when it mattered, trhe 2009 Vikings couldnt get it done, WITH HFA and a bye. The Packers did it as a 6 seed. How any arguement can be made aside from being a total homer is beyond me.

Rolled into the playoffs? If Detroit had lost to Tampa instead of winning their first away game in 2 years the Packers wouldn't have made the playoffs.

Mark Twain

Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:03 pm
Transition Player

Raptorman wrote:
purple guy wrote:

Rolled into the playoffs? If Detroit had lost to Tampa instead of winning their first away game in 2 years the Packers wouldn't have made the playoffs.

And if the Giants didn't blow a 21 point lead against Philly in the last 8 minutes of the 4th quarter they would have missed the playoffs too.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:58 pm
Hall of Famer

When things "clicked" for the Vikings like they did against to the Cowboys in the playoffs last year, they were essentially unstoppable. I'll still say the Vikes w/ the asterisk...

The Vikes get the nod AT THEIR PEAK/BEST, but the Packers as a whole this year were better.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:19 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

I understand it's the offseason...but man talk about a pointless thread...

Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:45 pm
Hall of Famer

This is an easy one. The 2010 Packers would take the 2009 Vikings, because this last season's version of the Pack won when they had to. The 2009 Vikings did not. They blew their HFA chance in December and then lost the Championship game. This version of the Pack won the SB. The 2009 Vikings couldn't even get in the game.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:34 pm
Hall of Famer

the vikings !!!!!
the vikings pass rush was much better in 2009 and the secondary played better in the playoffs. the saints had a better o-line and a more physical and opportunistic defense then the 2010 packers. i just feel the vikings nearly beat the saints in 2009 a better overall team than the 2010 packers IMO.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:58 am
Hall of Famer

losperros wrote:
This is an easy one. The 2010 Packers would take the 2009 Vikings, because this last season's version of the Pack won when they had to. The 2009 Vikings did not. They blew their HFA chance in December and then lost the Championship game. This version of the Pack won the SB. The 2009 Vikings couldn't even get in the game.

I agree. The 2009 Vikings still had a shot at the #1 seed for a few weeks and blew those chances (ending up with #2). I still think we beat the Saints if the game is at the dome, but in the end it doesn't matter. You said it best: The Pack won when they had to, and the Vikes didn't. Believe me, it pains me to have to say things like this, so lets not have another poll like this. I hate saying the Pack is/was better....

Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:27 am
Waterboy

Rolled into the playoffs? If Detroit had lost to Tampa instead of winning their first away game in 2 years the Packers wouldn't have made the playoffs.And if the Giants didn't blow a 21 point lead against Philly in the last 8 minutes of the 4th quarter they would have missed the playoffs too.

Well if the Bucs had a winning record in their own division and showed up in a MUST WIN game against the Lions! well that didn't happen....bummer. The bucs have no one to blame but themselves.
Desean Jackson's punt didn't help The Packers at all, They had the Freaking Tiebreaker against the eagles, if the giants beat the eagles, then The Packers could probably laydown and rest their starting guys, limp into the playoffs at 9-7 instead of having to win the last two games....then again, the bucs finished 10-6, so The Packers would have had to win the last two regardless.
Either way, That Punt Return TD didn't affect the Packer's playoff spot regardless of who won between the Eagles/Giants.
The Eagles winning just meant that The Packers had to travel to Philly instead of Chicago in the Wildcard round.

And another way to spin the "What if" card is ..
What if the Ravens make that FG and Brett Favre doesn't get that last Second TD against the 49ers and the Packer's Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher play in those games against the Vikings...do the 09 vikings finish 12-4 or 8-8?
who cares, the season plays out the way it plays out.

Another what if....
What if The 2009 vikings lost Adrian Peterson in Week 1?
Visan(idk how to spell his freaking name) Shiancoe in week 5?
4 LBS, 2 DEs, a DT, several other players lost due to injuries?

Do the 2009 vikings win a superbowl with 15 guys on IR?
Could the 2010 Packers be undefeated if it weren't for those injuries?

A whole lot of "What ifs!".

regardless, no need to act like sore losers and say the Packers Superbowl Win wasn't Legit and what not. C'mon minnesota, you guys got more class than bears fans. :thumbsup:

Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:49 am
Hall of Famer

All in all I think the 2009 vikings roster was more talented and had more potential for a one year period of time. However our coaching, game plans, and systems are / were some of the WORST in the league and there is absolutely no possible way we even go 6-10 if AD, Shiancoe, and a bunch of other guys got hurt. The 2009 system could be summed up in a nutshell as "we will just brute force you with talent" so when the talent gets hurt its gg. The Vikings 2010 season pretty much proved that anyway when Cedric tore another ACL among other injuries.

With that said, the Packers are set up for at least 5 years of superiority over us in the longer term picture and have much more fundamentally sound systems. Ryan Grant gets hurt? Who cares, a scrub like jackson / starks can just replace him and you can throw just about any WR out there along Jennings and driver and they'll have success, Rodgers and the system are that good, who even needs a TE?

Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:07 am
Hall of Famer

mondry wrote:
All in all I think the 2009 vikings roster was more talented and had more potential for a one year period of time. However our coaching, game plans, and systems are / were some of the WORST in the league and there is absolutely no possible way we even go 6-10 if AD, Shiancoe, and a bunch of other guys got hurt. The 2009 system could be summed up in a nutshell as "we will just brute force you with talent" so when the talent gets hurt its gg. The Vikings 2010 season pretty much proved that anyway when Cedric tore another ACL among other injuries.

With that said, the Packers are set up for at least 5 years of superiority over us in the longer term picture and have much more fundamentally sound systems. Ryan Grant gets hurt? Who cares, a scrub like jackson / starks can just replace him and you can throw just about any WR out there along Jennings and driver and they'll have success, Rodgers and the system are that good, who even needs a TE?

not to mention we wasted a draft pick on moss. thats piss poor....... not being able to control moss or forcing moss and childress to work out there problems. childress should have been fired and moss should have been put on a leash imo. the front office is just horrible.

Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:38 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

the packers of 2010 were better than the saints of 2009. My suspicion is that they beat us, because we weren't that good in 2009 despite the record. I think either the jets or the colts would have beaten us in the SB had we beat the saints, which I was shocked that we didn't.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:37 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

I think at the end of their respective seasons the Packers were better by a pretty wide margin and I believe that because by the end of their respective seasons the Packers had lost 15 guys (several high-profile and important starters) to injury, and then went on to lose even more guys in the Superbowl itself. Despite all of that they still were the best team in football at the end. As great as the Vikings 2009 season was, there is no way the 2009 Vikings even compete had AD gone down to injury like Ryan Grant went down for the Packers. I also think Aaron Rodgers had what amounted to the greatest postseason for a QB in NFL history (if not, he was darn close). Favre had a great 2009, but even he couldn't approach what Rodgers did in the 2010 post-season.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:19 pm
Career Elite Player

VikingLord wrote:
I think at the end of their respective seasons the Packers were better by a pretty wide margin and I believe that because by the end of their respective seasons the Packers had lost 15 guys (several high-profile and important starters) to injury, and then went on to lose even more guys in the Superbowl itself. Despite all of that they still were the best team in football at the end. As great as the Vikings 2009 season was, there is no way the 2009 Vikings even compete had AD gone down to injury like Ryan Grant went down for the Packers. I also think Aaron Rodgers had what amounted to the greatest postseason for a QB in NFL history (if not, he was darn close). Favre had a great 2009, but even he couldn't approach what Rodgers did in the 2010 post-season.

Agree 100% Can you imagine Toby if AD went down? Rogers in the post season could have played with any post season gave Ive ever watched. And the rest of the team was good enough.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:35 pm
Career Elite Player

hah - then again if Shiancoe's TD catch stood against GB... you guys would have not made the playoffs. McCarthy lives by the challenge flag.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:04 am
All Pro Elite Player

NextQuestion wrote:
hah - then again if Shiancoe's TD catch stood against GB... you guys would have not made the playoffs. McCarthy lives by the challenge flag.

Or a nonthere of (Quarless catch). But what's done is done. It's really hard to compare teams from two different years nontheless.

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer

Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]