Pick 14

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pep2Moss
Starter

Re: Pick 14

Post by Pep2Moss »

CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:33 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:02 am
Looking at Spielman compared to the rest of the NFL, he has more late round picks (6th and 7th) than any GM in the NFL, and less to show for it than a number of other GMs. Some depth guys and borderline starters, but combined I doubt they have gained us a single win in the past 6 or 7 years.

The irony is that he does a great job drafting in the 2nd and 3rd round compared to most other GMs, but has the fewest picks in those rounds.
Getting all those 7th rounders has gotten us zero. Throwing them in the garbage would have provide the same value. Now it's the 4th round game. Not much there either. Samia is the poster child for what that round will produce. I liked the pick but he isn't worth wasting the room or time on. It's like he never played the sport. Now it will be 4 more of that ####. Trade all them and get back into the 3rd round or maybe 2nd.
I would definitely deal both 3s to get into round 2 and two 4's to get into round 3.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:35 pm
CharVike wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:23 pm I want us to trade up this year to get that potential HOF QB.
I know you like Mac Jones, but what if Jones slides to the Vikings at #14? I could see that happening.

Or what if the Vikings just bide their time into the 3rd when some pretty intriguing QB's might still be on the board like Mond, Newman, Mills or even Trask? Russell Wilson went in the 3rd. Some very good QBs have slipped into the later rounds of the draft. Its a tough position to evaluate, and moving up to get one is probably riskier than holding tight and seeing how things shake out.

Any move that pays off is by definition not stupid, but the trick is in knowing and not guessing the odds a particular player at a particular position is going to work out the way they hope. If you give up a lot, you need to get a lot or people will (justifiably) criticize the decision.
CharVike wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:23 pm I think Speilman collects those 7th rounders as a replacement for undrafted FA players. Once picked there his.
Not this year... He had just one 7th round pick and the league took that away as punishment for some salary cap shenanigans apparently.

This year Spielman makes his money in Rounds 3 and 4...
Some of these players like Trask and Mills have passing talent. They will need to sit but that's perfect for us now. That Millis throws a nice ball plus he's a smart kid. That never hurts a QB. It's hard to tell were they will go. That's always the case. Be nice to have a kid with some talent behind Cousins.
VikingTom
Starter

Post by VikingTom »

Pep2Moss wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:16 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:33 pm
Getting all those 7th rounders has gotten us zero. Throwing them in the garbage would have provide the same value. Now it's the 4th round game. Not much there either. Samia is the poster child for what that round will produce. I liked the pick but he isn't worth wasting the room or time on. It's like he never played the sport. Now it will be 4 more of that ####. Trade all them and get back into the 3rd round or maybe 2nd.
I would definitely deal both 3s to get into round 2 and two 4's to get into round 3.
I would not be so quick as to trade those 3rd and 4th round picks. There are good players likely to be there in both rounds that also happen to be positions where the Vikings need help. I would not mind seeing them pick up a 2nd round pick, but would rather they trade back in the 1st round, then throw in one 4th round pick to add a 2nd round choice. Course making that work depends on how bad a team wants to move up, and how far back the Vikings would have to move.

I am of the belief that the Vikings can set themselves up nicely to fill the remaining holes, and add quality depth without making more than one trade. Truth is, they could do quite well if they sit on the picks they have. The Vikings have 2 picks in the 3rd, 4 picks in the 4th round, and 2 picks in the 5th. There will be good interior OL and DEs on the board then. Will also be a chance to add DBs WRs, maybe a RB, maybe even a QB depending on who is around. Two picks in the 6th, take another shot at a kicker, then quarantine that guy from Zimmer.

Basically I think this is a good draft to add starters at positions of need and restocking depth with guys capable of becoming starters as they develop.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:13 pm
VikingLord wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:35 pm

I know you like Mac Jones, but what if Jones slides to the Vikings at #14? I could see that happening.

Or what if the Vikings just bide their time into the 3rd when some pretty intriguing QB's might still be on the board like Mond, Newman, Mills or even Trask? Russell Wilson went in the 3rd. Some very good QBs have slipped into the later rounds of the draft. Its a tough position to evaluate, and moving up to get one is probably riskier than holding tight and seeing how things shake out.

Any move that pays off is by definition not stupid, but the trick is in knowing and not guessing the odds a particular player at a particular position is going to work out the way they hope. If you give up a lot, you need to get a lot or people will (justifiably) criticize the decision.

Not this year... He had just one 7th round pick and the league took that away as punishment for some salary cap shenanigans apparently.

This year Spielman makes his money in Rounds 3 and 4...
Some of these players like Trask and Mills have passing talent. They will need to sit but that's perfect for us now. That Millis throws a nice ball plus he's a smart kid. That never hurts a QB. It's hard to tell were they will go. That's always the case. Be nice to have a kid with some talent behind Cousins.

I want Kellen Mond. I would be fine with Trask also. But I think Mond is gonna be real good.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingTom wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:36 am
Pep2Moss wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:16 pm

I would not be so quick as to trade those 3rd and 4th round picks. There are good players likely to be there in both rounds that also happen to be positions where the Vikings need help. I would not mind seeing them pick up a 2nd round pick, but would rather they trade back in the 1st round, then throw in one 4th round pick to add a 2nd round choice. Course making that work depends on how bad a team wants to move up, and how far back the Vikings would have to move.

I am of the belief that the Vikings can set themselves up nicely to fill the remaining holes, and add quality depth without making more than one trade. Truth is, they could do quite well if they sit on the picks they have. The Vikings have 2 picks in the 3rd, 4 picks in the 4th round, and 2 picks in the 5th. There will be good interior OL and DEs on the board then. Will also be a chance to add DBs WRs, maybe a RB, maybe even a QB depending on who is around. Two picks in the 6th, take another shot at a kicker, then quarantine that guy from Zimmer.

Basically I think this is a good draft to add starters at positions of need and restocking depth with guys capable of becoming starters as they develop.
Based on Speilman's history the 2nd round has been productive. That's because the 2nd round contains better players. I'd take 3 2nd rounders and get rid of all those picks. I don't see much talent in round 4 on down. I certainly don't want a trade down from 14. How many picks will actually make the team. We have 9 already through 4 rounds. I'd rather just have 3 2nds and trade the rest of the picks. The talent will be much better to select from.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

CharVike wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:01 pm

Based on Speilman's history the 2nd round has been productive. That's because the 2nd round contains better players. I'd take 3 2nd rounders and get rid of all those picks. I don't see much talent in round 4 on down. I certainly don't want a trade down from 14. How many picks will actually make the team. We have 9 already through 4 rounds. I'd rather just have 3 2nds and trade the rest of the picks. The talent will be much better to select from.
The problem is that they rarely develop in our system, or any others !!! Sure there are some that continue to do so, but rarely do they. So why continue to trade out of premium players for a slew of guys to be cut ???
I would rather trade my 5th, 6th, and 7th rd picks to move around the top 3 rds as much as possible. That is where the talent is. That's why they are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd draft picks ! I get it also, you have to field a practice squad and a training camp roster.
I like the Thielen, Harris, and Diggs stories as much as the next guy. But there have been a lot more 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rd guys on rosters playing every day ! I am hoping to be able to watch when we have a GM and HC who actually really move around the draft in an attempt to add the best talent possible. Not just trying to add depth behind average to below average starters.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

according to Walter Football here are the Vikings visits so far

Derrick Barnes, Outside Linebacker, Purdue (VIR)
K.J. Britt, Linebacker, Auburn (VIR)
Chris Evans, Running Back, Michigan (VIR)
Chauncey Golston, Defensive End, Iowa (VIR)
Kylin Hill, Running Back, Mississippi State (VIR)
Wyatt Hubert, 3-4 Outside Linebacker, Kansas State (VIR)
Hunter Long, Tight End, Boston College (VIR)
Isaiah McDuffie, Linebacker, Boston College (VIR)
Dillon Radunz, Offensive Tackle, North Dakota State (VIR)
Peyton Ramsey, Quarterback, Northwestern (VIR)
Anthony Schwartz, Wide Receiver, Auburn (VIR)
JaCoby Stevens, Outside Linebacker, LSU (VIR)
Darius Stills, Defensive Tackle, West Virginia (VIR)
Kyle Trask, Quarterback, Florida (VIR)
Marlon Tuipulotu, Defensive Tackle, USC (VIR)
Kenny Yeboah, Tight End, Ole Miss (VIR)
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Pep2Moss wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:45 am according to Walter Football here are the Vikings visits so far

Derrick Barnes, Outside Linebacker, Purdue (VIR)
K.J. Britt, Linebacker, Auburn (VIR)
Chris Evans, Running Back, Michigan (VIR)
Chauncey Golston, Defensive End, Iowa (VIR)
Kylin Hill, Running Back, Mississippi State (VIR)
Wyatt Hubert, 3-4 Outside Linebacker, Kansas State (VIR)
Hunter Long, Tight End, Boston College (VIR)
Isaiah McDuffie, Linebacker, Boston College (VIR)
Dillon Radunz, Offensive Tackle, North Dakota State (VIR)
Peyton Ramsey, Quarterback, Northwestern (VIR)
Anthony Schwartz, Wide Receiver, Auburn (VIR)
JaCoby Stevens, Outside Linebacker, LSU (VIR)
Darius Stills, Defensive Tackle, West Virginia (VIR)
Kyle Trask, Quarterback, Florida (VIR)
Marlon Tuipulotu, Defensive Tackle, USC (VIR)
Kenny Yeboah, Tight End, Ole Miss (VIR)
I have never heard of most of those guys.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

So we can expect the trend of trading down and accumulating 7th rd picks again.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

LOL I guarantee they have done countless Zoom interviews and facetimes and crap like that.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

CharVike wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:01 pm

Unless we are going QB, it probably makes sense to trade back at 14 if we can find a dance partner. A starting IOL or DE should be available later in the 1st...or even a CB if the team is determined to go that route. The top Tackles will be gone.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

I saw a mock draft that Vikings draft Lance at #14, I would not mind it but I doubt he will fall to Vikings, 49ers are interested in Lance
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:47 pm I saw a mock draft that Vikings draft Lance at #14, I would not mind it but I doubt he will fall to Vikings, 49ers are interested in Lance
QB is the hardest position to evaluate. Plus in today's world the guy is thrown in right off the bat. Grap and Cousins actually had some time to develop their craft. Neither was considered a 1st round talent. The Packers are doing the same for Love. I look at a kid like Fields who IMO will need some time for development. Of course if the team is using an offense like OU's then yes it will work right off the bat. But that carries a huge risk. The QB will take many hits and that takes a toll on a player. Lamar runs through defenses. I don't know if I would want my QB doing that. It's nothing new it's been around since football was around. One of our guys Culpepper was hit after a run and it was over. Yes he gained some yards but was it worth the position he was in. IDK. Maybe it was.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

I really think I will be annoyed if Darrisaw and or Slater are there and we pass them for ED or CB. This is a chance to put the LT to bed and have a young four of New LT, Cleveland, Bradbury and O'Neill.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pep2Moss wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:08 pm I really think I will be annoyed if Darrisaw and or Slater are there and we pass them for ED or CB. This is a chance to put the LT to bed and have a young four of New LT, Cleveland, Bradbury and O'Neill.
The Vikings almost always draft for need in the 1st, so I expect the pick will be one of those two if they drop to 14 or a trade back to pick up one of the later round LTs if they are not.

I have to ask you though, if the Vikings really liked Paye and felt he could be a double digit sack machine, would you be okay with them passing on him to pick up a LT who they might not like as much, but who fills a bigger need?