49ers Post Game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: 49ers Post Game

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

Well its 1:07 am here in Ohio. I've exhausted my Stouts and have now switched to Elysian Night Owl Pumpkin Ales lol. Went from 10% ers down to 6.9 % brews. Anyone else still drinking to dull the sorrow? Weird cuz I really don't drink like this th hatb often . At all. Just so freakin bummed man. Couldn't bowhunt for 1st time in about 38 yrs cuz of a dumb #### hand and ebow surgery, and now the Vikes are out AGAIN.. so I'm having a pity party tonight. Yes im pretty well lit right now so problu ain't making much sense just been depressed with not being able to work , bit especially bowhun, so my only hope was our Vikes and they let us down. So I'm trying one on tonight. My wife actually Saud go ahead, you have had a bad few months. So when u get the wifeas blessing, ya gotta go for it. So hopefully one of my board buddies is throwing a few back with me. Not trying to be a dick here. Just uncharacteristically driwning my sorrows. Tomorrow I will be a little more clear headed. Been a rough few months as far as trying to mend fron shrgery... I ain't young anymore, not able to bowhunt and nownVikes out of it. Life sucks tonight. But tomorrow is a new day right. Just hope I win the only memner drowning my sorrows. And 1 more thing... tomorrow... screw you erin. Even though I hate the Seachickens, I hate u more. I hope they beat u to a pulp. You crybaby jerk. Pk I better stop posting. Too much brew and not enuff Bowhunting Viking talking here now. Sorry felllas. Hopenu u understand.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:25 am Well its 1:07 am here in Ohio. I've exhausted my Stouts and have now switched to Elysian Night Owl Pumpkin Ales lol. Went from 10% ers down to 6.9 % brews. Anyone else still drinking to dull the sorrow? Weird cuz I really don't drink like this th hatb often . At all. Just so freakin bummed man. Couldn't bowhunt for 1st time in about 38 yrs cuz of a dumb #### hand and ebow surgery, and now the Vikes are out AGAIN.. so I'm having a pity party tonight. Yes im pretty well lit right now so problu ain't making much sense just been depressed with not being able to work , bit especially bowhun, so my only hope was our Vikes and they let us down. So I'm trying one on tonight. My wife actually Saud go ahead, you have had a bad few months. So when u get the wifeas blessing, ya gotta go for it. So hopefully one of my board buddies is throwing a few back with me. Not trying to be a dick here. Just uncharacteristically driwning my sorrows. Tomorrow I will be a little more clear headed. Been a rough few months as far as trying to mend fron shrgery... I ain't young anymore, not able to bowhunt and nownVikes out of it. Life sucks tonight. But tomorrow is a new day right. Just hope I win the only memner drowning my sorrows. And 1 more thing... tomorrow... screw you erin. Even though I hate the Seachickens, I hate u more. I hope they beat u to a pulp. You crybaby jerk. Pk I better stop posting. Too much brew and not enuff Bowhunting Viking talking here now. Sorry felllas. Hopenu u understand.
It'll be alright brother.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:25 am Well its 1:07 am here in Ohio. I've exhausted my Stouts and have now switched to Elysian Night Owl Pumpkin Ales lol. Went from 10% ers down to 6.9 % brews. Anyone else still drinking to dull the sorrow? Weird cuz I really don't drink like this th hatb often . At all. Just so freakin bummed man. Couldn't bowhunt for 1st time in about 38 yrs cuz of a dumb #### hand and ebow surgery, and now the Vikes are out AGAIN.. so I'm having a pity party tonight. Yes im pretty well lit right now so problu ain't making much sense just been depressed with not being able to work , bit especially bowhun, so my only hope was our Vikes and they let us down. So I'm trying one on tonight. My wife actually Saud go ahead, you have had a bad few months. So when u get the wifeas blessing, ya gotta go for it. So hopefully one of my board buddies is throwing a few back with me. Not trying to be a dick here. Just uncharacteristically driwning my sorrows. Tomorrow I will be a little more clear headed. Been a rough few months as far as trying to mend fron shrgery... I ain't young anymore, not able to bowhunt and nownVikes out of it. Life sucks tonight. But tomorrow is a new day right. Just hope I win the only memner drowning my sorrows. And 1 more thing... tomorrow... screw you erin. Even though I hate the Seachickens, I hate u more. I hope they beat u to a pulp. You crybaby jerk. Pk I better stop posting. Too much brew and not enuff Bowhunting Viking talking here now. Sorry felllas. Hopenu u understand.
Thanks man. Just alot of stress because of slow surgery recuperation, not being able to hunt, a longer time off work than expected and today's loss just finally made me finally just let it all out lol. I will be ok tomorrow, except for the hangover headache cuz I really dont usually do this lol. I'm back to work on the 20th, and is the Pukers lose tomorrow I will be feeling betterr
Thanks for the motivation. Just the culmination of a bad month.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:35 am
It'll be alright brother.
Ok I'm cutting myself off. I thanked myself instead of u Maelstrom88. Ok I'm done. Time to got the sack and forget this day.
But... thanks brother.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:54 pm
S197 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:26 pm We are now the first team in NFL history to lose 30 playoff games. The Cowboys are 2nd with 28... but they also have 5 championships.
Dude why the hell would you post that tonight???? Don't you realize that you just made my $13.99 for a 4 pk Imperial Stout taste bad with my salty tears dripping in it after reading that?? Come on bro, take pity on ur wounded brothers :lol: :beerock:
:lol:
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:08 pm
808vikingsfan wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:44 pm

But not Cousins. Other players need to perform well or we dismiss his poor performance. Everything needs to be perfect for him. He can't be pressured. We're worried when a player shows frustration because we think it might upset Cousins, or feel he needs to be in a certain emotional state to do well. He's a headcase.

To add to that, he's very limited as a qb. Zero pocket presence, can't extend plays, up and down with decision making , scared to take chances, always seem to start off slow. Thought his first few passes set the tone of the game. Allowed SF to focus on stopping the run.
He was a sitting duck in the pocket. It was like he was standing on ice. Puts so much pressure on the OL.

You guys can all talk "team" but the QB makes a huge difference in the success of a football team. I would go as far to say with better QB play this year, the Vikings had a good chance to be the #1 seed. Even today, the Vikings had a good chance up until the 2 turnovers. This is a good team that doesn't need to get blown up. They just need to upgrade a few spots but get a more versatile and gritty QB if they want a chance at the #1 seed.

If the Vikings do not invest in a high round draft pick at QB this year then yes, I think they may need new leadership because Cousins is clearly not the answer.
Very well said. I'm not sure I would go as far as to say he's a headcase, but he just doesn't have the IT factor. I agree with your other analysis of him. I like him as a person. I was rooting for him today. It was awesome seeing the locker room scene last week. I loved his throws in OT last week. But he's just not a big enough force as a QB to win games when some other things around him break down.

With a better team around him, I think he's definitely good enough to win. There have been worse QB's that have won a Super Bowl, because of things like great defense, controlling running game, great game plans, etc. There have also been less talented teams that won Super Bowls because they had QB's that took games on their shoulders when needed. Cousins isn't THAT QB.

SO either they put a more dominant defense on the field, better coaches, and a better OL, or else they start thinking of replacing Cousins with a QB that CAN be the reason they win a big game every now and then.
Cousins isn't the answer. I'm sure there are many Saint fans that feel Brees isn't the answer either. First time I watched this Grap guy and I didn't fall out of my chair in awe. He threw one pass that looked like a partially blocked punt and the guy caught it. That needs to be picked off. He also threw an int that was a pathetic pass to Kendricks. He was baited. That;s not a great QB. IMO Cook didn't do a dam thing. 2 yards a carry for a play action offense won't work. He couldn't do it. Diggs dropped a pass but that is ok to most posters. Our team couldn't stand up to a rested team. It had nothing to do with their QB. They pounded the ball down our throats. You can't win that way. Joseph was pushed all over. He's our base run guy and he did zero. I felt we needed to get Cook rolling. He did nothing. Even if we had Breea I don't think we win. It's more than just the QB. We don't have the talent level. The Pack spanked us twice. That sums it up.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

CharVike wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:26 am
VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:08 pm

Very well said. I'm not sure I would go as far as to say he's a headcase, but he just doesn't have the IT factor. I agree with your other analysis of him. I like him as a person. I was rooting for him today. It was awesome seeing the locker room scene last week. I loved his throws in OT last week. But he's just not a big enough force as a QB to win games when some other things around him break down.

With a better team around him, I think he's definitely good enough to win. There have been worse QB's that have won a Super Bowl, because of things like great defense, controlling running game, great game plans, etc. There have also been less talented teams that won Super Bowls because they had QB's that took games on their shoulders when needed. Cousins isn't THAT QB.

SO either they put a more dominant defense on the field, better coaches, and a better OL, or else they start thinking of replacing Cousins with a QB that CAN be the reason they win a big game every now and then.
Cousins isn't the answer. I'm sure there are many Saint fans that feel Brees isn't the answer either. First time I watched this Grap guy and I didn't fall out of my chair in awe. He threw one pass that looked like a partially blocked punt and the guy caught it. That needs to be picked off. He also threw an int that was a pathetic pass to Kendricks. He was baited. That;s not a great QB. IMO Cook didn't do a dam thing. 2 yards a carry for a play action offense won't work. He couldn't do it. Diggs dropped a pass but that is ok to most posters. Our team couldn't stand up to a rested team. It had nothing to do with their QB. They pounded the ball down our throats. You can't win that way. Joseph was pushed all over. He's our base run guy and he did zero. I felt we needed to get Cook rolling. He did nothing. Even if we had Breea I don't think we win. It's more than just the QB. We don't have the talent level. The Pack spanked us twice. That sums it up.
One more thing. Who do you suggest we replace Cousins with. The stiff from the Eagles. He can't do it either.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:07 pm
808vikingsfan wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:44 pm

But not Cousins. Other players need to perform well or we dismiss his poor performance. Everything needs to be perfect for him. He can't be pressured. We're worried when a player shows frustration because we think it might upset Cousins, or feel he needs to be in a certain emotional state to do well. He's a headcase.

To add to that, he's very limited as a qb. Zero pocket presence, can't extend plays, up and down with decision making , scared to take chances, always seem to start off slow. Thought his first few passes set the tone of the game. Allowed SF to focus on stopping the run.
He was a sitting duck in the pocket. It was like he was standing on ice. Puts so much pressure on the OL.

You guys can all talk "team" but the QB makes a huge difference in the success of a football team. I would go as far to say with better QB play this year, the Vikings had a good chance to be the #1 seed. Even today, the Vikings had a good chance up until the 2 turnovers. This is a good team that doesn't need to get blown up. They just need to upgrade a few spots but get a more versatile and gritty QB if they want a chance at the #1 seed.

If the Vikings do not invest in a high round draft pick at QB this year then yes, I think they may need new leadership because Cousins is clearly not the answer.
Very well said. I'm not sure I would go as far as to say he's a headcase, but he just doesn't the IT factor. I agree with your other analysis of him. I like him as a person. I was rooting for him today. It was awesome seeing the locker room scene last week. I loved his throws in OT last week. But he's just not a big enough force as a QB to win games when some other things around him break down.

"It was like he was standing on ice". That is a really good description of how Cousins manages the pocket.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:16 am On a different note, I was born and raised and have always lived in Ohio. I'm a Buckeyes fan . I always really liked Nick Bosa. Joey to me is kinda irritating. But I've always liked Nick. But after that cheap #### shot on O'Neil, I hope best week somebody on whichever team he plays blindsides him and knocks his #### out and if they advance to the SB he can't play. Total B.S. hit for me. So I hope Karma catches up with the A hole. Especially after they showed him laughing about it after O Neil was helped off. Not a fan anymore Nick, and whatever happens to you won't make me feel sorry for you. Just my opinion. If ya dont agree that's fine. But I ain't changing my mind.
That is the responsibility of the Vikings players to take care of. Based on his (Bosa's) reaction on the sidelines it looked like he and his mates were quite satisfied they have knocked O'Neill out of the game. A bigger disappointment than losing the game was the Vikings failure to protect their own. It was embarrassing. Bosa's season should be over today, win or loss.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Couldn’t run
Couldn’t stop the run
End of story

Great GMs know the game is won in the trenches. I believe Lynch will prove to be a great GM

Go Titans!!!
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

fiestavike wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:07 am
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:16 am On a different note, I was born and raised and have always lived in Ohio. I'm a Buckeyes fan . I always really liked Nick Bosa. Joey to me is kinda irritating. But I've always liked Nick. But after that cheap #### shot on O'Neil, I hope best week somebody on whichever team he plays blindsides him and knocks his #### out and if they advance to the SB he can't play. Total B.S. hit for me. So I hope Karma catches up with the A hole. Especially after they showed him laughing about it after O Neil was helped off. Not a fan anymore Nick, and whatever happens to you won't make me feel sorry for you. Just my opinion. If ya dont agree that's fine. But I ain't changing my mind.
That is the responsibility of the Vikings players to take care of. Based on his (Bosa's) reaction on the sidelines it looked like he and his mates were quite satisfied they have knocked O'Neill out of the game. A bigger disappointment than losing the game was the Vikings failure to protect their own. It was embarrassing. Bosa's season should be over today, win or loss.
Oh believe me I told my wife right away I hope one of our other lineman crack backs on him so hard they knock him out of the rest of the season and he doesnt play another down as long as they last this season. Lost all respect I had for him. AMD I hope he gets k locked out of the game in the first series next week
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:26 am Couldn’t run
Couldn’t stop the run
End of story

Great GMs know the game is won in the trenches. I believe Lynch will prove to be a great GM

Go Titans!!!
A team needs to control the LOS. People think I'm a robot for saying that but it's true. I like Cook and I think he's a very good player. The guy did nothing. Why? Either he didn't give a crap or he couldn't find the hole. I saw him catch a short screen and he ran right back into a group of players. Outside there was nothing. What caused that? Cousins? Bradberry? Elf? Ham? IMO he made a bad read and ran into the mess. That was easy for the D.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:34 am
VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:16 am When someone criticizes the OL, notice how no one says "What! Didn't you see them play against the Saints last week? They proved that are good", or when the play calling or game pre is questioned, we don't get "You're crazy. They proved last week that they are an awesome coaching staff", but for some reason because Cousins made some good throws last week, and made some even great throws in OT, that somehow proves that he's all we need in a QB.
Nobody says that about the OL (outside of maybe stump) because everyone knows they arent a good pass blocking OL. Oneill handled Jordan but the rest were questionable IMO.

And so many on here were singing Zimmers praises last week and how well he schemed against Brees and how well the offense played too. So yeah you do hear that.

This is every win, every loss, every season. We win, everyone is happy, everyone is great. We lose, everyone needs to be fired, Cousins blows, time to rebuild, etc. That's how this board is. But I could have called it weeks ago that whenever the Vikings get knocked out of the playoffs, it's going to be on Cousins. No matter what he did, the majority of the fingers were going in his direction. Even after what he did vs. NO. Again, not saying he played well today because he didnt but I've seen stump use multiple excuses for the OL and Rhodes. Guys all over the board defend others. It's simply that Cousins is mainly the topic of conversation and in turn, you're going to see a lot more of that.
:roll:
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

To quote the old song, there's got to be a morning after, and here it is.

Lots of emotion posted here among many cogent thoughts. Honestly I think everyone posting here has valid points. It's frustrating, and the if "Zim and Spielman could ONLY see it the way I do, this franchise would take off" mentality is pretty easy to adopt for all of us.

I'd sum my thoughts as:

Cousins, this offensive line and this OL/TE coaching staff are NOT a good combination. One can argue what percent is at what fault, but the combination is about as inconsistent/poor as any in the NFL. Something needs to change within this group for this team to progress and win playoff games. What changes and who changes it? Heck if I know. I only know if nothing changes with this group, I will be back to being an unexcited fan, again.

This team needs to address "depth", and not in the "let's stockpile 12 sixth round draft picks and see what sticks to the wall" kind of way. Spielman and group need to start targeting SPECIFIC depth needs with SPECIFIC draft prospects or FA's. Maybe continuing to supply the Cowboys with kickers bit them and we will stick with "best athlete available" again this year. Doing that 100% of the time is a mistake IMO. Evaluate the players and your missing depth, trust your evaluation even with past misses, and jump. We'll see. If we stockpile 6th rounders again, that's a sure sign we are just hoping for the best.

I know we'll address the 2020 cap situation with marginal restructures here and there, but I don't recall a team with such poor depth being at or over the cap before the next season even starts. THE CAP NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED LONG TERM. As shown by many teams, the best way to address this is to draft a starting QB. Sounds simple but it's not something we have even attempted in what seems like forever. I'm not judging Cousins, I'm saying the quickest way to a great cap situation is to draft your starting QB.

And finally, I am a big proponent of the biggest difference in the NFL being coaching. And it's not game day coaching, it's everything that goes into non-game day coaching. Statistically (sorry, quant stats major here) it's less and less likely that we whiffed on every OL acquisition than it is that our OL coaches stink. My litmus test is which players got better or stayed great every year under a staff, and honestly I see very few of those players on this roster. We did not draft or acquire 30 players that are incapable of learning and growing, I guarantee you that. What's the magic mix - keep Zim and change assistants? Worked OK for special teams. Fire Zim and gamble with a whole new staff? Cut players and keep all coaches? That one would peeve me but whatever. I don't know the magic mix. I only hope the Wilf family is at least CONTEMPLATING what the plan for change should be moving forward.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

psjordan wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:33 am To quote the old song, there's got to be a morning after, and here it is.

Lots of emotion posted here among many cogent thoughts. Honestly I think everyone posting here has valid points. It's frustrating, and the if "Zim and Spielman could ONLY see it the way I do, this franchise would take off" mentality is pretty easy to adopt for all of us.

I'd sum my thoughts as:

Cousins, this offensive line and this OL/TE coaching staff are NOT a good combination. One can argue what percent is at what fault, but the combination is about as inconsistent/poor as any in the NFL. Something needs to change within this group for this team to progress and win playoff games. What changes and who changes it? Heck if I know. I only know if nothing changes with this group, I will be back to being an unexcited fan, again.

This team needs to address "depth", and not in the "let's stockpile 12 sixth round draft picks and see what sticks to the wall" kind of way. Spielman and group need to start targeting SPECIFIC depth needs with SPECIFIC draft prospects or FA's. Maybe continuing to supply the Cowboys with kickers bit them and we will stick with "best athlete available" again this year. Doing that 100% of the time is a mistake IMO. Evaluate the players and your missing depth, trust your evaluation even with past misses, and jump. We'll see. If we stockpile 6th rounders again, that's a sure sign we are just hoping for the best.

I know we'll address the 2020 cap situation with marginal restructures here and there, but I don't recall a team with such poor depth being at or over the cap before the next season even starts. THE CAP NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED LONG TERM. As shown by many teams, the best way to address this is to draft a starting QB. Sounds simple but it's not something we have even attempted in what seems like forever. I'm not judging Cousins, I'm saying the quickest way to a great cap situation is to draft your starting QB.

And finally, I am a big proponent of the biggest difference in the NFL being coaching. And it's not game day coaching, it's everything that goes into non-game day coaching. Statistically (sorry, quant stats major here) it's less and less likely that we whiffed on every OL acquisition than it is that our OL coaches stink. My litmus test is which players got better or stayed great every year under a staff, and honestly I see very few of those players on this roster. We did not draft or acquire 30 players that are incapable of learning and growing, I guarantee you that. What's the magic mix - keep Zim and change assistants? Worked OK for special teams. Fire Zim and gamble with a whole new staff? Cut players and keep all coaches? That one would peeve me but whatever. I don't know the magic mix. I only hope the Wilf family is at least CONTEMPLATING what the plan for change should be moving forward.
Some good stuff. I don't think the Vikings are close enough to real contention that it makes sense to just try to keep the team together for next year. Next year, we are not super bowl contenders any way things go. It's time to move on from some of our veteran leadership, which, frankly, hasn't been good enough. Being hooked to Cousins for at least next year might limit some options, but its time to regroup and acknowledge that we are building for three years from now, not one year for now. Will he want to re-sign with a team who is taking that approach? Will he want to be traded? Everything needs to be on the table, and the whole team, ownership, coaches, QB, need to be on the same page that we aren't trying to hold things together in the hopes of another playoff loss, but trying to build this thing up in the hopes of a Super Bowl victory.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins