Vikings vs. Cardinals thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings vs. Cardinals thoughts

Post by StumpHunter »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:03 am Legit slow the Sloter wagon. We don't know how he would perform against the 1's. For all we know, he could blow chunks against bone fide starters.

Secondly, he still continually makes mental mistakes and is generally a frustrating player in practice. I would not presume him to lead our team when he is not ready yet.

Also I believe Cutting? was holding on field goals. Beebe was last week and we did alright.

We shouldn't be overreacting like this. It's preseason. It doesn't matter. It doesn't pay to overreact. Let's just enjoy the fact we got a win.
On both fgs there is a perfect shot of the holds. Laces were out, perfectly placed and the ball never moved.
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:57 am
Purple Martin wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:55 am

People don't like Mannion because he has played in the NFL and wasn't any good. He might be serviceable in an emergency but he hasn't shown any flashes of being more than that. Sloter has flashed more, even if its with the 3s.
If this were a competition for starter I go Sloter all the way. He has the higher ceiling and that is what you want in a longterm answer. A guy who has the potential to win you games. For a backup though? You go with the safest option who you are pretty sure won't lose you games.

Oooh, then Sloter should be #1 right now because Cousins has never been that guy who goes out and wins you games. We have backups in the #1 and 2 slot and a possible starter in the #3. That's my Vikings. :govikes: :appl:
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:52 am I don't care that Sloter was playing third-stringers. They are all professionals and accuracy is accuracy. Mannion sucks and his play style is just as bland as his name. He is serviceable only if you want to get a top-three pick in the draft. I'm not saying Sloter is an all pro but from what we've seen on the field he's definitely better than Mannion and the fact that Zimmer doesn't recognize that is disturbing.
Zimmer can't be trusted with an offense. They should take away his keys to the offense.
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

fiestavike wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:58 am Bottom of the Class

Cousins, Rhodes, Vedvik - F

Top of the Class

Odenigbo, Kearse, Stephen, Griffen

Of Note

In the Boone v Abdullah contest, the big advantage for Abdullah is special teams and change of pace. Boone has looked good but is redundant with Cook and Mattison. In order for Boone to win out, the vikings are going to have be more comfortable with Bisi johnson (or another WR) handling primary KR and PR duties. Boone may be a guy who could fetch a 6th or 7th before cuts. More likely they try to sneak him onto the Practice Squad. Those bottom of the roster guys so often come down to versatility and special teams. I think Boone does not make the team.

Ifeadi Odenigbo has consistently created massive push against 2nd and 3rd team left tackles. He's been a standout all preseason. Mata-afa has been more inconsistent, but has flashed some of the same quickness and power. Shamar Stephen had an outstanding game at DT. Griffen looked like he might be back to his old self.

No excuses can be made for Cousins. He took a crap out there once again. His accuracy improved as he started throwing with more force instead of aiming it, but those passes lacked touch. His composure was dreadful as usual. I predict the Vikings find an escape hatch after this year (Trading or benching him) if they aren't able to find playoff success with Cousins.
Exactly why Mattison was a bad pick. We didn't need a RB. Boone and Thomas had both looked good. Now we are getting rid of a guy that serves the role perfectly fine only because we foolishly invested a 3rd rounder in another guy. The guy we are potentially cutting is leading the league in rushing this pre-season. #OnlyVikings
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:31 pm

Top of the Class

Of Note

In the Boone v Abdullah contest, the big advantage for Abdullah is special teams and change of pace. Boone has looked good but is redundant with Cook and Mattison. In order for Boone to win out, the vikings are going to have be more comfortable with Bisi johnson (or another WR) handling primary KR and PR duties. Boone may be a guy who could fetch a 6th or 7th before cuts. More likely they try to sneak him onto the Practice Squad. Those bottom of the roster guys so often come down to versatility and special teams. I think Boone does not make the team.

Ifeadi Odenigbo has consistently created massive push against 2nd and 3rd team left tackles. He's been a standout all preseason. Mata-afa has been more inconsistent, but has flashed some of the same quickness and power. Shamar Stephen had an outstanding game at DT. Griffen looked like he might be back to his old self.

No excuses can be made for Cousins. He took a crap out there once again. His accuracy improved as he started throwing with more force instead of aiming it, but those passes lacked touch. His composure was dreadful as usual. I predict the Vikings find an escape hatch after this year (Trading or benching him) if they aren't able to find playoff success with Cousins.
Exactly why Mattison was a bad pick. We didn't need a RB. Boone and Thomas had both looked good. Now we are getting rid of a guy that serves the role perfectly fine only because we foolishly invested a 3rd rounder in another guy. The guy we are potentially cutting is leading the league in rushing this pre-season. #OnlyVikings
Boone is doing fine, but he's no Mattison. He would not be a good option as RB2.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

fiestavike wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:45 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:31 pm

Boone is doing fine, but he's no Mattison. He would not be a good option as RB2.
Boone is a pre season HOFer. I've seen that before. Mattison was drafted for a reason and beat him out in camp. I hope there are some teams out there that think he's better than Mattison. We could get a 2nd rounder. But that won't happen based on a pre season game.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Top of the Class

At the top of the class, I think we have to add Dalvin Cook. I mean ... dang! That run reminded me of a young AP. When he split those two defenders, he showed serious burst. And is it me, or does he look bigger? If he can stay healthy, he's gonna be a beast.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Purple Martin wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:45 pm
If this were a competition for starter I go Sloter all the way. He has the higher ceiling and that is what you want in a longterm answer. A guy who has the potential to win you games. For a backup though? You go with the safest option who you are pretty sure won't lose you games.

Oooh, then Sloter should be #1 right now because Cousins has never been that guy who goes out and wins you games. We have backups in the #1 and 2 slot and a possible starter in the #3. That's my Vikings. :govikes: :appl:
That's a lot of yikes there, bud.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

It’s a preseason game. Cousins is arguably one of the more accurate QBs in the league but he goes 3-13 one time in a meaningless game and fans are panicking? Stump doesn’t even like cousins but is level headed enough to not worry about that.

And not making excuses for cousins but Thielen didn’t play and cousins uncle passed away hours before the game. Either way, take the game with a grain of salt. We hardly open the playbook in these games, players are resting, etc. I think Zim has lost like 2 preseason games since he’s been here but what does that mean in the end? Nothing. No different than cousins performance yesterday. It means nothing.

And enough with the Sloter train. He lights up 3rd teamers, good for him. Sure he’s intriguing but let’s be real, if the guy was THAT good, he’d be on the field somewhere. I like his confidence and swagger but I’m not gonna sit here and say the guy is the future.

Either way, it’s preseason. Baker mayfield played worse than cousins the other day. Does that mean he should be benched or is going to have a rough year because of that? No. These games carry little weight
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Did Holton Hill play?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Purple Martin wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:45 pm

The odds of Sloter being a viable starter are incredibly low, just better than Mannions.
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:38 pm It’s a preseason game. Cousins is arguably one of the more accurate QBs in the league but he goes 3-13 one time in a meaningless game and fans are panicking? Stump doesn’t even like cousins but is level headed enough to not worry about that.
So people who are worried about Cousins aren't level-headed? We have years of data on him, not just one meaningless preseason game.
And not making excuses for cousins but Thielen didn’t play and cousins uncle passed away hours before the game. Either way, take the game with a grain of salt. We hardly open the playbook in these games, players are resting, etc. I think Zim has lost like 2 preseason games since he’s been here but what does that mean in the end? Nothing. No different than cousins performance yesterday. It means nothing.
Very true. Its the fact he has those performances in the regular season too, that he can't win in primetime, that he can't beat good teams that are troubling. :D
And enough with the Sloter train. He lights up 3rd teamers, good for him. Sure he’s intriguing but let’s be real, if the guy was THAT good, he’d be on the field somewhere. I like his confidence and swagger but I’m not gonna sit here and say the guy is the future.
ROFL, thats hilarious. How would he get "on the field somewhere" if Zimmer won't let him? I don't question Zimmer's personnel decisions 9 times out of 10 because there's no reason to. There's a lot of reason to question his failure to give Sloter a chance. Coaches can be wrong you know, Zimmer is no Belicek.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:24 pm Bad blocking, overthrow, Cousins indecisive, bebe bad hands, Rhodes sucks until further notice.

On a positive note....one good run.
Yet we easily won the game 20-9 and yes I know two of those TD drives were with Sloter.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:28 pm

Top of the Class

At the top of the class, I think we have to add Dalvin Cook. I mean ... dang! That run reminded me of a young AP. When he split those two defenders, he showed serious burst. And is it me, or does he look bigger? If he can stay healthy, he's gonna be a beast.
Definitely justifiable. I didn't include him because of the low number of reps and the fact that it was a very well blocked play. In other words, I want to avoid the temptation to give rave reviews to a guy because a play resulted in 85 yards, but he did look good and he does look a bit bigger.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:38 pm It’s a preseason game. Cousins is arguably one of the more accurate QBs in the league but he goes 3-13 one time in a meaningless game and fans are panicking? Stump doesn’t even like cousins but is level headed enough to not worry about that.
The big problem is that is was another example of Cousins not being level headed. There are many factors that might explain poor production. Likewise, the conditions that caused him to panic and lose composure might also be mitigated by a more diverse offense, better weapons, better line play etc. What will never change is Kirk's propensity to panic and lose composure in those circumstances. This is a problem, and it might be a problem that limits the ceiling of a team QBed by Kirk Cousins. If it doesn't work out this year, it's time to move on from Kirk.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins