Vikes vs. Bears - Pregame Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikes vs. Bears - Pregame Thread

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

akvikingsfan wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:28 pm Since Zimmer was hired the Vikings are:

- 2-2 after the bye
- 1-2 after the bye on the road
- 2-2 at Chicago
- 6-2 against Chicago
- 0-1 at Chicago after the bye (didn't realize that we had played at Chicago after the bye until I looked these numbers up)
- 7-7 prime time games
- 3-5 prime time games on the road
- 1-1 prime time games against Chicago

My thoughts:

- who makes the Vikings schedule 3 out of 4 games after the bye are on the road? and this year will make it 4 out of 5. ridiculous (I wonder what these numbers look like for other teams, 80% road games after a bye just seems high)
- seems like a toss up when they play at Chicago (but its been that way for years)
- Losing record in prime time on the road isn't encouraging.
- .500 in prime time games is better than I thought (I didn't include Thanksgiving games)
- all of these records likely mean nothing. I thought there would be a higher correlation and more conclusions I could draw, but it appears that Zimmer is about .500 in all aspects (which is odd since he has a .610 [44-28-1] win percentage)

I believe this will be the game that determines the season. The winner will likely win the NFC North and the loser will probably miss the playoffs.
Interesting post and stats. I didn't realize those numbers about Zimmer. Some people say it's actually harder to play coming off the bye. They say it takes time to get back to game intensity and speed, especially given all the CBA restrictions on practice.

Here's where I disagree. I don't think the loser of this game is going to miss the playoffs -- not necessarily, anyway. The reason is that one of the wild card teams will come out of the NFC North. The Panthers have a leg up in the south for a wild card, but the Falcons are too far out of it. Meanwhile, except for the division leaders, there's nobody in the east or the west even threatening the playoffs. That leaves the other wild card to come out of the north.

The Packers have just as many tough games remaining as we do, with games at Seattle, Minnesota and Chicago, as well as a home game against the Falcons. The Bears also have four tough games remaining, with the Vikings twice, the Rams, and the Packers.

If I had to handicap it, I'd agree with you that the winner of Vikings-Bears this Sunday has a definite leg up in the division. But the other could still make the playoffs, and I'd still consider that team as the favorite over Green Bay. Something's off in The Land of Cheese, and I couldn't be happier about it. Look at their game Sunday against Miami. I watched that game, and Green Bay was not good. Any team with a quarterback not named Brock Osweiler would have beaten them. I think there's a good chance they get their butts handed to them on a platter this week in Seattle.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Frankly this thread needs a little "we're on to Cincinnatti."

Let's play this game and then see how things shake out. The Bears have a fairly putrid offense. They do have an easy schedule, but they are as prone to lose a stupid game as much as anyone.

As I said at the onset of this thread: This game is really on the Vikings offense to not commit stupid turnovers. If they do not commit a turnover then I would say the Vikings have a 90% chance of being victorious in this game. Trubisky is not going to put up huge yardage and/or points against our defense. We need to get our +13 down. That is the biggest reason for our issues this season. (That and kicker stupidity... man I hate that tie!)
Last edited by mansquatch on Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

It just dawned on me.

We've got this game.

Why? Because it's a Tom Compton revenge game.

Compton played for the Bears last year, but they cut him. He's gonna want to destroy these guys.

Tom Compton dominates. Vikings win. Simple.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Injury report for Wednesday:

LB Anthony Barr (hamstring) - did not participate
OL Tom Compton (knee) - limited practice
WR Stefon Diggs (rib) - full practice
DT Linval Joseph (ankle/shoulder) - full practice
TE David Morgan (knee) - did not practice
OL Mike Remmers (low back) - limited practice
CB Xavier Rhodes (foot) - limited practice
S Andrew Sendejo (groin) - did not practice
WR Adam Thielen (low Back/calf) - limited practice
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

When did Sendejo get hurt?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Vikings force Trubisky into two scores off turnovers and Dalvin Cook turns in a solid game against the Bears. Cousins sacked 5 times and hurried throughout the game but the Vikings persevere and win it 23-17.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:43 pm When did Sendejo get hurt?
It's been a while, over a month? There's some speculation this is a "Zimmer's doghouse" injury situation.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Only Morgan and Sendejo did not practice on Thurs.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

With Packers' loss last night, the opportunity we have for seizing control of the North becomes even more glaring. We HAVE to win this one.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I can see this game going either way. The Vikings have been playing better and better as the season has progressed, so hopefully the bye week didn't stall that progression. Injuries should look better and the addition of Cook now is like a making a trade for a top tier running back midseason. Despite Chicago's very good defense, I look for the Vikings to impose their will and run the ball very well on offense. Defensively, I'm worried about Trubisky's legs. So long as they have a plan for that, I think they can get after him and force a couple of turnovers.

On the flip side, if Kirk fumbles the ball while getting pressured -- as seems to be the case almost every game -- the Vikings will lose. The Bears thrive on turnovers and points off of, so you can't expect to win in Chicago against a division rival if Kirk isn't holding onto the ball. That's the one way I can see the Bears taking control of the game.
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

This is a statement game for me. If Zimm and the Vikings really want to establish that the NFC North belongs to them, it's time to prove it. Normally when the Vikings win the coin toss, they defer to the 2nd half. I think they should change that and go on the attack immediately and NOT let up.

If this team truly is a Superbowl contender/winner. It starts this week.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by purplehaze »

If we can hang until the 4th quarter I believe we win this game. Bears have been sucking all year in the 4th quarter. :govikes:
“He's like a piece of gristle. He's got a great squirt in the hole"-- Brad Childress.
Svt40
Rookie

Post by Svt40 »

StpViking wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:05 pm This is a statement game for me. If Zimm and the Vikings really want to establish that the NFC North belongs to them, it's time to prove it. Normally when the Vikings win the coin toss, they defer to the 2nd half. I think they should change that and go on the attack immediately and NOT let up.

Not sure Zim knows how to "not let up". He's all about getting a lead, no matter how small and just protecting it.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I think we lose this game. I think the Bears will beat us soundly. Their D should eat their way threw our weak (maybe weakest in the NFL?) Oline. I dont think our O will score much, mainly, because of our Oline. I dont see how a good GM can pick up a QB for a billion dollars, and pay very little attention to who is protecting himself.

I dont think this is Zimmers type of game to when either. It comest off a bye. And the Bears D is pretty dam good. I doubt we get a big lead, and if we do get a lead, Zimmer will bring out our horrific Prevent. It seems much more likely to lets teams back in the game. Also Trib is a good QB. Unless we rattle him early, I bet he has a terrific game.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Svt40 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:30 pm
StpViking wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:05 pm This is a statement game for me. If Zimm and the Vikings really want to establish that the NFC North belongs to them, it's time to prove it. Normally when the Vikings win the coin toss, they defer to the 2nd half. I think they should change that and go on the attack immediately and NOT let up.

Not sure Zim knows how to "not let up". He's all about getting a lead, no matter how small and just protecting it.
He doesn't and it's annoying. He doesn't have the OL to methodically run the ball down the field to waste clock, nor does he have the guts to stay agressive.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018