Week 1 reaction thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
VikingPaul73
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2923
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:07 pm

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by VikingPaul73 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:18 pm

I agree with DP on Waynes and PHP on Barr. Hopefully Mack can step up, Newmann has another year in the tank, and this guy Brock can pick up the system very very quickly!

I am confused why several people are so down on Barr.....He had solid stats, a great TFL....I don't remember seeing him get burned at all in coverage or against the run....Are people just disappointed he didn't make any "wow" plays or is there something specific I'm missing????

Waynes on the other hand has me very nervous. He's fast but not fluid. Not quick. He gets lost when the ball is in the air. He is great in run support which helps.


by the way, how about that special teams play on punt coverage that Kearse made!!!!! Spectacular.

I do miss CPatt on ST. He had a great play as a gunner for the Raiders on Sunday, downing the ball on the 1. I agree with what others have said about Jet receiving the ball 9 yards deep in the EZ. I'll take it a step further....if Jet receives a KO ANYWHERE in the EZ, just kneel and we can start at the 25. Done.

PS -not saying it was a mistake not keeping CPatt because $5mil is A LOT to spend on a good gunner-great KO returner-bad WR...just saying I miss watching him on ST.

User avatar
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3329
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by 808vikingsfan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:37 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Also agreed. That throw to Wright was unreal. Side arm and under pressure.
Gotta give credit to Wright too. That was a great catch.
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6908
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:11 am

Unsung: Xavier Rhodes.

I read that anyone he covered was only targeted 3 times, with 2 completions for 22 yards. I know he left with cramps at one point, but he got I.V. fluids and got back out there. If you have a corner who can take away a side of the field, it's huge for your defense.

We're going to need him to be at his best against Antonio Brown this coming Sunday.
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24445
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by dead_poet » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:10 am

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Unsung: Xavier Rhodes.

I read that anyone he covered was only targeted 3 times, with 2 completions for 22 yards. I know he left with cramps at one point, but he got I.V. fluids and got back out there. If you have a corner who can take away a side of the field, it's huge for your defense.

We're going to need him to be at his best against Antonio Brown this coming Sunday.
I worry about that matchup. Rhodes struggles with the quick types of receivers (vs the tall/fast guys). I wonder what the results have been in the past. I have faith Zimmer will help minimize Brown. But that may open things up elsewhere. Just can't let Brown have a 7-catch, 150-yard day.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
Cliff
Site Admin
Posts: 8308
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by Cliff » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:29 am

Alright, now everybody post your reactions using only gifs.
"Everyone has a plan 'til they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

User avatar
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 600
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:29 am
Contact:

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by Thaumaturgist » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:56 am

Cliff wrote:Alright, now everybody post your reactions using only gifs.
:?:

User avatar
Cliff
Site Admin
Posts: 8308
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by Cliff » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:00 am

Thaumaturgist wrote: :?:
I was mostly joking (expressing your self via gif is kind of a 'thing'). A gif being An animated image that, in this case, expresses your reaction to the game. For example, when the offense actually moved the ball well and scored touchdowns;

Image
"Everyone has a plan 'til they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24445
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by dead_poet » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:47 am

Sam won NFC Offensive Player of the Week. Cook is up for NFC Offensive Player of the Week.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 600
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:29 am
Contact:

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by Thaumaturgist » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:56 am

Cliff wrote: I was mostly joking (expressing your self via gif is kind of a 'thing'). A gif being An animated image that, in this case, expresses your reaction to the game. For example, when the offense actually moved the ball well and scored touchdowns;

Image
Image

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6908
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:09 am

dead_poet wrote: I worry about that matchup. Rhodes struggles with the quick types of receivers (vs the tall/fast guys). I wonder what the results have been in the past. I have faith Zimmer will help minimize Brown. But that may open things up elsewhere. Just can't let Brown have a 7-catch, 150-yard day.
Not sure OBJ would agree with your assessment that Rhodes struggles against quick receivers. That was the worst beatdown of a so-called superstar wideout that I have ever witnessed.

That being said, Antonio Brown is so far superior to OBJ, it's not even funny.
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6908
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:10 am

dead_poet wrote:Sam won NFC Offensive Player of the Week. Cook is up for NFC Offensive Player of the Week.
Yet ... neither of them were up for FedEx Air and Ground players of the week.

I do not understand such things.
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
petev_sj
Veteran
Posts: 213
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:56 pm

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by petev_sj » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:59 am

Cliff wrote:Alright, now everybody post your reactions using only gifs.
Image

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5277
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:06 am

dead_poet wrote: I seriously get Chris Cook flashbacks. I'll give him until the bye.
Waynes is nowhere near Chris Cook. Lets not forget all the plays Waynes made last year as well and how he won us the game vs. GB at home. Chris Cook never had an interception in his career. He literally never made plays. Waynes does. It's just I feel that since Rhodes is such a shutdown CB, everyone holds Waynes to the same standard. Watch Zim's press conference when they ask him about Waynes. He said outside of the double move he got beat on, he did his job. The shorter throws werent necessarily on him is also what Zim said. He said there were LBs and S's that were out of position there. As for the TD, like I said, that was a great throw and catch as well as very good defense. I'm not going to get on him for that. Either way, I'm not giving him until the bye. It's not like he's getting torched so bad that he's costing us games like Cook was half the time. It's a lot of dink and dunk for the most part. He rarely gets beat on the deep ball.
Image

User avatar
Grashopa
Franchise Player
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:03 am

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by Grashopa » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:45 am

dead_poet wrote:Cook is up for NFC Offensive Player of the Week.
This is odd to me. Seems to me that Cook was the 3rd or 4th best offensive player just on our team Monday night (Bradford>Diggs>Thielen/Cook...). But and impressive debut nonetheless and i will never turn down accolades.
Formerly AADPFan

User avatar
Grashopa
Franchise Player
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:03 am

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by Grashopa » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:53 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Waynes is nowhere near Chris Cook. Lets not forget all the plays Waynes made last year as well and how he won us the game vs. GB at home. Chris Cook never had an interception in his career. He literally never made plays. Waynes does. It's just I feel that since Rhodes is such a shutdown CB, everyone holds Waynes to the same standard. Watch Zim's press conference when they ask him about Waynes. He said outside of the double move he got beat on, he did his job. The shorter throws werent necessarily on him is also what Zim said. He said there were LBs and S's that were out of position there. As for the TD, like I said, that was a great throw and catch as well as very good defense. I'm not going to get on him for that. Either way, I'm not giving him until the bye. It's not like he's getting torched so bad that he's costing us games like Cook was half the time. It's a lot of dink and dunk for the most part. He rarely gets beat on the deep ball.
I always thought Chris Cook covered very well and was always in the right position but for some reason pass breakups and interceptions eluded him. Rhodes isn't any better in the interception department, but he covers so well that they don't pass his way and he breaks up the passes that do come his way or at least tackles immediately after the catch.
Formerly AADPFan

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24445
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by dead_poet » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:21 pm

Grashopa wrote: This is odd to me. Seems to me that Cook was the 3rd or 4th best offensive player just on our team Monday night (Bradford>Diggs>Thielen/Cook...). But and impressive debut nonetheless and i will never turn down accolades.
That should read rookie. Sorry.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3456
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Location: Coon Rapids, MN

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by mansquatch » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:35 pm

Grashopa wrote: I always thought Chris Cook covered very well and was always in the right position but for some reason pass breakups and interceptions eluded him. Rhodes isn't any better in the interception department, but he covers so well that they don't pass his way and he breaks up the passes that do come his way or at least tackles immediately after the catch.
Our defense seems to be more about shutting down the opposition. There is nobody open, everyone is covered, etc. In order to get a INT it requires the QB to make a mistake. They can do things to bait that, but a QB like Brees isn't likely to fall for it. Big Ben this week probably will also not make the costly error. Still, if we keep them out of the end zone and do not allow them to maintain possession then we are likely to win. Think about what we saw on Monday, NO was in the redzone 5 times in that game, but came away with only 19 points. That is impressive defense IMO.

The big issue we had last season was that we'd get performances like what we saw on Monday from our Defense, but our offense struggled to hold up it's end of the bargain and score the 20-22 points needed to secure a win. That wasn't the case on Monday. Hopefully against better defensive opponents it will continue to not be the case.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi

autobon7
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1030
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by autobon7 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:59 pm

https://media.giphy.com/media/l2JhKP1MQ ... source.gif

Trying to figure out how to add this gif.....at work lol

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18383
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by PurpleMustReign » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:12 pm

I don't think Waynes on Brown would be a terrible match up. Who else does PIT have for WRs?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

autobon7
All Pro Elite Player
Posts: 1030
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by autobon7 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:18 pm

PurpleMustReign wrote:I don't think Waynes on Brown would be a terrible match up. Who else does PIT have for WRs?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Martavis Bryant & Darrius Heyward-Bey

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24445
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by dead_poet » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:17 pm

PurpleMustReign wrote:I don't think Waynes on Brown would be a terrible match up. Who else does PIT have for WRs?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Holy crap I disagree vehemently.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18383
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by PurpleMustReign » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:34 pm

dead_poet wrote: Holy crap I disagree vehemently.
Who else besides Rhodes would you put on him?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
MikethePurple
Starter
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:08 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by MikethePurple » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:45 pm

PurpleMustReign wrote:Who else besides Rhodes would you put on him?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Rhodes plus a safety.

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24445
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by dead_poet » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:49 pm

MikethePurple wrote: Rhodes plus a safety.
This. Rhodes should shadow him. Waynes on DHB or (gulp) Bryant.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
MikethePurple
Starter
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:08 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by MikethePurple » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:06 pm

dead_poet wrote: This. Rhodes should shadow him. Waynes on DHB or (gulp) Bryant.
Yes, I'm still hoping that Waynes gets it figured out. He just allows too many completions. Granted he tackles well once they catch it but he really needs to work on ball awareness to prevent catches. And, I'm not just referring to when they were in obvious prevent mode. I think I heard a stat that he allowed catches on like 9 out of 11 targets?

User avatar
Cliff
Site Admin
Posts: 8308
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by Cliff » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:33 pm

If Waynes can get over closing his eyes, flailing his arms around like the ball is made of bees, and instead actually track the ball l think he'll be really good.

As he is now though I expect a rough game for our secondary.
"Everyone has a plan 'til they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

User avatar
MikethePurple
Starter
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:08 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by MikethePurple » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:21 pm

Cliff wrote:If Waynes can get over closing his eyes, flailing his arms around like the ball is made of bees, and instead actually track the ball l think he'll be really good.

As he is now though I expect a rough game for our secondary.

:rofl: This is giving me the best mental picture and wishing I had some photo shopping software.

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24445
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by dead_poet » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:35 pm

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Lets not forget all the plays Waynes made last year as well and how he won us the game vs. GB at home.
What plays?

As far as the GB game, he was abysmal the entire time prior to that. Yes, he made that pick but you do realize he gave up seven passes for 98 yards and a touchdown, and also was penalized three times in coverage. In 2016 his four defensive pass interference flags tied for seventh-most in the league despite being a part-time player. His 63.0 rating on PFF 2016 grades ranked 85th among corners.
Chris Cook never had an interception in his career. He literally never made plays. Waynes does. It's just I feel that since Rhodes is such a shutdown CB, everyone holds Waynes to the same standard.
Absolutely not. I don't expect Waynes to be at Rhodes' level. Few cornerbacks are. But when he gets picked on time and again and allows 80-90% of passes to be completed, come on. You don't have higher standards for a corner than that?
Watch Zim's press conference when they ask him about Waynes. He said outside of the double move he got beat on, he did his job. The shorter throws werent necessarily on him is also what Zim said. He said there were LBs and S's that were out of position there.
But he also wasn't part of the solution. His coverage responsibility consistently caught the ball. Just because others also didn't give him any help doesn't absolve him of failing to prevent the completions.
As for the TD, like I said, that was a great throw and catch as well as very good defense.
It was good coverage but, yet again, he didn't prevent the completion. That's the story with him. And that's the problem.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24445
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by dead_poet » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:38 pm

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Not sure OBJ would agree with your assessment that Rhodes struggles against quick receivers. That was the worst beatdown of a so-called superstar wideout that I have ever witnessed.
I put OBJ in the Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Julio Jones mold. AB is more Percy Harvin/Stefon Diggs. Quick-twitch, great route-runners (though Harvin may not have qualified for the latter but hopefully I'm communicating the distinction).
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24445
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Week 1 reaction thread

Post by dead_poet » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:45 pm

After seeing the practice report about Barr's hamstring, I'll give him a pass for the first game. He may have been gutting it out in the second half. Although I'm frankly sick of him always seemingly being injured. The fact that he didn't even practice in a limited capacity makes me skeptical he'll play on Sunday, which is not ideal for containing Bell and getting to Ben.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

Post Reply