Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay cut

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

losperros
Commissioner

Re: Vikings RB Adrian Peterson wants to return, open to pay

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:In addition to the inept OL play, a lot of responsibility has to go on the Vikings passing game during those games too. Defenses weren't worried about the likes of Teddy Bridgewater or Shaun Hill beating them and Peterson barely played with Bradford (not that the Vikings passing game was striking fear into anybody last year either). They were worried about and focused on Peterson and when you combine that dynamic with terrible blocking, of course he struggled at times. That culminated in the first game of last season, which was probably the worst run-blocking performance I've ever seen from an offensive line. He barely had a chance to gain positive yardage in that game.
I couldn't agree more about the passing game. AD was always the main focus of any opposing defense. The Vikings couldn't throw the ball well enough to avoid it. I don't know. I can't help but think some poor planning went into the offense, given the holes that it had and may still have.
Mothman wrote:Then again, I'm extremely frustrated with the front office and coaching staff at this point. I suspect they'll all be as gone as Peterson in a few years. :(
Same here. I believe the offense is riddled with problems and the core of it all doesn't begin or end with just the players.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

fiestavike wrote:If the Vikings cut him, and the actual market for his services is 4 million on a prove it 1-2 year contract, does anyone else think we might just see Peterson retire?
No. I think he's a record chaser. Wants more yards and TDs. Wants to cement his place in the HOF.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I think best case scenario for the Vikings is probably a sign and trade deal for a 4th round pick, but if they keep him and he stays healthy, the question will remain how effective he can be in Shurmur's offense. I don't see it as a fit, and I think even if he were, he's a risk because of age/injury concerns.

Some kind of thunder/lighting backfield makes more sense to me, with McKinnon/Lacy or Jacquiz/Blount, or some players like that who should come cheaper.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote:I think best case scenario for the Vikings is probably a sign and trade deal for a 4th round pick, but if they keep him and he stays healthy, the question will remain how effective he can be in Shurmur's offense. I don't see it as a fit, and I think even if he were, he's a risk because of age/injury concerns.

Some kind of thunder/lighting backfield makes more sense to me, with McKinnon/Lacy or Jacquiz/Blount, or some players like that who should come cheaper.
If we keep AP and sign someone in FA I'll puke. You are an absolute idiot if you fail to draft a RB in this draft class
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

‏@TomPelissero

Note on Adrian Peterson contract: in 2015 restructure, 2017 converted to option. So, if declined and he leaves, #Vikings could get comp pick
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

808vikingsfan wrote:

That would be nice.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: If we keep AP and sign someone in FA I'll puke. You are an absolute idiot if you fail to draft a RB in this draft class
I'm not sure how you got the impression that I suggested we keep AP and sign a free agent...or that suggested we shouldn't draft a RB. Since i'm not a GM, and I won't be drafting a RB in this class personally, I'm pretty sure I'll just be an absolute idiot.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: I'm not sure how you got the impression that I suggested we keep AP and sign a free agent...or that suggested we shouldn't draft a RB. Since i'm not a GM, and I won't be drafting a RB in this class personally, I'm pretty sure I'll just be an absolute idiot.
I wasnt calling you an idiot directly. I was saying in Spielman's case, you are an idiot if you dont draft a RB in this class. This was more of just a general post. I guess I probably shouldnt have quoted yours. I was just saying in general if we kept him and signed a FA instead of drafting, Spielman is an idiot
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
I wasnt calling you an idiot directly. I was saying in Spielman's case, you are an idiot if you dont draft a RB in this class. This was more of just a general post. I guess I probably shouldnt have quoted yours. I was just saying in general if we kept him and signed a FA instead of drafting, Spielman is an idiot
Ok, I see.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: Ok, I see.
Sorry about the confusion. Didnt mean anything by it
-Chazz Palminteri
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Just get the feeling watching Spielman AP has played his final snap here. Hope I'm wrong as I'd love to see him back at a reduced salary but I'm already writing a return off.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

We currently have $21 million in cap space for 2017. If we cut AP we free up another $18 million, nearly doubling our cap space instantly.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

I'm all for releasing Peterson. But part of me wants to see him break a few one last time (in purple).

Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

chicagopurple wrote:the LAST thing I wanna do is watch AP run out the fading days of his career in purple, repetitively injured and off the field, eating up cap space, and getting in the way of our team progress. Modern day players are NOT going to take significant pay cuts to "finish their career in purple". Its a business to both players and owners and keeping an aging RB will be a bad move, certainly NOT the move of a team trying to win a Super Bowl....as the Pats if they would keep an old broken RB on the team.......

Agreed, Especially a RB who has to come out of the game on 3d and long, and catch catch passess out of the Backfield.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I'm guessing they'd really like to trade him, even if they only get a 7th, so they can have some control over where he goes (and especially where he doesn't go). Obviously he'd have to work out a deal with a team. It could even explain why Peterson is publicly courting teams. The brass might be encouraging him to see if he can work out a deal so they can ship him off.

I think there is a chance that his pride won't let him play next season if the market for his services is as soft as I think it could be.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins