Could Adam Thielen play TE?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Could Adam Thielen play TE?

Post by DK Sweets »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Because he has been given more opportunities then Thielen. It impossible to make a comparison when one hasn't had a chance to show how good (or bad) he is. Ive seen Wright. I bet if I looked up his numbers, they would be closer to the bottom of the portion of WRs with the same playing time. Yahtzee!
Yahtzee?

I feel like you have forgotten the Oline and WRs thread. Jarius is actually producing decent numbers on a wretched passing offense and he's more physically gifted.

When Jarius wasn't seeing time in the preseason it was because he supposedly wasn't very good. Why is the script different for Thielen in the regular season? And why do you assume you know better than the coaches?
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Oh, I have no idea if Thielen is a better WR. Or better in the slot. I would love to see what he has though. And we wont see that with Wright playing. Wright is a very streaky player. And sometimes a QB can get a feel for a WR. I would like to see if he can get one in Thielen. Again, just a gut feeling, because he hasn't had a chance yet to get many opportunities. Kinda like Mckinnon wasn't getting the time Asiata was, but now that he has, he has proven he is a better RB.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Oh, I have no idea if Thielen is a better WR. Or better in the slot. I would love to see what he has though. And we wont see that with Wright playing. Wright is a very streaky player. And sometimes a QB can get a feel for a WR. I would like to see if he can get one in Thielen. Again, just a gut feeling, because he hasn't had a chance yet to get many opportunities. Kinda like Mckinnon wasn't getting the time Asiata was, but now that he has, he has proven he is a better RB.
Yeah but that is a very poor example. Everyone and their mother knew McKinnon was the superior athlete to Asiata. What does Thielen have over Wright?? Height?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Yeah but that is a very poor example. Everyone and their mother knew McKinnon was the superior athlete to Asiata. What does Thielen have over Wright?? Height?
Thats what I was going to point out, too. The only argument I can see there is McKinnon needed some time to learn his position, and possibly Thielen would fall in the same category, but he's also had more time than McKinnon. I just feel like if Thielen was as good as PK thinks, the cream would have risen to the top, but instead he's fallen beneath a player that we brought in after training camp. That's not a good sign. And again, it's not like Wright hasn't made any big plays for us.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

DKSweets wrote:Yeah but that is a very poor example. Everyone and their mother knew McKinnon was the superior athlete to Asiata. What does Thielen have over Wright?? Height?
Thats what I was going to point out, too. The only argument I can see there is McKinnon needed some time to learn his position, and possibly Thielen would fall in the same category, but he's also had more time than McKinnon. I just feel like if Thielen was as good as PK thinks, the cream would have risen to the top, but instead he's fallen beneath a player that we brought in after training camp. That's not a good sign. And again, it's not like Wright hasn't made any big plays for us.[/quote]

He's made a quite a few in his Vikings career

I think speed might be the main reason Johnson has been getting playing time over Thielen. They're running him on quite a few deep routes and he's getting open. Johnson's fast and the Vikes are in need of a more effective deep passing game so it makes sense.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Because he has been given more opportunities then Thielen. It impossible to make a comparison when one hasn't had a chance to show how good (or bad) he is. Ive seen Wright. I bet if I looked up his numbers, they would be closer to the bottom of the portion of WRs with the same playing time. Yahtzee!
Yahtzee?

Wow. Really? A '60s board game reference? OK.

The key here is the phrase "I bet if I looked up his numbers." If you haven't actually looked them up, how can it be ... Yahtzee?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Yahtzee?

The key here is the phrase "I bet if I looked up his numbers." If you haven't actually looked them up, how can it be ... Yahtzee?
He didn't look up his numbers but the numbers show he is in the top 3rd in the league for #3 WRs. So regardless he's pretty off base
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Yahtzee?

The Yahtzee comment was an attempt at humor, for PHP's comment Bingo! You would think I would have learned by now that things I think are funny don't translate very well. He and I disagree completely about the role Rick has played in the Vikings management.

My point is, Thielen hasn't been given the chance to play WR very often. That's why I have no data on what he could or couldn't do. But to me, he seemed the better WR. Wright is either very streaky, or he doesn't get open. And we cant assume he isn't good because the coaching staff hasn't had in as the #2 or #3 WR much, because we know from history, sometimes players, if given the chance, are a hit. And until Wright has a great game, I personally would like to see Thielen given a shot or two. I am glad to see Johnson getting some chances.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: The Yahtzee comment was an attempt at humor, for PHP's comment Bingo! You would think I would have learned by now that things I think are funny don't translate very well. He and I disagree completely about the role Rick has played in the Vikings management.

My point is, Thielen hasn't been given the chance to play WR very often. That's why I have no data on what he could or couldn't do. But to me, he seemed the better WR. Wright is either very streaky, or he doesn't get open. And we cant assume he isn't good because the coaching staff hasn't had in as the #2 or #3 WR much, because we know from history, sometimes players, if given the chance, are a hit. And until Wright has a great game, I personally would like to see Thielen given a shot or two. I am glad to see Johnson getting some chances.
I know what you were doing.

Here's the deal. First of all, Wright HAS had a great game ... 8 catches for 132 yards against Atlanta, easily the best game by a Vikings receiver this year. He also had 4 catches for 60 yards against Buffalo, which, on the Vikings, qualifies as a pretty good game.

The truth is, nobody in the Vikings receiving corps has truly distinguished himself. However, if anybody has, it's Wright. He's the only Vikings receiver with a 100-yard game this year and has had some other important receptions. He's only 5 catches behind Greg Jennings, the team leader, and 1 catch behind Cordarrelle Patterson, but on 11 and 12 fewer targets, respectively. He's been a solid #3.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
The truth is, nobody in the Vikings receiving corps has truly distinguished himself. However, if anybody has, it's Wright. He's the only Vikings receiver with a 100-yard game this year and has had some other important receptions. He's only 5 catches behind Greg Jennings, the team leader, and 1 catch behind Cordarrelle Patterson, but on 11 and 12 fewer targets, respectively. He's been a solid #3.
I never even thought about that, wow that's horrible.
This space available for rent.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleHalo wrote: I never even thought about that, wow that's horrible.
Well, it speaks well of Wright's game. :)

I think they miss Rudolph. Ford's done okay filling in for him as a receiver but with reach reduced or missing threat, the passing game becomes easier to defend. Patterson's been hurt. He and Wright are both pretty inconsistent getting off jams. Bridgewater hasn't been able to connect deep with Johnson yet and the OL's been too "friendly" to opposing defenses. Add in that Bridgewater is a rookie and I think the Vikes passing game is just a little too easy to defend right now. I get the feeling when watching Jennings that he could be having a much better season under different surrounding circumstances but Patterson is now healthy again and hopefully, the Vikes can resolve some other issues. Improve that protection, get Rudolph back, connect on a deep shot or two and things could really start looking up in the second half of the season.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Mothman wrote: Well, it speaks well of Wright's game. :)

I think they miss Rudolph. Ford's done okay filling in for him as a receiver but with reach reduced or missing threat, the passing game becomes easier to defend. Patterson's been hurt. He and Wright are both pretty inconsistent getting off jams. Bridgewater hasn't been able to connect deep with Johnson yet and the OL's been too "friendly" to opposing defenses. Add in that Bridgewater is a rookie and I think the Vikes passing game is just a little too easy to defend right now. I get the feeling when watching Jennings that he could be having a much better season under different surrounding circumstances but Patterson is now healthy again and hopefully, the Vikes can resolve some other issues. Improve that protection, get Rudolph back, connect on a deep shot or two and things could really start looking up in the second half of the season.
I think you are right on the money about Greg. He runs such good routes, he's able to create separation without elite physical talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Mothman wrote: Well, it speaks well of Wright's game. :)

Wait I never heard about any injury Patterson has been battling. What is hurt on Patterson?
This space available for rent.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote: But to me, he seemed the better WR.
I dont understand where you get this from though. By what everyone is saying and by his numbers, Wright is much better than you give him credit for. However, my big question is, what about Thielen makes him better than Wright?? You've barely seen him play so how can you say he is better???
-Chazz Palminteri
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Oh, I have no idea if Thielen is a better WR. Or better in the slot. I would love to see what he has though. And we wont see that with Wright playing. Wright is a very streaky player. And sometimes a QB can get a feel for a WR. I would like to see if he can get one in Thielen. Again, just a gut feeling, because he hasn't had a chance yet to get many opportunities. Kinda like Mckinnon wasn't getting the time Asiata was, but now that he has, he has proven he is a better RB.
I can see that. I like Wright and think he has been our best receiver so far this year, but I would like to see Thielen get more opportunities also. With all the trouble our receivers have had getting off the line, why not see what we have behind them? Maybe someone could do better in a real game situation. If it aint workin', fix it.