Brian Robison: weak sauce

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Brian Robison: weak sauce

Post by Mothman »

The Access Vikings video on the front of the Strib's Vikings page contains some thoughts about this subject:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/

The video is titled Access Vikings: Strong play spread out across the defensive line.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

PacificNorseWest wrote:One person getting pressue can almost be counter productive against a quarterback who knows how to move in the pocket. However -- and I think this is what Zimmer alludes to when he talks about it essentially not mattering who gets sacks because it's all a product of other guys doing their job -- when multiple players get pressure on the quarterback it collapses the pocket where any number of great things can happen for the defense more times than not. Passing lanes limited or restricted, rushed throws leading to inaccurate ones, possible strip of the football and of course sacks.

And I think another large factor is the secondary's ability to cover. If one guy is getting pressure, but the quarterback simply steps up to a wide open receiver, it's all within rhythym and a fairly easy play to make. An entire unit that is great at getting to the quarterback can make a secondary better than it really might be with a lesser line or at least hides their ineffeciencies to a point. See: Detroit Lions.
I agree wholeheartedly. We get so bogged down in a numbers game sometimes (odd coming from the guy who is evaluating Spielman's draft by the numbers, I know!) without taking a look at them in context. It is obvious Robison has some adjusting to do. I think he is one of those players who likes to gun for the QB, since he also did that at Texas. So, he is really learning a new scheme for himself. I think there have been marked improvements across the board with the defense, because now they seem to be playing as a unit, instead of playing as individuals.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: At the end of the day, do pressures really mean anything though? Look at Kenechi Udeze. In 2006 he started EVERY game and was sack less. He led the NFL pressures though. The result? Our defense still ranked dead last in pass yards per game allowed.

Cumulative pressure can affect a QB, but it doesn't mean anything if you cannot finish and get the sack. Especially nowadays where so many QBs are adept at throwing under duress. Getting a sack typically involves negative yardage and stalls a down-series, whereas pressuring may simply hurry a throw, but there is a pretty good chance that ball is getting completed.

To me, pressures are a worthless feel-good statistic. But that is just me personally.
Exactly. Watch his play, if he's disruptive week to week, fine. He's not. Hence this thread...every other starter and a couple backups are having more of an impact than he is.

Why does it feel like every player on the team just *has* to be better than the general fan consensus of where they are at? :wallbang:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Demi wrote: Exactly. Watch his play, if he's disruptive week to week, fine. He's not. Hence this thread...every other starter and a couple backups are having more of an impact than he is.

Why does it feel like every player on the team just *has* to be better than the general fan consensus of where they are at? :wallbang:
Not saying that. I'm saying he has been our most effective and consistent defensive lineman we've had in the last 3 years and since he's off to a slow start people are saying we need to trade him or get rid of him. Also he must be somewhat disruptive if he has the 2nd most hurries in the NFL. If he was stalemated at the line week in and week out then I would understand but that's not happening. Its just since he doesn't have enough sacks to currently please you, he "isn't good". If he's "not good" then how does he have 8-9 sacks every year for 3 years?? Sorry but PKs "Jared Allen was getting doubled" argument doesn't work since every sack he has had that I have found on video shows Allen going 1 on 1
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

CbusVikesFan wrote: lmao. Yea, next time I play the lotto, I want to miss all the numbers by one. So I can scream, "I was close!"
for you:

The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

PacificNorseWest wrote:One person getting pressue can almost be counter productive against a quarterback who knows how to move in the pocket. However -- and I think this is what Zimmer alludes to when he talks about it essentially not mattering who gets sacks because it's all a product of other guys doing their job -- when multiple players get pressure on the quarterback it collapses the pocket where any number of great things can happen for the defense more times than not. Passing lanes limited or restricted, rushed throws leading to inaccurate ones, possible strip of the football and of course sacks.

And I think another large factor is the secondary's ability to cover. If one guy is getting pressure, but the quarterback simply steps up to a wide open receiver, it's all within rhythym and a fairly easy play to make. An entire unit that is great at getting to the quarterback can make a secondary better than it really might be with a lesser line or at least hides their ineffeciencies to a point. See: Detroit Lions.
great points.... :thumbsup:
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

The Breeze wrote: for you:

That is just wrong. :wallbang:
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
mmvikes
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by mmvikes »

BGM wrote:Robison excelled as a secondary threat. When he had Allen across from him to eat up blockers, he was free to roam and make noise. I think Griffen gets his results because offenses focus more on stopping Robison, based more probably on his reputation than on his reality. What I would like to see is two real bookend DEs who can bring consistent pressure and collapse the pocket. Are there any teams out there who currently have that?

Yeah. The Minnesota Vikings
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

CbusVikesFan wrote: That is just wrong. :wallbang:

I hate to be "that guy", but technically this isn't "close". It is in fact mathematically tied for as far from winning the lottery as is possible.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

saint33 wrote:
I hate to be "that guy", but technically this isn't "close". It is in fact mathematically tied for as far from winning the lottery as is possible.
like dying of dehydration on a life raft in the ocean
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

saint33 wrote:

Pretty much the textbook definition of having the unluckiest luck.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Demi wrote: Exactly. Watch his play, if he's disruptive week to week, fine. He's not. Hence this thread...every other starter and a couple backups are having more of an impact than he is.

When he gets hurries, it's a useless stat. When he ranks in the top 30 in sacks every season for the past three years, it's a useless stat. Is it possible that it's not the numbers that are wrong, but your perception of the player?
BGM wrote:Robison excelled as a secondary threat. When he had Allen across from him to eat up blockers, he was free to roam and make noise. I think Griffen gets his results because offenses focus more on stopping Robison, based more probably on his reputation than on his reality. What I would like to see is two real bookend DEs who can bring consistent pressure and collapse the pocket. Are there any teams out there who currently have that?
Kansas City Chiefs have an awesome tandem on LBs in Tamba Hali and Justin Houston. They tied for 11th in sacks last season.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

When he gets hurries, it's a useless stat. When he ranks in the top 30 in sacks every season for the past three years, it's a useless stat. Is it possible that it's not the numbers that are wrong, but your perception of the player?
Top 30? So he barely cracks the "average" mark in the statistic? That's kind of my perception and point, he's an average defensive end on his best day...
Go ahead and focus on him a bit more and you'll see the truth! My perception is reality! :assimilate
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Demi wrote: Top 30? So he barely cracks the "average" mark in the statistic? That's kind of my perception and point, he's an average defensive end on his best day...
Go ahead and focus on him a bit more and you'll see the truth! My perception is reality! :assimilate
Actually, he ranked in the top 15 for DEs every year during that period. :)
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

way to earn the big bucks Jennings.