2014 Vikings Training Camp notes/interviews

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2014 Vikings Training Camp notes/interviews

Post by dead_poet »

Mike Zimmer told me Teddy Bridgewater will get reps with the 1s in preseason games. Need that info for making a call on a starter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Surprisingly, yes. Harrison Smith is obviously a lock to start, but Robert Blanton has a leg up on Jamarca Sanford and Kurt Coleman at this point. Andrew Sendejo still hasn’t participated with a back injury, and he’s pretty behind at this point with a new scheme. Head coach Mike Zimmer said he likes how smart Blanton plays but wants to see his instincts and ability to tackle. At this point, expect Blanton to start the first preseason game against the Raiders next Friday to give Zimmer a good gauge on how Blanton can react in those situations.
I'm still amazed at how Mistral Raymond has completely fallen out of the discussion for the other starting safety job. It seems like yesterday that he was the starter ahead of Jamarca Sanford.

If the Vikings can get improved play out of a few of their longer-term projects this year, it could be huge. Robert Blanton leads the list in that regard.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

dead_poet wrote:Some .gifs of Barr blowing past Felton and McKinnon:

Vikings 4 Downs: Blanton, Barr, Leonard, winning

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 36371.html
Making Felton look silly was impressive. But I don't even want to think about the 5'2" McKinnon trying to block 6'5" DEs and OLBs. Someone will get hurt. If McKinnon doesn't become a great blocker in a big hurry, he's going to be of very little use as a 3rd down back, which I see as the main reason for drafting him.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote:Making Felton look silly was impressive. But I don't even want to think about the 5'2" McKinnon trying to block 6'5" DEs and OLBs. Someone will get hurt.
If Norv doesn't want AD blocking DEs, I would hope he doesn't want McKinnon blocking them either. Most RBs are going to lose a matchup against a rushing 6' 5" defender.
If McKinnon doesn't become a great blocker in a big hurry, he's going to be of very little use as a 3rd down back, which I see as the main reason for drafting him.
I hope that wasn't the main reason they drafted him and I hope they'll be inventive with him. Given what Turner has said about Peterson's blocking and the talk of throwing to him more, perhaps Peterson will be the third down back the majority of the time and McKinnon will be used as more of a "change of pace" back.

It will be interesting to see what they do with him. I don't expect him to have a substantial role as a rookie anyway.
Last edited by Mothman on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Mothman wrote: If Norv doesn't want Ad blocking DEs, I would hope he doesn't want McKinnon blocking them either. Most RBs are going to lose a matchup against a rushing 6' 5" defender.
Is that realistic? You have DE/OLBs blitzing inside and blitzing outside, you have stunting on the defensive line. The RB typically has to block whoever comes free. He doesn't get to choose.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote: Is that realistic? You have DE/OLBs blitzing inside and blitzing outside, you have stunting on the defensive line. The RB typically has to block whoever comes free. He doesn't get to choose.
I suppose it depends on play design, formation, etc. but I think it's realistic. It's primarily a question of everybody understanding their responsibilities. Sometimes a halfback might get stuck blocking a DE who didn't get picked up and it will end up being a mismatch but as I said, that's always going to be a mismatch. However, you can scheme so that the linemen and TEs are picking up the defensive linemen and the backs have to pick up blitzing LBs or DBs.

I certainly think the Vikings should be able to design plays so that, the vast majority of the time, McKinnon won't be asked to block a d-lineman.

Jim
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Mothman wrote: If Norv doesn't want AD blocking DEs, I would hope he doesn't want McKinnon blocking them either. Most RBs are going to lose a matchup against a rushing 6' 5" defender.
Well, it's not quite as imposing in real game action though. Any coach will be the first to tell you about the leverage that any blocker will have over a tall rushing end or backer once you cut him at the thighs (formerly knees).

Unfortunately, the rules of today's NFL and the nature of the game lend itself to a more offensively skilled running back as opposed to an all-around type. Pampering, pretty much. I would be completely confident in AP blocking anyone in the League, but his lack of experience in that area coupled with the resilience of the coaching staff to utilize him as such and that potential for injury makes it fairly easy to understand.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

PacificNorseWest wrote:I would be completely confident in AP blocking anyone in the League, but his lack of experience in that area
He's a bloody seven year veteran. If he hasn't learned it by now, he never will.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Never said he will.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote:Well, it's not quite as imposing in real game action though. Any coach will be the first to tell you about the leverage that any blocker will have over a tall rushing end or backer once you cut him at the thighs (formerly knees).
That's true, IF you can cut him at the thighs... :) That's a block that only works a certain percentage of the time because it requires good position to gain that leverage advantage.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote: He's a bloody seven year veteran. If he hasn't learned it by now, he never will.
Guys, he's already learned it. Watch him. He makes quite a few good blocks. He has room to improve but it's not as if he hasn't learned how to execute a good block.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Thanks for the links. I liked reading this:
SHERELS STILL SCRAPPING AT CB: Another camp, another round of "Ya know, Marcus Sherels might not make this team" talk. It happened last year, when he made the team and set a team record while finishing second in the league in punt return average. This year, when one looks at all the young cornerbacks on the roster, one catches himself thinking that Sherels, a cornerback, could be in trouble again since it's difficult to keep a player who only returns punts. Well, maybe it's time to stop thinking this way about the former Gopher. Not only is he an excellent punt returner, he's also a reliable backup kickoff returner, which has come in handy this camp with Cordarrelle Patterson sidelined. Plus, Sherels always bails this team out when its other corners get hurt, get in trouble or flat-out can't play. He's a scrappy little guy who gets in proper position more often than most of us give him credit for. He did that perfectly during an individual drill. Giving up five inches in height to receiver Kamar Jordan, Sherels undercut the pass route, reached through Smith's arms and swatted a pass away incomplete. Sherels isn't a starting-caliber corner. But he's a good enough backup to earn a roster spot as a key return guy.
Sherels is one of those "underdog" players I enjoy supporting. I hope he makes the team again.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

From the first link...
YOUR DAILY QUARTERBACK SMORGASBORG: Here's something you don't overhear very often when you're around the Vikings these days: "I wish Christian Ponder had played more." That unidentified fan was bemoaning the fact that Ponder, the No. 3 quarterback, played virtually no role in tonight's practice. He threw two passes, going 1 of 2 with a touchdown during the goal-line session. Nothing changed in the QB competion -- again. Matt Cassel worked with the first unit, rookie Teddy Bridgewater with the second unit and Ponder with the third unit. The third-team reps were more limited tonight that they have been in previous training camp practices. Cassel completed 6 of 9 passes, including touchdown passes to Rhett Ellison and Matt Asiata during the goal-line session. Bridgewater completed 7 of 8 passes, including a touchdown pass to fullback Zach Line during the goal-line session. So far in camp, Bridgewater has remained with the second unit. But look for that to change as he gets some first-team reps. It's coming. He seems to be getting more comfortable. He's got that quick release and he seems to trust himself. When first-round picks do that, they're going to be moved up the ladder. Teddy seems like he'll be a climber, not a slider.
First-round pick Anthony Barr showed his speed as a pass-rusher in a sack, so to speak, of Cassel during 11-on-11 work. Barr surged through the middle of the Vikings' line on a blitz, getting to Cassel as the play was blown dead (quarterbacks, of course, aren't allowed to get hit during training camp). He's mostly worked with the second team, but has had a handful of first-team snaps. He might have to get past Audie Cole for the starting strong-side linebacker job early in the season, but Barr's size and speed has the Vikings excited about what they're seeing.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

I'm going to go watch training camp this weekend, exited to see Barr and Crichton and the other rookies,also want to see if the attitude is a lot different than last years camp. Going to Ribfest is just an added bonus.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

808vikingsfan wrote:quote]Solid Investment: Jerick McKinnon, RB: Here's the deal with McKinnon...he's got all the tools to be a very good starting running back in the NFL. From his work ethic, to his attitude, combined with his natural ability, McKinnon has the tools to be a a number one on the depth chart guy. Speaking of his tools...his speed is something that's difficult to describe if you haven't seen it first hand. I tweeted this out the other day, but it bears repeating--I never saw Randy Moss in a training camp setting, but I have seen Percy Harvin and Adrian Peterson. I am convinced McKinnon could beat both of them in a flat run. He's got a lot to learn, but he's had a pretty good camp so far.
That's a race I'd like to see.

Thanks for the link. Here area few more quotes:
Sell: Matt Cassel losing his starting job anytime soon. All those great things about Bridgewater aside, Cassel has looked very good so far. If the season were to open today Cassel would be your starting quarterback for two simple reasons. For one, Cassel has done nothing in terms of his play to warrant being benched in favor of Bridgewater. And secondly, Bridgewater hasn't played at a level that would warrant him getting the nod over Cassel.
Ah, but the season doesn't open today. The opener is well over a month away. Bridgewater may not have played at a level that warrants him getting the starting job yet but I won't be surprised if he makes a serious case for that job by the time the season is set to begin. In fact, I expect him to make that case. Cassel may start the regular season anyway, if for no other reason than the Vikes open on the road against a good defensive team and then come home to play New England, but the reports on Bridgewater have been positive enough that I really do think he'll seize that QB job sooner rather than later.
Buy: Adrian Peterson healthy and ready to explode. Mike Zimmer mentioned in his Monday press conference that he doesn't believe Adrian Peterson is 30. And when you watch him practice, you understand what Zimmer is talking about. Peterson looks as explosive and powerful as ever, and his cutting and cut back ability is at a level that no one in the NFL could match. He won't play much in the pre-season, but he'll be ready.
I understand what Zimmer meant but he's unnecessarily adding a year to AD's life. There's no reason to believe AD is 30 because he's 29. He won't be 30 until next March. :)
Last edited by Mothman on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.